Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mercury mosaics from January 2008 Flyby
ugordan
post Jul 14 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Approach wide-angle movie:

54 binned RGB sets total, from 2008-01-14 00:05:01 UTC (400 000 km range) to 2008-01-14 17:43:52 UTC (29 500 km range).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 15 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #17

Sigh.

(no, this ain't yet another one of my postage-stamp sized composites)

Just when I was finally able to do all calibration steps, a calibrated data volume (!) appears at the PDS, containing both the radiometrically calibrated and I/F calibrated data. The old directory VP posted in the first post was renamed to http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messe...s_1001_new_old/. There's also one more dir: http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messenger/msgrmds_1001/, which I suspect is the same as the former one.

Calibrated data, people. Dig in!

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 15 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

meh, ISIS3 worked just fine for me. Though I guess it helps that Mercury isn't as bland as Venus, so some of calibration issues you mentioned don't show up in the MESSENGER images.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 15 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 15 2008, 10:21 AM) *

Yummy. Now I'm glad I didn't find the time to play with this data set before! I'm updating my Cassini pages first, then I'll get back to this...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 15 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jul 15 2008, 08:36 PM) *
meh, ISIS3 worked just fine for me. Though I guess it helps that Mercury isn't as bland as Venus, so some of calibration issues you mentioned don't show up in the MESSENGER images.

I meant to ask this earlier: if you have access to ISIS, how come you didn't geometrically reproject the mosaics? I'd die (not literally, though) for a piece of software that can do that, I don't have the knowledge or will to be reinventing the wheel and writing my own reprojection software.

BTW, those were actually Mercury wide-angle departure frames, not Venus where I noticed calibration 'issues'. I'll be sure to check the calibrated products to see if the same thing's present there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 15 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #21

Mainly because I'm lazy laugh.gif Seriously, it takes a lot longer to geometrically correct these images than it is to let a program do all the transforms automatically. With Cassini, I get paid to spend the time to geometrically correct the images, so I'm a lot more willing to spend that extra time...

It also helps that ISIS doesn't have the info on the Mercury flyby geometry and I am not as familiar with ISIS3 to know how to fix that. I could do that with ISIS2 if that version supported MESSENGER.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 15 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #22

I might be persuaded to give the WAC color mosaic a try, but I can't promise anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 17 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #23

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 15 2008, 06:21 PM) *
Sigh.

(no, this ain't yet another one of my postage-stamp sized composites)

Just when I was finally able to do all calibration steps, a calibrated data volume (!) appears at the PDS, containing both the radiometrically calibrated and I/F calibrated data. The old directory VP posted in the first post was renamed to http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messe...s_1001_new_old/. There's also one more dir: http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messenger/msgrmds_1001/, which I suspect is the same as the former one.

Looks like I really should check out UMSF more often than I do wink.gif. Having spent some time figuring out that http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/messenger/msgrmds_2001/ is the volume I want (reason: it's calibrated data) I see I could have saved some time by reading this thread earlier wink.gif.

Back to downloading.

Now if only there was such a thing as calibrated Cassini volumes...

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 15 2008, 06:53 PM) *
I meant to ask this earlier: if you have access to ISIS, how come you didn't geometrically reproject the mosaics? I'd die (not literally, though) for a piece of software that can do that, I don't have the knowledge or will to be reinventing the wheel and writing my own reprojection software.

My software can do this and in retrospect this was a fairly easy feature to add - in general, considerably easier than e.g. the the Galileo and Cassini calibration stuff (but very different of course). Maybe I should clean it up a bit and release it...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 17 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #24

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Hi Bjorn, if you're looking for encouragement, I'll speak up to say "Yes, please!" biggrin.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 17 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #25

The only problem is, I don't trust built-in geometry one iota. I guess if the images are high res enough, it doesn't matter, but with global to regional scale mosaics, it can be a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 17 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #26

Bjorn, sign me up as an interested party as well! As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even have to be 'cleaned-up', I'm used to rudimentary interfaces when dealing with my own software anyway. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 17 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #27

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Some words on img2png and the MDIS imagery would be good- - which tags we should be using for calibrated results.

D

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #28

A 5000x5000 color mosaic made from the NAC departure mosaic #4 (30-odd frames) and colorized using the WAC global color view. Non-gamma corrected so the contrast and colors are enhanced.

Click image for full resolution view (9 megabytes).

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 20 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #29

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

ohmy.gif ....good grief, that's just stunning. I could spend hours looking at this. Thanks for the gift, G, sincerely. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jul 20 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 103

Wow, that's almost as big as the planet itself! Incredible detail. You can even see the rim in profile of a crater on the limb at 4:00. The detail at the terminator is mesmerizing.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.