Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 20 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #286

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Jan 20 2012, 05:49 AM) *
Moreover, the cables. In most photos they seem yellow. In others orange to red.

It seems pretty clear that this is due to different light sources and light temperatures. The color in the ribbon ribbon cables should respond to varying light sources in a similar way to other polymers of a similar color. Use the Kapton tape as a color reference since that is a known constant and made of a polymer of a similar color to the ribbons -- and it is everywhere. Re-balance the reference photos so that the tape appears the same in each one. I think that will give you a truer idea of how the ribbon cables' colors are changing in the reference photos due to things like texture, reflections and translucence.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jan 20 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #287

Group: Members
Member No.: 1097

kapton tape in google images gives pictures with a hundred different hues... :/

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 20 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #288

Member No.: 197

Yes. What I meant was to ADJUST the color balance in the Google pictures you are using until all the Kapton tape is the SAME. Then look at the ribbon wires. Pick one example where the whole picture looks good and use that to start with.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jan 20 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #289

uhm... thats what I did in the first place...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quaxo76
post Jan 21 2012, 04:36 AM
Post #290

Member No.: 6306

Hi Scooterlord, first of all, thank you for your reply.
Of course I have never seen "live" NASA cables, so my experience was with everyday cables - the ones that you can find in almost every electronic device these days.

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Jan 20 2012, 02:49 PM) *
Well... first of all it's not the same scratch texture, looks like it's the same but it's not smile.gif Let's discuss the following image..

Left to right, top to bottom we have, ribbon in the idd, hga, mossbauer's ribbon, idd ribbon on mars and extreme close-up of the idd's base.
[...] As you can see they are not smooth at all. [...]

I hadn't seen those pictures before, and I agree the cables don't look absolutely "flat"... but I'd say what I see are the "bumps" due to the dozens of parallel copper tracks running under the lamination, and not "random" manufacturing scratches...

That said, I trust your eyes and judgement, and I fully also appreciate the fact that the only way to be sure either way would be to hold the actual piece in our hands! smile.gif

Cristian

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jan 21 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #291

Sooo... I did a few tests and here is what I came up with... luckily I was a perfectionist about my surfaces and every film is just ONE surface so it helps the texture mapping..

HOWEVER, currently, I CANNOT UV map properly, meaning that with the current beta I can only map only ONE channel on each surface which means I cannot have letters on, etc. So we all have to wait until the final version comes out. I will be progressing with everything else and leave films and some cables for the end.

Cristian, as you may realize, both straight grooves AND random 'scratches' (bumps I'd say) can be seen in the pictures, and the final version will have both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jan 23 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #292

Hello everyone!

New renders... Finally done with the high gain antenna. Tough task, a lot of stuff were missing so I had to model them, plus I had trouble with my program that corrupted my file multiple times :/ Anyway, all done. Here are two renders, a studio one and a 'natural lighting one'..

...Although the HGA's film texture is a bit different than all the rest of the mars rover, I think I will replace the previous ones (when the program finally allows multiple uv channels) with a version somewhere in between the two.

Aditionally, for the ones interested in the 'white' mere, here is another mammoth render at 5400x3038:
http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr/mer-white-final.png

Comments always welcome, and don't forget that all this material can be found gathered in my site.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jan 23 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #293

Member No.: 150

Still without words, waiting for gran finale! wink.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Jan 31 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #294

Hello,

took me some time (actually a lot) to finalize this thing here, but I am finally done! I hope you really enjoy the details...

Click on the link for ULTRA render 3298x3293. Once you get used to the full details it's hard to go back wink.gif EDIT: Sorry, ops, could not get it to recognize link with thumbnail :/

I know a few things are wrong, already fixed them, but I should mention them before you eagle-eyes find them smile.gif

a) in the front render, a small film is missing from the right NavCam.
cool.gif in the front render, a small tie-up goes 'inside' the cabling (glitch) which I fixed.
c) the black texture on the PanCams shows an ugly repeating texture - which is fixed.
d) repeating white texture WILL be fixed in future renders so that the scratches don't repeat so often.
e) I fixed that 'lever' on the PanCams after the eagle-eyed member that found that. Actually it's not a lever, it's something different, modeled it as close as I could

For anything else, I am here for your comments and as always my site is updated with the new renders! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Feb 1 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #295

Member No.: 3988

OMG WOW I nearly fell out of my chair!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

EXCELLENT WORK Scooter!

You continue to surprise. I'm just in amazement every time!

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 1 2012, 04:53 AM
Post #296

Member No.: 150

Fantastic! This stunning render clearly show details hard to explain for me, for example the two tiny grey disks in front/below of miniature thermal emission spectrometer... perhaps temporary PanCam lens covers for cruise phase?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 1 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #297

Exactly.. Took me a while to figure out what they were. Once you know it's easier to model. Tens of hours spent wisely... Hehe.. They are black actually, not grey, just reflecting the sky..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nix
post Feb 1 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #298

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

You are a sick man. The detail is amazing.. these last renders, again, and in particular the mast, gave me a big smile blink.gif

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
Leither
post Feb 1 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #299

Member No.: 1002

Words fail me….. absolutely beautiful. I never realised the Navcam electronic box covers were so mirror like!! The reflection of that cable on the RH box cover is just magic!!!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Leither
post Feb 1 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #300

Member No.: 1002

QUOTE (dilo @ Feb 1 2012, 04:53 AM) *
... perhaps temporary PanCam lens covers for cruise phase?

...but not just cruise, mainly EDL.

Taken from Bell et al: MER Athena Pancam Investigation, Jnl Geophysical Research Vol 108 No E12

"During the cruise and EDL phases of the mission, flexible metallic dust covers are held between the two outer baffles in the sunshade to guard against dust contamination of the sapphire window during airbag impact, roll, and deflation. These EDL dust covers are designed to pop out permanently (and gracefully) the first time the camera bar is deployed on the PMA. After they pop out they remain attached by a short lanyard to the camera bar, but out of the field of view of any of the PMA cameras."

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:10 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.