Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting to 'Big Crater', A little premature speculation
Phil Stooke
post Sep 22 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #46

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

SFJCody said "One more reason to be interested in going to this place: the rim of Big Crater (certainly the eastern rim, probably also the western rim, although it's hard to tell at this resolution) is not coated in blueberries- there's no hematite signal there!"

I think that is just a data gap in the hematite colour overlay on the background image. There are others, showing as grey windows in the colour. The rim one appears more prominent because the rim itself is so contrasty.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Sep 22 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 22 2006, 01:36 PM) *
I think that is just a data gap in the hematite colour overlay on the background image. There are others, showing as grey windows in the colour. The rim one appears more prominent because the rim itself is so contrasty.

Phil

There are data gaps, yes, but most of them appear as linear streaks that have no relation to the surrounding areas. If you look at the three big craters in a row (the eroded one being at the top) you'll see that each one is surrounded by a 'halo' of green-blue (indicating a weak signal) that conforms to the shape of the rim. The smaller middle crater has quite a big 'halo' for its size, and this may be because it has a noticeable ejecta blanket overlying the terrain. It's the same (but more pronounced) with the really big fresh crater to the south west- the crater and the ejecta blanket shows no signal, and the outskirts are green-blue.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 22 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 523

I'm with Phil on the data gap thought. While the big ejecta around the bottom-left crater is obviously devoid of hematite, the area in the "Big Crater" walls "lacking" hematite seems suspiciously coincident with the parts with greatest illumination/reflectance. It might well be instrument saturation occured there (this could be a ratio image used as color overlay) and no useful data exists for those spots.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 22 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Sep 22 2006, 02:58 PM) *
There are data gaps, yes, but most of them appear as linear streaks that have no relation to the surrounding areas. If you look at the three big craters in a row (the eroded one being at the top) you'll see that each one is surrounded by a 'halo' of green-blue (indicating a weak signal) that conforms to the shape of the rim. The smaller middle crater has quite a big 'halo' for its size, and this may be because it has a noticeable ejecta blanket overlying the terrain. It's the same (but more pronounced) with the really big fresh crater to the south west- the crater and the ejecta blanket shows no signal, and the outskirts are green-blue.

Can we deduce crater's ages and/or water depth with those data? I mean age in comparison of hematite formation and depth by followinh hematire signal around the craters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Sep 22 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 22 2006, 02:18 PM) *
It might well be instrument saturation occured there (this could be a ratio image used as color overlay) and no useful data exists for those spots.

How would instrument saturation account for the low-hematite green-blue 'halos' (particularly for the case of the smaller middle crater with the ejecta blanket) which cover what appears to be low-reflectance terrain?

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 22 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #51

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (odave @ Sep 22 2006, 01:35 PM) *
Darn. Already in use (look under "T") sad.gif

smile.gif Indeed... smile.gif
That lead us to another hypothesis that even pleases me more...
Ithaca Crater!
At a same time the home of Ulysses/Odysseus, and an hommage to all the brains coming out from Cornell University in Ithaca (population: 29287)...
We have to remind that Ulysses returned to Ithaca...Will Opportunity make it?... biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 22 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #52

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Stephen @ Sep 22 2006, 02:29 AM) *
I'm beginning to have doubts about whether the rover will actually be able to get inside Victoria--short of rolling off a clifftop.

You'll be glad to know that I heard a rumor how they are out at the JPL test bed right now practicing "rover rolls". The goal is to see exactly how to approach a ledge and roll off of it so that the rover lands upright after three or four tumbles. I hear it's not going well but it's really fun to watch....... tongue.gif (joking, just joking)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Sep 22 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 429

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 22 2006, 10:39 AM) *
smile.gif Indeed... smile.gif
That lead us to another hypothesis that even pleases me more...
Ithaca Crater!
At a same time the home of Ulysses/Odysseus, and an hommage to all the brains coming out from Cornell University in Ithaca (population: 29287)...
We have to remind that Ulysses never returned to Ithaca...Will Opportunity make it?... biggrin.gif

I second that. Actually, I was going to propose the same name! I'm shocked. You must have read my thoughts. blink.gif
One more reason for Ithaca. There are many interesting geological features around, and also many waterfalls, including Taughannock Falls, which is higher than Niagara falls. That fits well with the goals of the MER mission - study the geology and the role of water.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 22 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #54

Special Cookie

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 22 2006, 03:39 PM) *
Ithaca Crater!

