IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unmanned landing sites from LRO, Surveyors, Lunas, Lunakhods and impact craters from hardware impacts
nprev
post Mar 28 2018, 03:51 AM
Post #166

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hmm. Sounds like a #2 splat is more probable, then. A #4 splat (total, near-simultaneous descent thruster system failure after retro jettison) might also explain it, esp. if they did fire for a bit but cut off prematurely, which would also explain the apparently very good targeting.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 28 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #167

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

It would be so cool if some of those private company landings (Lunar Express, etc.) launching soon were targeted to this location to get the ground truth. Since they aren't scientific missions, they could play a part in solving some of these space age mysteries. It's a crash site already, so it's not like landing at the Apollo sites, which raises heritage issues...plus practicing precision landings is always a useful exercise!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 30 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #168

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

There are probably more interesting targets! And remember this is only a suggestion, it might not be correct. A bigger splat like a Saturn SIVB stage impact might be more exciting to look at close up. Right now, though, most of the people who want to fly commercial missions are looking at doing science rather than just sightseeing. PTScientists are looking at landing in the Taurus-Littrow valley and inspecting the Apollo 17 rover, but other post-GLXP teams are focussed on science, hoping for a boost for future missions if they can demonstrate their technology works.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Mar 30 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 7273

You could make the argument that these splats are worth scientific investigation, because they're likely to expose blocks of "fresher" rock from within the regolith or even solid crust (depending on penetration depth and what not). They're not in-situ, but you're also able to get a look at larger samples without having to grind away on them to get a fresh surface.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Mar 31 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 1241

I saw your post on Surveyor 4 and dug up my old candidate files...
These are NAC images with illumination from West, Small incident, East , and Terminator (west)
The Object is at 0.407N, -1.3493W
It is probably a rock (sigh)
I forget how much I blew them up, but they are all the same scale (3x?)
anyway it's a nice little shadow casting object near the landing point...
here is a GIF ...

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 8 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #171

Member No.: 759

Going back a little, to the chat about LM impact images (and Post #384 by dvandorn about seismic detection)... they all came in at low incidence angles, quite unlike the SIVBs, hence the "smear" effect of tumbling debris in multiple dark streaks. Might this not produce a quite different seismic result than direct impacts from the virtually overhead descent of the SIVBs?

+Quote Post
Liss
post Feb 26 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 439

I’d like a possibility to be checked that I’ve found Luna 9 in LRO images.
Expected:
Two objects of different size, namely E6 descent stage and the Luna 9 probe, landed in the vicinity of 7.13 N 64.37 W according to the TASS report of 06 Feb 1966.
Found:
Two bright objects of different brightness, with long shadows, 130 meters apart, at approximately 7.02 N 64.33 W.
Positions:
M132071202LE
Larger one – Line=23370, Sample=1379
Smaller one – Line=23220, Sample=1645
See attached fragment (N at bottom, E at left)
M114376090RE
Larger one – Line=27910, Sample=3828
Smaller one – Line=28056, Sample=4073
M132071202LE
Smaller one – Line=23660, Sample=275
Larger one – off picture but a black scar (?) seen at L=23706, S=66
Cross-posted in Russian at http://novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/forum/forum...255/?PAGEN_1=91
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 27 2020, 01:02 AM
Post #173

It's always interesting to see attempts to find one of the early Luna landers.

In this case, first, can you show with arrows which objects you think are the lander and the descent stage? There is one particularly large object but there are at least two smaller ones. (ADDED later: OK, I see you did that in the post on the Russian forum).

Second, the coordinates given at the time were not very reliable, with an uncertainty of about 30 km (1 degree on the Moon). The landing should be in an area within about 30 km of the stated position, not necessarily right there.

Third point - we don't have to rely only on looking for objects on the surface. Luna 9 took images which include a full 360 degree panorama showing about 200 degrees of the horizon (south, west and north of the lander). That horizon is flat, a point which I have argued for years to imply that the lander is not where the early reports said, near a range of 1000 m high hills, but must be far enough away that the hills are hidden below the local horizon. That local horizon could be a gentle ridge or degraded crater rim, so we can't just use the geometry of a featureless spherical moon to calculate a distance from the suggested point. Your coordinates are at the east end of the range of hills, and the western horizon from that location would not be flat. I personally prefer to look further north, maybe about 7.9 north, 64.2 west. But there is room for a lot of variation in those values.

And since we have images, a rough map of the landing site can be made and the pattern of craters can be compared with the LRO images. Now what we need is an object representing the lander, an object representing the descent stage, AND several craters with sizes and positions matching the lander images.

