4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev166: May 11th - May 28th 2012, Tethys, Methone, Titan
jasedm
post May 21 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Methone is very reminiscent of Pallene - peanut-shaped and very smooth. Interesting.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian R
post May 21 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #17

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

My attempt at an enhanced, IR-GRN-UV view:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 21 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 542

That's interesting. The smooth shape says it's a snowdrift with a young surface, but the albedo differences can't be accounted for that way. How would the lighter and darker patches perpetuate themselves? Maybe there's a postive feedback loop (like Iapetus) that is sufficiently vigorous to keep up with the 'snowfall'.

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post May 21 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (machi @ May 21 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Wow! This must be the biggest egg in the Universe! smile.gif

I hope the Angry Birds Space people are paying attention....

Jeff

+Quote Post
Xerxes
post May 22 2012, 04:21 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4097

Submitted for your derision: my first attempt at processing Cassini data, an approach movie for Methone. The noise algorithm clearly needs some work...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
tasp
post May 22 2012, 04:34 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 162

Would the presumed particles coating the surface (if it isn't that way all the way through) be charged and discharged by Saturn's magnetic field and 'sorted' somehow by size (or something) and that is making the albedo variations? Or maybe the particles are not spherical, and their orientation is aligned that way and that makes them look different in different regions.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 22 2012, 04:35 AM
Post #22

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Good job. I tried something similar, painting out the cosmic ray hits, but there were so many that I realized I wasn't so much painting things out as I was painting a picture of Methone, so I quit. I think it probably is better to leave them in, for now. Once we can get our hands on data that's not been JPEG-compressed, it'll be substantially easier to remove them.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post May 22 2012, 05:19 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 557

Very pleased indeed that they got these good shots of Methone.

Albedo variations?!?

As usual, I had no idea what to expect. But whatever it was that I was not expecting, this wasn't it.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 22 2012, 05:33 AM
Post #24

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ May 21 2012, 10:19 PM) *
As usual, I had no idea what to expect. But whatever it was that I was not expecting, this wasn't it.

biggrin.gif My sentiments exactly!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 22 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1004

I get the feeling that Methone is not unlike Atlas: it probably has a solid core and a smooth cover of ring dust, as dense as freshly fallen snow, filling its minuscule Roche "sphere of gravitational influence". don't forget that Methone has its own ringlet from which to collect dust. too bad we don't have a reliable estimate for its mass, otherwise it would be easy to compute the size of its sphere of influence. I bet it's of the order of 6 km across...

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post May 24 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 4081

Fascinating object. Cometary size and incredible smoothness like some parts of comets visited by spacecraft in the last decade (see below). Could methone be a captured comet, its passage around the sun vaporizing the volatiles on/in its surface, smoothing its crust and perhaps passing too close to Saturn (in or outbound) and thus captured in its altered state???
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post May 24 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (titanicrivers @ May 23 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Fascinating object. Cometary size and incredible smoothness like some parts of comets visited by spacecraft in the last decade (see below). Could methone be a captured comet, its passage around the sun vaporizing the volatiles on/in its surface, smoothing its crust and perhaps passing too close to Saturn (in or outbound) and thus captured in its altered state???

Lots of the other tiny moons might fit that description, and they're all basically pieces of the ring system, so it's unlikely they're a comet. The 2010 photos of Calypso are striking. Atlas, too.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 24 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 5221

What hemisphere are we looking at here, trailing or leading (or a combination of both)?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 24 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (stevesliva @ May 24 2012, 04:18 AM) *
Lots of the other tiny moons might fit that description, and they're all basically pieces of the ring system, so it's unlikely they're a comet. The 2010 photos of Calypso are striking. Atlas, too.

beside, a captured comet would likely end in a distant, irregular orbit. Methone is in a stable, almost circular orbit deep into the Saturnian system. and an object jumping from the former to the latter would be far more likely to crash on a large moon like Titan, Iapetus or Rhea than to reach the final orbit.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post May 24 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 655

In passing, a milestone of distance travelled for Cassini on this last revolution - see attached...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.