IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

81 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Crossing the Dunes at Murray Buttes, Sites 54-62, Sols 1353-1659, May 28 2016-Apr 6 2017
jvandriel
post Jun 3 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1357.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 4 2016, 03:03 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6853

Curiosity Mission Update by Ken Herkenhoff, dated 03 Jun 2016. Sols 1361-1363: Drilling Oudam:
The MSL Rover Planners have all the data they need to drill (no "mini-drill" required), so the plan for this weekend focuses on drilling into the Oudam bedrock target. The full drill is scheduled for Sol 1361, followed by MAHLI and Mastcam images of the new hole. The rover will then rest until Sol 1362, when the drill sample will be transferred to the scoop for Mastcam imaging and sieved. A fine-grained (<0.15 mm) portion of the sample then will be dropped into CheMin for an overnight mineralogical analysis. After the CheMin data are read out of the instrument on Sol 1363, Mastcam will take a multispectral set of images of the drill tailings and a Right Mastcam mosaic of an outcrop southeast of the rover. In addition, ChemCam and Mastcam will observe a vein target named "Onganja" and a bedrock target dubbed "Ongeama," and Navcam will search for dust devils. Another busy weekend for MSL!

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 4 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #18

Sol 1361 MAHLI, our latest sample hole at Oudam smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 4 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

smile.gif

Also:

Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 5 2016, 02:03 AM
Post #20

Always enjoy Emily's montage's of MSL's drill sites, Each time it is published I wonder how large that montage will be when the mission is complete smile.gif

Here is a rough animation. No movement of the bedrock this time

Link to full size LINK

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 6 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 3988

Here is my version of the drill hole gif. I haven't seen this done before, but I thought it would be interesting to see the hole without the drill tailings like it was brushed or blown away by the wind as well as what the hole may look like many years down the road after long term dust settling again.

Edit: For those that didn't know, Curiosity carries a 1909 VDB lincoln wheat penny on MAHLI's calibration target for inserting into images like this for scale.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 6 2016, 03:11 AM
Post #22

Oh and that penny in the future image of the hole must have some magical dust repelling properties tongue.gif

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 7 2016, 03:58 AM
Post #23

Sol 1363 L-MastCam Rover Deck / CHEMIN Inlet Port Cover.
An interesting pattern of the surface dust has developed on the outside of the cover.

I looked back at the early images of the deck instruments acquired on sol 36, these show the port covers from SAM in the open / closed positions and were featured by JPL in a rather nice animation at the time. However in a short search I did not find an image of the open CHEMIN port cover, as I suspect the pattern may match strengthening ribs on the underside of the cover. Has anyone seen any manufacturing / assemble stage images of this cover?
Note: The pattern is visible in both the 'before and after' images related to inserting a sample. I can't recall observing this on earlier images.

My question is... How did the pattern form?

Thinking out loud, we could have had some frost or differential condensation on the cover followed by a dusting event that resulted in the pattern we see today. Any other ideas welcome smile.gif
I'm also wondering if we will be able to observe the formation of patterns on SAM's covers, after placing the Oudam sample inside in the coming days.
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 7 2016, 05:58 AM
Post #24

More mud cracks? (raw Sol 1352 R-MastCam)
Attached Image

Edit... There are a lot more examples, full mosaic to follow once I have all the images smile.gif

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 7 2016, 07:43 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 6 2016, 08:58 PM) *
Note: The pattern is visible in both the 'before and after' images related to inserting a sample. I can't recall observing this on earlier images.

My question is... How did the pattern form?

It is clearly an exact imprint of the fidicual target that is seen here in the pre launch mastcam selfie in the thermal vac chamber. Now the question is why is this still visible if it was removed before launch? Perhaps left over adhesive and dust or frost is clinging to it now making it more visible? Hmmm....

http://marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/news/wh...amp;NewsID=1130

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 7 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Jun 7 2016, 03:43 PM) *
It is clearly an exact imprint of the fidicual target that is seen here in the pre launch mastcam selfie in the thermal vac chamber. Now the question is why is this still visible if it was removed before launch? Perhaps left over adhesive and dust or frost is clinging to it now making it more visible? Hmmm....

Great call on the fiducial targets James... smile.gif

I usually look at these before & after images of the port covers looking for dust trails, hoping to make an animation, but the wind shields have usually done a good job of keeping the covers fairly clear.

As you say adhesive residues sounds plausible, but why have we had to wait nearly 4 years to see the effect... It does not seem likely that they would have been painted over before launch, I saw the red organic sample boxes and thought maybe some painting followed the test, but I figure that those are not the flight canisters?

Edit: typo corrected 'fiducial'

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Jun 7 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 7 2016, 09:09 AM) *
As you say adhesive residues sounds plausible, but why have we had to wait nearly 4 years to see the effect...

Hmm, very interesting point.
Most commercial adhesives are water sensitive acrylics,
What is the recent history of humidity around the rover?

Seems like you've stumbled across a simple and direct way to measure martian humidity....

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 7 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Jun 7 2016, 07:36 PM) *
What is the recent history of humidity around the rover?

The Spanish REMS web page is not currently reporting humidity, only daily min/max air and ground temperatures and pressure, and those don't appear to be out of the ordinary for the rover. Yes, should apply patches of that adhesive to sections of the 2020 deck, maybe get some interesting and cheap returns wink.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 7 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 152

The pattern was visible on sol 36 - look along the thin bright stripe on the cover in this image:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg
Is humidity necessary for this? We know it's very dry here. Why not simply dust accumulating slowly onto glue residue? Another factor may be the direction of solar illumination - the new 1362 image has a fairly high phase angle.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Jun 7 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 7 2016, 03:14 PM) *
Is humidity necessary for this? We know it's very dry here. Why not simply dust accumulating slowly onto glue residue? Another factor may be the direction of solar illumination - the new 1362 image has a fairly high phase angle.

Hey, not necessarily, a glue is basically a formulation of very slow-drying paint, the effect looked like it was due to something "sticky" but it could be texture or actual darkening.
The difference in appearance could be a result of adhesive residue causing a rougher surface, but could also be glue residue itself darkening, acrylic does react to UV exposure.

+Quote Post

81 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.