IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
(Paper) Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud?
centsworth_II
post Oct 4 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

Flurry of tweets at #dps2010:

"Hal Levison proposing protoplanetary disks of *other* nearby stars as source of Oort Cloud comets..."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Oct 4 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4093

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 2 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Since it involves the masses of two bodies, I guess that a sufficiently massive planet could be in solar orbit at a considerable distance (much greater than I'd thought possible).

I thought that the two masses involved in the calculation are M = mass of center of Milky Way (or entire MW?) and m = mass of Sun, making the hillsphere not a variable of whatever circles around the Sun. I may be very very wrong though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Oct 4 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1700

Is there a way to measure the 'wobble' of our own beloved star? Could it be reflected in position data from the Voyagers or Pioneer?

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 5 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #34

Guests

Interesting Tyche theory but different with the Nemesis theory, as the latter is about a Brown Dwarf object (12 to 75 Jupiter masses) or a Red Dwarf star. Tyche theory speaks about a Jovian mass planet 1 to 4 Jupiter masses.
When PAN-STARRS & LSST become operational, astronomers will find out more and we'll see if the sharp outer edge of the Edgeworth-Kuiper belt (and the inclined orbits of SDOs) can be explained.
I believe there's even a theory of a Black Hole in the vicinity of the outer Oort cloud?

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Oct 5 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (Lunik9 @ Oct 5 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Interesting Tyche theory but different with the Nemesis theory, . . . I believe there's even a theory of a Black Hole in the vicinity of the outer Oort cloud?

I think you mean "hypothesis" not "theory" here. From the lack of press releases on the subject from WISE, my own hypothesis is that they didn't find any of these objects within a light year of Sol.

--Greg

+Quote Post
qraal
post Dec 22 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 679

Another paper available on the arXiv which is germane to this discussion is Lorenzo Iorio's piece...

The perihelion precession of Saturn, planet X/Nemesis and MOND

...the abstract of which I quote...

We show that the retrograde perihelion precession of Saturn \Delta\dot\varpi, recently estimated by different teams of astronomers by processing ranging data from the Cassini spacecraft and amounting to some milliarcseconds per century, can be explained in terms of a localized, distant body X, not yet directly discovered. From the determination of its tidal parameter K = GM_X/r_X^3 as a function of its ecliptic longitude \lambda_X and latitude \beta_X, we calculate the distance at which X may exist for different values of its mass, ranging from the size of Mars to that of the Sun. The minimum distance would occur for X located perpendicularly to the ecliptic, while the maximum distance is for X lying in the ecliptic. We find for rock-ice planets of the size of Mars and the Earth that they would be at about 80-150 au, respectively, while a Jupiter-sized gaseous giant would be at approximately 1 kau. A typical brown dwarf would be located at about 4 kau, while an object with the mass of the Sun would be at approximately 10 kau, so that it could not be Nemesis for which a solar mass and a heliocentric distance of about 88 kau are predicted. If X was directed towards a specific direction, i.e. that of the Galactic Center, it would mimick the action of a recently proposed form of the External Field Effect (EFE) in the framework of the MOdified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND).

+Quote Post
kap
post Jul 25 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 6055

QUOTE (qraal @ Dec 22 2010, 01:55 AM) *
Another paper available on the arXiv which is germane to this discussion is Lorenzo Iorio's piece...

The perihelion precession of Saturn, planet X/Nemesis and MOND

...the abstract of which I quote...

Am I correct in thinking only a captured body could be in orbit completely perpendicular to the ecliptic? Something 80-150 AU and the size of Mars or greater certainly would have been seen by now, even if it's orbit was extremely inclined. Unless it's somehow being obscured...

-kap

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.