3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Star 48b Third-stage Motor, Leaving the solar system
Alan Stern
post Jan 22 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Redstone @ Jan 22 2006, 04:19 PM)
"C/A is at 32 RJ"

For comparison, the outermost Galilean moon, Callisto, is at about 26 RJ.

Alan, thanks for all the details. Do you have any idea yet what targets look promising for the Jupiter encounter?

...I will in a couple of weeks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Jan 22 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 89

Hi Alan, hi all,

after checking the Jupiter encounter date in the Guide8 software I see all Galilean satellites on the left side of the planet, the aim point from NH, I suspect, is on the right side, isnt, it?
Only Himalia could be possible better placed, but I have no depth information currently. I recall that Cassini encounters Himalia a few days ahead of the main Jupiter encounter.

Attached Image

By the way congratulations Alan for the perfect launch of the NH spacecraft and many wishes for a flawless mission !!

Robert

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 22 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

But - that will put them in a good position to image their dark sides in Jupiter shine smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
john_s
post Jan 22 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 22 2006, 07:56 PM)
But - that will put them in a good position to image their dark sides in Jupiter shine smile.gif

Doug

I think Jupiter deserves a dedicated thread, so I just started one here

John.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jan 23 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 385

Thanks Alan for the detailed info. Indeed, NH will break a new trip record between Earth and Mars with 2 months and 19 days. The old record trip record between Earth and Mars, I think, is held by Mariner IX which took 166 days (5 months and 16 days, at May 30, 1971-Nov 14, 1971). It is a milestone! wink.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 24 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Jan 22 2006, 11:17 AM)
We are setting up for our first course correction. Without it we would miss Pluto
by millions of miles. The third stage has no ability to make a course correction
and will therefore miss by this amount.
Alan, was there any deliberate trajectory bias by the LV for any reason, or are the TCMs needed strictly to correct unplanned (albeit very minor) injection errors?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #22

Founder

I'd thought the same Alex - the Mars policy of targetting off-target, so that the fact you have a healthy spacecraft to adjust its course back to target means that it isnt going to plough straight into the planet - or perhaps in this case Europa?

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 24 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 24 2006, 12:17 AM)
I'd thought the same Alex - the Mars policy of targetting off-target, so that the fact you have a healthy spacecraft to adjust its course back to target means that it isnt going to plough straight into the planet - or perhaps in this case Europa?
I'd never heard of any planned Jupiter aimpoint biasing; indeed, I remember Alan posting that New Horizons was a Category III mission for planetary protection purposes.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #24

Founder

Ahhh - in that case, it's going to be just residuals from the LV I'd imagine.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 24 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 24 2006, 12:39 AM)
Ahhh - in that case, it's going to be just residuals from the LV I'd imagine.
You're probably right, but maybe it's possible that an injection bias was planned for other, operational reasons (e.g., to extend the daily launch window). I guess it's one of those loose ends that niggle away at me.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 24 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Jan 24 2006, 12:14 AM)
Alan, was there any deliberate trajectory bias by the LV for any reason, or are the TCMs needed strictly to correct unplanned (albeit very minor) injection errors?

The latter.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 02:09 AM
Post #27

Founder

It niggled away with me as well, I guess when you're getting THAT much of a kick, even 100m/s could be considered damn accurate - thanks for 'de-niggling' it Alan smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jan 24 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jan 23 2006, 01:14 PM)
Thanks Alan for the detailed info. Indeed, NH will break a new trip record between Earth and Mars with 2 months and 19 days. The old record trip record between Earth and Mars, I think, is held by Mariner IX which took 166 days (5 months and 16 days, at May 30, 1971-Nov 14, 1971). It is a milestone!  wink.gif

The NH time of flight is for Earth to Mars orbit. Mars will be far away when NH crosses Mars orbit. For the purpose of records, there are two categories. One is from Earth to a Mars encounter (some arbitrary distance, e.g. 1000 km of Mars surface. Second is from Earth to Mars orbit. For the second case, I would guess the old record was held by Ulysses.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #29

Founder

I guess it depends if you want to include the journey for Galileo and Cassini from their last Earth Flybys to Mars orbit. It's cheating, and I don't know the figures, but it would be an interesting comparison.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 24 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #30

Guests

Even where actual trips from Earth to Mars itself are concerned, Mariner 9 isn't the record holder -- the Atlas-Centaur had so much excess capacity for the much lighter 1969 Mariner Mars flyby craft that they were able to pound them to Mars in only 5 and 4 months, with a leisurely 1-month gap between launches. I imagine this record will stand for a while.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.