Dream! Dream! Dream!
I'm already answering to myself... sad.gif
But, as in other occasions provided by this two little wanderers, something magical happens from time to time...
We are reaching Victoria and Oppy will be there for a long time, but somehow some of us feel that she won't end up there. I do. And this poem...Oh man this poem...
Text version

EDITED: Pavel, it would be a great place to end this Odyssey wouldn't it?... smile.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Marz
post Sep 22 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 482

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 22 2006, 10:24 AM) *
Dream! Dream! Dream!

Wow, this thread is zuper nuts! We're talking about 8-10km drive? laugh.gif

This may not be totally unreasonable, especially if the science return is low because the arm craps out during the Victoria campaign. Sadly, if this were the case, there would be fewer reasons to stop n' sniff, and perhaps a more aggressive drive campaign. If the terrain is favorable, we might get up to 80m drives again... placing the West Rim in reach before the onset of next winter, depending on how much time is spent at Victoria.

Then again, I had dreamed of Spirit exploring the Chaos terrain... which is gonna be quite a stretch for her to pull that off.

This really makes me wonder what the MSL mission will be like. That could cover some serious ground!

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 22 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #56

Special Cookie

QUOTE (Marz @ Sep 22 2006, 05:08 PM) *
Wow, this thread is zuper nuts! laugh.gif

Personally I've re-read already several times and I got severe cramps on my belly... smile.gif
From Doug's "For the love of god" to climber's UMSF city..."Mad, mad, mad...I'm loving it"
It's truly a strong candidate for the forum Zuper Nuts Award 2006...And who knows 2007, 2008,... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
tim53
post Sep 22 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #57

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

QUOTE (Marz @ Sep 22 2006, 09:08 AM) *
Wow, this thread is zuper nuts! We're talking about 8-10km drive? laugh.gif

Um... ...12 kilometers, PAST Victoria, so from the southeast side of Victoria. And that's to the degraded rim (rimless). The north rim peaks are 22 kilometers away, and stick up about 80-100 meters above the local plains. The southeast rim peaks are 35 kilmeters away, and taller (though I don't have my topomap open at the moment).

This may not be totally unreasonable, especially if the science return is low because the arm craps out during the Victoria campaign. Sadly, if this were the case, there would be fewer reasons to stop n' sniff, and perhaps a more aggressive drive campaign. If the terrain is favorable, we might get up to 80m drives again... placing the West Rim in reach before the onset of next winter, depending on how much time is spent at Victoria.

If the shoulder joint fails while the arm is deployed, it will be impossible to completely stow the arm, so it will be in the field of view of the navcams and bouncing around a bit while driving, so the distances we'll be able to cover will be MUCH less than with the arm stowed.

Then again, I had dreamed of Spirit exploring the Chaos terrain... which is gonna be quite a stretch for her to pull that off.

There is a difference between planning on GETTING all that way versus driving in that direction to cover new ground. I don't think many of us expected we'd make it all the way to Victoria with Oppy, and yet here we are. Spirit may not be able to move far in a sol, but it may be able to move. And who knows how far it may go before something else breaks? Worth a try.

-Tim.

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Sep 22 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 429

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 22 2006, 11:24 AM) *
EDITED: Pavel, it would be a great place to end this Odyssey wouldn't it?... smile.gif

End? Never!
By the time we are there, we'll have another big crater in sight, perhaps the "big splat" further south.
An the software will be updated again allowing Oppy to chase dust devils on its own for the purpose of cleaning biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 22 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #59

Special Cookie

QUOTE (tim53 @ Sep 22 2006, 06:15 PM) *
Um... ...12 kilometers, PAST Victoria, so from the southeast side of Victoria. And that's to the degraded rim (rimless). The north rim peaks are 22 kilometers away, and stick up about 80-100 meters above the local plains. The southeast rim peaks are 35 kilmeters away, and taller (though I don't have my topomap open at the moment).

One thing at a time... smile.gif
12kms?...Do you guys have anything planned for 2009' Autumn?... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
tim53
post Sep 22 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #60

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 22 2006, 10:52 AM) *
One thing at a time... smile.gif
12kms?...Do you guys have anything planned for 2009' Autumn?... rolleyes.gif

Yeah! Launching MSL! biggrin.gif

-Tim.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.