I will compare lander images and your LRO image in a later post. I do believe the search can be made successfully, but I don't think your identification is correct. I actually think Luna 13 will be easier to find than Luna 9 because the features seen in the distant landscape are clearer. For Luna 9 the distant landscape is down-sun and all washed out.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 27 2020, 01:54 AM
Post #174

OK, here is a comparison of the suggested features with two versions of maps of the site.

1. The LRO image (rotated north-up) with two identified features, from the link in the previous post.
Attached Image

2. Shaded relief version (by me) of the original Soviet published map (from 'First Panoramas of the Lunar Surface').
Attached Image

3. A different interpretation of surface features, by me, derived from a reprojected panorama.
Attached Image

The differences between the two maps from Luna 9 images show how difficult it is to map the surface from a camera at such a low elevation above the surface.

I don't see any obvious matches.

Since we don't see the descent stage in the lander images, most likely it is east of the lander (or northeast or southeast), excluded from the tilted panorama. It might also lie west of the lander in an area in the foreground which was also not imaged.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Liss
post Feb 27 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 27 2020, 04:54 AM) *
The differences between the two maps from Luna 9 images show how difficult it is to map the surface from a camera at such a low elevation above the surface.
I don't see any obvious matches.

Thank you Phil.
The Luna 9 maps show area some 15 meters in diameter; I'm not sure if these can be matched against LRO photos.
A 1967 description of Luna 9 say it rests in the western slope of a depression of 14-15 meters in diameter, hence the tilt to the east. Such a depression should probably have been visible.
Also, we should expect two fresh craters in the vicinity where two equipment sections crashed after separation at descent brake start.

+Quote Post
Shan
post Oct 31 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #176

Member No.: 8895

May be this is the elusive Luna9 we are looking for?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shan
post Oct 31 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #177

May be this is the elusive Luna9 we are looking for? There is small mark from NorthWest (25m from where it would have landed & rolled off?)

The crater to the right is 6m in length
    Landed near to a crater with diameter of 210-360m ( North of the landing spot there is a crater with length of 360m)
    There is a SouthWest small Hill feature at a distance of 7.5 km(Not sure whether it will be visible)
    LRO Images are from 0.44,0.52m resolutions

To the Southern Side is the feature next to Plantia Descencus (The height of is 600m & I am not sure whether they would be visible from a distance of 7.5km due to Moon's curvature)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 31 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #178

That's quite a good match to nearby features, better than what I usually see. I have highlighted one object which I think should be very apparent in the images but is missing. I feel that the feature in the area of my 'crater E' should be more prominent.

I don't mean to be eternally negative, but this is a very difficult problem to solve and only the most convincing evidence is good enough.

It would be useful to know where this is. The issue of the mountains near the usually reported position has to be addressed. Shan had previously suggested a location in the hills south of the usual position but I didn't like the topography nearby which I felt would not allow a flat horizon to the south and west.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shan
post Nov 1 2020, 05:13 AM
Post #179

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 1 2020, 12:01 AM) *
That's quite a good match to nearby features, better than what I usually see. I have highlighted one object which I think should be very apparent in the images but is missing. I feel that the feature in the area of my 'crater E' should be more prominent.

I don't mean to be eternally negative, but this is a very difficult problem to solve and only the most convincing evidence is good enough.

It would be useful to know where this is. The issue of the mountains near the usually reported position has to be addressed. Shan had previously suggested a location in the hills south of the usual position but I didn't like the topography nearby which I felt would not allow a flat horizon to the south and west.

Phil

Attached Image

Sent you the co-ordinates in a message with links

Yes there is something visible as you said see the below images and One is the normalized without any zoom & another one is a zoomed in picture.. And also attached a Gif of the same area under different lighting conditions & the object lighting remains almost the same with darkness underneath due to soil disturbance?

There are some debris to the South East side but I don't see any craters ( The images I have attached here are 0.44m resolution)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shan
post Nov 4 2020, 01:56 AM
Post #180

QUOTE (Shan @ Nov 1 2020, 10:43 AM) *
Sent you the co-ordinates in a message with links

Yes there is something visible as you said see the below images and One is the normalized without any zoom & another one is a zoomed in picture.. And also attached a Gif of the same area under different lighting conditions & the object lighting remains almost the same with darkness underneath due to soil disturbance?

There are some debris to the South East side but I don't see any craters ( The images I have attached here are 0.44m resolution)

The only thing I doubt is all the reports mention it should be on the western slope of a small depression so the tilt to east

Lat:7.506
Lon:295.508

https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/query?extent=...teQDeAvgLqlFmlA

Is the Western slope means the slope is from east to west? and the place where I am exactly showing is 2m below the surface

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.