13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rosetta flyby of Asteroid Lutetia
Guest_cassioli_*
post Jul 27 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #151

Guests

QUOTE (cndwrld @ Jul 26 2010, 11:17 AM) *
FYI, I checked with the science team, and there will not be any more images released from the flyby until after the initial results are presented at a conference in September.

have Steins "further images" ever been released after first ones? huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IM4
post Aug 10 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #152

Group: Members
Member No.: 1172

I am watching Exploration of Near Earth Objects (NEO) Objectives Workshop webcast now. While giviing a talk about ESA activity in this field, M.Coradini presented some latest results from Lutetia flyby. See the screenshot I've made.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Aug 11 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #153

Member No.: 1743

QUOTE (cassioli @ Jul 27 2010, 11:36 AM) *
have Steins "further images" ever been released after first ones? huh.gif

No, afraid not.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
Guest_cassioli_*
post Aug 14 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #154

Guests

QUOTE (cndwrld @ Aug 11 2010, 04:54 PM) *
No, afraid not.

so I think it's over with images for Lutetia too. mad.gif

+Quote Post
cotopaxi
post Aug 20 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #155

Member No.: 4264

A few points to recently raised topics:

1) No NAVCAM images of the Lutetia flyby were downlinked (except for navigation images with the Asteroid as a point source).
2) While I don't know the image release plans after EPSC, all images (Steins and Lutetia) will be archived by PSA and PDS at some point. For Steins, the process is quite advanced as far as I can tell (no, I don't know the publication date).
3) The mass of Lutetia has been accurately determined from the flyby. Densities I have heard talking about are between 2.5 and slightly above 3. A better determination is awaiting an improved volume estimate.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 20 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #156

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (cotopaxi @ Aug 20 2010, 08:54 AM) *
2) While I don't know the image release plans after EPSC, all images (Steins and Lutetia) will be archived by PSA and PDS at some point.

Given that OSIRIS has not archived a single thing to the PSA since launch more than 6 years ago - I will not be holding my breath.

I just hope the engineers on the Rosetta team can start dispatching the 6.5 year of Navcam imagery into the PSA or elsewhere to give space enthusiasts of European origin something to be as proud of as we can be as proud of VMC on MEX.

+Quote Post
cotopaxi
post Aug 21 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #157

Member No.: 4264

Well, while the process is indeed slow, images are not archived one by one. Most data sets are there, and time is spent on negotiations how to have them meet the PSA and PDS standards. Scientific data sets as the asteroid flybys additionally go through a scientific review. Once all is done, much of the mission data can be released simultaneously.

NAVCAM data are foreseen to be archived in PSA at some point, but it´s a low priority (the NAVCAMs are no science instruments).

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 21 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #158

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

ESA's making good progress re image release, but seriously, aaaggghhhh!!!!!! Stop faffing and fannying about, ESA, bite the bullet and follow the MER/CASSINI example and post raw images asap, for the world to see and enjoy, and for people like our very own Image Mages to get stuck into make beautiful images from.

Ees seemples! (eek!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Aug 22 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 1067

Maybe they are afraid that we can make better pictures out of the raw images than they can rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 22 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 523

Well, any picture is better than no picture so in a way that fear is justified... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 18 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #161

Member No.: 1004

a paper presented at the AGU fall meeting: Detection of Water in the Exosphere of (21) Lutetia
as one of the papers on Stardust results puts it: “the distinction between comets and asteroids is, in many cases, simply a matter of aging (loss of volatiles) and orbital parameters”

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 18 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #162

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Names for features on Lutetia:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/images/L...earfeatures.pdf

More information here:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/LUTETIA/target
(some names are not shown on that image)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 19 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #163

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Using just that crater name information I have made a VERY preliminary map of Lutetia in cylindrical projection, mainly to get an idea of what a map might look like. Here are the steps involved, in two illustrations.

Attached Image

A: plot the crater locations on a polar grid.
B: use A to estimate locations of grid lines (0, 30, 60 N, 0, 90, 180, 270 long.) on the image with crater names.
C: use that grid to estimate (VERY crudely) where grid lines might lie on other images.

Attached Image

top: roughly reproject the image to fit the grid (only using the transformations in Photoshop)
bottom: use polar coordinates distortion to reproject that to cylindrical, and add a few extensions south of the equator.

Very crude, but it gives an idea of image coverage and coordinates. Within a year we will probably have a published map which can be used as control for a precise mosaic.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 27 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 1004

It came as a complete surprise to me: a triplet of papers in this week's Science
Images of Asteroid 21 Lutetia: A Remnant Planetesimal from the Early Solar System
Asteroid 21 Lutetia: Low Mass, High Density
The Surface Composition and Temperature of Asteroid 21 Lutetia As Observed by Rosetta/VIRTIS

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Oct 28 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 557

Edited

There was also an article published at a popular web site stating that Lutetia still has a molten core. This is not true. The core solidified long ago.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.