IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Massive Subsurface Ice Deposits in Southern Hemisphere, MARSIS results - LPSC 2006
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Mar 16 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Guests

Thanks to Doug for pointing out this LPSC update:

Mars Express: Probing the Depths
ftp://ftp.lpi.usra.edu/pub/outgoing/lpsc2006/full102.pdf

Another good article:

Martian Ice: Wide and Deep
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1695_1.asp

"More recently, a shift in Mars Express's orbit has allowed MARSIS to probe the planet's south pole. There the buried ice extends down to 3˝ kilometers (2 miles) under the cap in some places. Water ice appears quite transparent at radar wavelengths, and the ease with which MARSIS's signal penetrates the polar terrain suggests that the ice is relatively pure. "There's at most only a few percent of impurities," team coleader Jeffrey Plaut (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) told planetary scientists meeting in Houston this week.

Potentially more exciting is MARSIS's discovery that huge quantities of ice may underlie a large plain beyond the southern cap called Dorsa Argentea, which covers 3 million square kilometers, about 2% of the planet's surface. Geologists originally thought Dorsa Argentea was a volcanic plain, but James W. Head III (Brown University) and others recently realized that a broad ice sheet must lie beneath its dusty surface. Plaut reported that MARSIS has found multiple layers stacked beneath Dorsa Argentea to depths of up to 500 meters — and if they’re all ice, they represent a reservoir large enough to cover the entire planet with water to a depth of about 10 meters (30 feet)."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bart
post Mar 16 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

While that's great news, I think the comment about covering the whole planet to a depth of 10 meters is a bit misleading. They just took the 500m depth of the deposit and multiplied it by the 2% of the Martian surface that it covers - that gives 10m. If you melted the whole Dorsa Argentea deposit, taking the actual relief of the Martian surface into account, you'd wind up with something like image #9 on Magnus Lundstedt's Water Oceans on Mars page.

Bart

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Mar 16 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Guests

Also:

Big New Reservoir of Water Ice Suspected Under Mars
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/d...under-mars.html

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 17 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #4

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Bart @ Mar 16 2006, 09:15 PM) *
you'd wind up with something like image #9 on Magnus Lundstedt's Water Oceans on Mars page.

Serioius props to Magnus for having a relevant model to put some PR science to the test at just the right time.
Also excellent point Bart by the way - excellent use of the material on hand. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Mar 17 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Guests

Regardless of how much of the surface may be theoretically covered by any melted ice, there is apparently a lot of subsurface ice, both "wide and deep" as New Scientist puts it, a very significant finding... I look forward to MRO's studies.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 19 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 430

'Hourglass'-shaped crater - new video and perspectives

This video and accompanying images, taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera
(HRSC) on board ESA's Mars Express spacecraft, show an unusual flow deposit on
the floors of two adjacent impact craters in the eastern Hellas Planitia region,
indicating possible glacial processes.

Full story at:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEM618NVGJE_0.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 20 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #7

Guests

The business about there being lots of ice under Dorsa Argentea is something important that they really did manage to keep under wraps until the actual LPSC conference -- there's not a whisper about it in any of the abstracts.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Mar 20 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 174

Mariner 7 saw a ragged semi-circular scarp in the south Polar region that I believe corresponds to a degraded and mostly buried impact basin. MOLA data shows it rather well. I wonder if the deepest 3.5 km thicknesses inferred for the dusty ice deposits penetrated by MARSIS are in layered deposits superimposed on the depressed region corresponding to this basin?

+Quote Post
jaywee
post Apr 27 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 363

I haven't seen this mentioned on the forum yet - there was very interresting MARSIS lecture by Dr. Jeffrey Plaut, co-PI of MARSIS. link

+Quote Post
Harder
post Aug 29 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 434

I just received the new ESA Bulletin and it is mentioned that "The MARSIS radar has made significant discoveries during the last nighttime season; they will be published shortly"
Let's hope we'll be on the front-row when the discoveries are published. I'm not aware that we have an ESA equivalent of Dr. Stern in our midst but it is never too late of course smile.gif
Peter

+Quote Post
Harder
post Oct 16 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 434

Time has passed... we now write 16th Oct as the day when a new trickle of info is published:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMADOV74TE_0.html

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Oct 16 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #12

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

So there is plenty of water for the heated swimming pools when we colonise the place. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 16 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 197

I can appreciate the artistic enhancement that is added in many of these Mars Express images, but that image of Vastitas Borealis is just plain weird looking. Does anyone know if this is an overlay of a MARSIS image? Or just some over-zealous image retouching?

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMADOV74TE_0.html

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 19 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #14

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

News from OMEGA:
Did I read "geyser"?... blink.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 19 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Yes, you did...now let's see ME and/or MRO prove it! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.