Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mercury Flyby 1
ugordan
post Jan 15 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (As old as Voyager @ Jan 15 2008, 06:39 PM) *
Looking at JPL's Solar System Simulator - That dot is very close to where Earth should be as seen from MESSENGER.

*sigh* Again?

This is SSS view at the time of the last frame in question, using MESSENGER NAC field-of-view in that it preserves pixel sizes.

This is the view at the time Earth was at that relative position, again NAC FOV. This is the same view, zoomed out to twice the WAC FOV.

It cannot possibly be Earth.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ollopa
post Jan 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #212

Member No.: 113

Looks like Ulysses could be troubleshooting for several days. This from the Operations Summary:

15 January EPC 1/TWTA 1 Switch off/on Test 1 - 015.01:18 ERT.
Operational test to validate future mode of operations.
Failure to re-acquire X-band downlink at the expected time.
Commands to switch EPC/TWTA 1 repeated without success.
S/C now configured to S-band downlink.

16 January TBD

17 January TBD

18 January PPSP configuration change - GRU ON - 018.hh:mm SCET.

It's at http://ulysses-ops.jpl.esa.int/ulsfct/opssumm.html

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 15 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #213

Things always seem to work themselves out, don't they? Oh well, at least MESSENGER didn't have a cosmic ray trip 30 minutes or so after C/A.

Do they really need the 70m dish to receive from basically our neighborhood?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 15 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #214

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I hate to sound mean, but if they were testing some new operations mode that involved turning the transmitter off and on in the middle of the Messenger flyby, they ought to have to wait until the Messenger data is downloaded. This is probably my impatience speaking rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Jan 15 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #215

Member No.: 758

At noon today, the highgain download from MESSENGER was to start, but... my spy in the APL Kremlin reports (I got the email at 12:31 PM) that Ulysses (which is north of the sun on it's polar pass) declared an emergency, AND the 70 meter DSN dish that was to be used has a transmitter problem. So NO high gain down load today from Mercury space.

But the housekeeping data from MESSENGER says that the observations were completed and the data is stored. :-)

Rob

Need more DSN...

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Jan 15 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #216

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (robspace54 @ Jan 15 2008, 06:57 PM) *
Need more DSN...

The state of the Deep Space Network seems to be the hot issue of the moment - competing priorities, dwindling resources.
It's like doing a very good weekly shop, and then getting home to find your fridge ain't big enough...

+Quote Post
jsheff
post Jan 15 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #217

Member No.: 411

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jan 15 2008, 12:16 PM) *
But such small objects would be inherently unstable as light pressure and various effects related to it would destabilize the orbits quickly, no?

I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out just on orbital stability grounds. Nature has a way of surprising us with all kinds of orbital resonance tricks up its sleeve. It was within my lifetime that everyone was convinced that one side of Mercury always faced the Sun. More to the point, wasn't it at one of the M10 flybys that the UV instrument folks thought (and maybe even announced!) that they had seen a satellite around Mercury? I mention this just to show that the Mercury satellite idea, while unlikely, is not totally out of the question.

- John Sheff
Cambridge, MA

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 15 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #218

Member No.: 184

Here's a quick (and preliminary) Mercury map update. This utilizes Ted Stryk's color Mariner 10 mosaic and part of his recent colorized Messenger approach image.

Attached Image

Nice to witness such a planetary encounter in the internet age.

Steve

(image revised 1/15 2020 UTC)

+Quote Post
jabe
post Jan 15 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #219

Member No.: 201

seems that no pics to be released today..
check here for blog entry at planetary society.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 15 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #220

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Quick change to that -- just got a call from Louise saying they may release that one image late this evening after all, i.e. in the wee hours for those of you in Europe.

I've been told that on top of the Ulysses anomaly, both Mars Express and Dawn have gone in to safe mode ohmy.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 15 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #221

Great, now I have to stay up! It's Iapetus all over again!

BTW, what is it with these statistical chances of timing safe modes at the most inconvenient time? One safing event is a fluke, but three is just obnoxious. It's a conspiracy on spacecrafts' part, I tell ya.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jabe
post Jan 15 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #222

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 15 2008, 08:46 PM) *
both Mars Express and Dawn have gone in to safe mode ohmy.gif
--Emily

Yikes!! mars express is one thing but to have DAWN go into SAFE mode is another..ok..I'm more partial to the dawn mission smile.gif Lets hope all gets worked out ok..maybe this will get more funding for a few more 70 m dishes smile.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 15 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 15 2008, 08:46 PM) *
I've been told that on top of the Ulysses anomaly, both Mars Express and Dawn have gone in to safe mode ohmy.gif

Are these events related? Have we had a pulse of something nasty passing through the Solar System?

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Jan 15 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #224

Member No.: 190

Well its not the sun, that's for sure. http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/sunspots/ three probes going into safe mode at the same time seems highly improbable. My money is on a very large GRB.

+Quote Post
gcecil
post Jan 15 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #225

Member No.: 3138

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jan 15 2008, 12:16 PM) *
But such small objects would be inherently unstable as light pressure and various effects related to it would destabilize the orbits quickly, no?

Nope Phil et al, there ARE stable satellite orbits, over 5 Myr timescales. Here's the poster that I saw at the Orlando DPS. Johan Warell gave me a quick rundown just before my talk on our non-Mariner hemisphere imaging.

An Optical Imaging Survey for Faint Mecurian Satellites
Johan Warell1, O. Karlsson1
1Uppsala Univ., Sweden.
Presentation Number: 25.03
Facility Keywords: NOT
We present the results of an imaging survey of Mercury's Hill sphere in search for objects dynamically bound to the planet, motivated by the existence of hermeocentric orbits that have been shown to be stable over 5 Myr or more. A six-day survey of Mercury's apparent vicinity from 6 to 140 Mercury radii, with full coverage between 19 and 73 Mercury radii, was performed with the Nordic Optical Telescope on La Palma using ALFOSC in the R-band. The deepest limiting magnitude of 18.6 at a signal-to-noise-level of 3 corresponds to a hermeocentric object size of 0.5 km, while the brightest limiting magnitude corresponds to a size of 1.6 km. While two suspected sources were found, no hermeocentric objects could be confidently identified.
Our survey significantly improves on the results obtained from Mariner 10 data both in terms of aerial coverage and smallest detectable object size, but still no hermeocentric satellite has been identified. This result is however not unexpected for two reasons. Firstly, the survey size limit is 1.6 km, and as any objects likely to be in orbit are of impact debris or captured Inner Earth Object origin, existing natural satellites are probably significantly smaller. Secondly, though the dynamical lifetime of close hermeocentric objects (mean semimajor axes smaller than 30 Mercury radii) are of the order of at least 5 Myr, major impacts capable of ejecting substantial debris fragments are not very likely to have occurred during the past several Myr. This survey is not able to make predictions on the probability of existence of small hermeocentric objects (in the size range less than decameters), which remain undetected. These have to await possible discovery in close-range searches from the MESSENGER and BepiColombo spacecraft

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.