Closed TopicStart new topic
Keeping UMSF at an 'impressively high level', Please take a moment to read
djellison
post Aug 13 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

He was already there smile.gif We got utterly, entirely, totally lost on the way back from food to his hotel though.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 14 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #62

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Ah. A literal pub crawl, then? biggrin.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 14 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #63

Founder

Fog - a Ford Focus - and 28,000,000 roundabouts.

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 15 2007, 02:57 AM
Post #64

Merciless Robot

I can dig it; New Jersey is much the same way! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Aug 15 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #65

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

I've been told this is an apt description of Milton Keynes:

http://www.thisischurch.com/intercession/i...y29year2004.htm

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 15 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #66

Founder

"We now join together in saying the prayer which Jesus taught his disciples, saying together:-...."

Oh God, why did I go to Milton Keynes.

Doug

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Aug 15 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #67

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (remcook @ Aug 15 2007, 10:13 AM) *
I've been told this is an apt description of Milton Keynes:

Well then you were told wrong. smile.gif

James (from Milton Keynes and proud of it)

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
tty
post Aug 15 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 273

I haven't been to Milton Keynes myself but first heard of it in an (extremely funny) book by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett: "Good Omens".
In this book the resident angel and devil in the United Kingdom both take a considerable interest in building activities (the circum-London motorway for example being one of the devil Crowley's most successful creations).

As for Milton Keynes neither was actually responsible "but both reported it as a success".

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 15 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #69

Merciless Robot

biggrin.gif ...nice line, TTY!

Don't feel bad, James; my home town is much maligned as well. (It's called "Butte", so you can easily guess which end of the jokes it gets for starters... rolleyes.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 16 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 197

Everyone I know has been to Butte -- once.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 16 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #71

Merciless Robot

See what I'm saying?!?? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 16 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 162

When I was in junior high, I recall a family trip to Seattle, and we did go thru Butte on the way there.

I also recall returning to the midwest via Oregon and Utah . . .

huh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 16 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #73

Merciless Robot

Now that hurt, Tasp; surely the logical exit point from the western US was Butte! rolleyes.gif

(Sorry, Doug, but we sure are trashing the title of this thread... tongue.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZorkFox
post Nov 27 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 4495

As a brand new board member, just accepted last night, I wanted to let Doug know that his forum rules were one of the reasons I was pleased to join up. I don't know how much knowledge I have to contribute that will seem new and fresh—and it may be I'll end up lurking to soak up information and learn new things—but just knowing that this place won't be cluttered with electric universe gobbledygook or torrid political rambling makes me happier than I can easily express.

This is going to be awesome.

And I would feel remiss not to shout out to Veronica for suggesting it in the first place. cool.gif

--------------------
The mediocrity of my thinking is concealed by the majesty of my language.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Dec 2 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #75

Guests

Here´s why we need moderators, quoted from kottke.org:

---------------

Does the broken windows theory hold online?
The Economist reports (http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12630201)that experimental tests of the controversial "broken windows theory" of social behavior indicate that the theory is correct.

The most dramatic result, though, was the one that showed a doubling in the number of people who were prepared to steal in a condition of disorder. In this case an envelope with a EUR5 ($6) note inside (and the note clearly visible through the address window) was left sticking out of a post box. In a condition of order, 13% of those passing took the envelope (instead of leaving it or pushing it into the box). But if the post box was covered in graffiti, 27% did. Even if the post box had no graffiti on it, but the area around it was littered with paper, orange peel, cigarette butts and empty cans, 25% still took the envelope.

Here's the 1982 Atlantic article (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/198203/broken-windows) in which the theory was first discussed in a popular forum. (Great article, BTW.)

At the community level, disorder and crime are usually inextricably linked, in a kind of developmental sequence. Social psychologists and police officers tend to agree that if a window in a building is broken and is left unrepaired, all the rest of the windows will soon be broken. This is as true in nice neighborhoods as in rundown ones. Window-breaking does not necessarily occur on a large scale because some areas are inhabited by determined window-breakers whereas others are populated by window-lovers; rather, one unrepaired broken window is a signal that no one cares, and so breaking more windows costs nothing.

Reading these articles, I wondered: how does the broken windows theory apply to online spaces? Perhaps like so:

Much of the tone of discourse online is governed by the level of moderation and to what extent people are encouraged to "own" their words. When forums, message boards, and blog comment threads with more than a handful of participants are unmoderated, bad behavior follows. The appearance of one troll encourages others. Undeleted hateful or ad hominem comments are an indication that that sort of thing is allowable behavior and encourages more of the same. Those commenters who are normally respectable participants are emboldened by the uptick in bad behavior and misbehave themselves. More likely, they're discouraged from helping with the community moderation process of keeping their peers in line with social pressure. Or they stop visiting the site altogether.

Unchecked comment spam signals that the owner/moderator of the forum or blog isn't paying attention, stimulating further improper conduct. Anonymity provides commenters with immunity from being associated with their speech and actions, making the whole situation worse...how does the community punish or police someone they don't know? Very quickly, the situation is out of control and your message board is the online equivalent of South Central Los Angeles in the 1980s, inhabited by roving gangs armed with hate speech, fueled by the need for attention, making things difficult for those who wish to carry on useful conversations.

But what about a site's physical appearance? Does the aesthetic appearance of a blog affect what's written by the site's commenters? My sense is that the establishment of social norms through moderation, both by site owners and by the community itself, has much more of an impact on the behavior of commenters than the visual design of a site but aesthetics does factor in somewhat. Perhaps the poor application of a default MT or Wordpress template signals a lack of care or attention on the part of the blog's owner, leading readers to think they can get away with something. Poorly designed advertising or too many ads littered about a site could result in readers feeling disrespected and less likely to participate civilly or respond to moderation. Messageboard software is routinely ugly; does that contribute to the often uncivil tone found on web forums?

------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.