Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MOM At Mars, Mission Operations
nprev
post Sep 24 2014, 02:33 AM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Successful insertion!!!!! Congratulations to ISRO!!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Astro0
post Sep 24 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 615

That's two for two this week!! And now seven spacecraft operating at Mars!!

CanberraDSN (along with Goldstone) acquired the signal confirming that ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission successfully made orbit smile.gif

Attached Image

Accomplishment Unlocked! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 25 2014, 06:01 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Apparently only available as a Facebook link right now, but this is the first image (and it's nice.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 25 2014, 06:06 AM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

By my guessing it's approx 1100 x 850km, the southern end of Syrtis Major - about 72E, 2S in the center.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 25 2014, 06:11 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

And you call that "guessing"... blink.gif wink.gif Great context!

Seems to have a bit of motion blur is all, but that may be a subjective impression on my part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 25 2014, 06:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 615

Just posting the first image here.

Attached Image

From ISRO's twitter: 1st image of Mars, from a height of 7300 km; with 376m spatial resolution.

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 25 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 759

A great first photo ... and in colour! The spacecraft and instruments are still in commissioning phase, so hopefully image resolution will improve later.

Initial orbit is 421.7 km by 76,994 km, at an inclination to Mars’ equatorial plane of 150 degrees. Orbital period is 72 hours 52 minutes. The periapsis was
predicted to be 515km after the last course correction, so it came in a little low.

The BBC and CNN have been reporting along the following lines:

“ (CNN) -- India's Mars Orbiter Mission successfully entered Mars' orbit Wednesday morning, becoming the first nation to arrive on its first attempt and the
first Asian country to reach the Red Planet. “

In fact, Mars Express made ESA the first nation/ region to succeed at its first attempt. Both Japan (Nozomi) and China (Yinghuo 1) have attempted
Mars probes which failed. So this is a major first for India, in Asia’s “mini space race”.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 25 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

MOD MODE: Reminder to all members that rule 1.2 will be enforced, and posts that violate that rule will be deleted without warning.

Mod hat off. Let's please celebrate achievements here on their own merits instead of making essentially futile comparisons of the "first", "better", etc. variety, which never seem to accomplish anything but raising tensions.

MOM is a remarkable achievement thus far, and it seems as if we'll have a considerable amount of not only new imagery but also new science data to talk about in short order. Good stuff. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 25 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

A second photo. This one is actually at the camera's full resolution of 2048 pixels square! Can anybody identify the location?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Julius
post Sep 25 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 741

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 25 2014, 03:53 PM) *
A second photo. This one is actually at the camera's full resolution of 2048 pixels square! Can anybody identify the location?

It's the southern hemisphere for sure but I wouldn't dare say exactly where

+Quote Post
machi
post Sep 25 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4057

It shows boundary between Terra Sabaea and Arabia Terra (it's mostly Terra Sabaea). The biggest visible crater is Tikhonravov.
EDIT: I uploaded improved graphics, older version was deleted.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 25 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #12

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Good for you! You're right. I was looking but hadn't found it yet. And it's in the northern hemisphere (sorry Julius!)

Appropriately, the small feature Indus Vallis is in this area, as the map shows.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 25 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #13

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Playing with the ISRO image (Thanks, ISRO!) to bring out the surface features a bit better:

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
4throck
post Sep 25 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6792

Phil, that last image looks like something from Mariner 4!

Nice to see the images being released fast.
Also good color balance / correction for first images.

I think the camera is a bit out of focus, but that's expected for such an early mission phase.

--------------------
www.astrosurf.com/nunes

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Sep 25 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6108

QUOTE (4throck @ Sep 25 2014, 12:30 PM) *
I think the camera is a bit out of focus, but that's expected for such an early mission phase.

I worked with the hi-def image a bit. The saturation is probably higher than true color. The color histogram clearly shows the peaks of primary red, green, and blue contributions; playing with these channels brought out different limb features, although there I could not be certain I was seeing true layers or the contribution of the very heavy compression blocks. My impression is that this image is probably a better representation of the mission's atmospheric research goals than of the general photographic capability of the camera--playing with levels pretty much kills the limb structure. Data with more gray scale and less compression will tell a better story of the geologic capabilities of the camera.

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.