Pando
post Jul 13 2007, 05:05 AM
Post #121

The Insider

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 11 2007, 11:34 AM) *
THREE sheds.

How many Mars environment simulators do you need, really?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Jul 14 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 1503

I am absolutely amazed! This is the kind of weather that I thought would kill the rovers. Instead, they are going to live a lot longer! I really believe that the major limiting factors for these machines are the wheels. Nobody thought that these machines would last any where near this long, so they didn't design the wheels to last for years.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jul 18 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 11 2007, 06:10 PM) *
Okay wink.gif
.../...
We can se quickly that solar panels are more clean than the others sols ago.

Dear Ant,
wheel.gif Superb processings ! wheel.gif
Here is the same kind of cleaning event for the VL1 deck after the sol 1742 dust storm.
Here are 3 images taken on sols 1321 - 1742 -1987 : a "before - after" sequence.
Enjoy ! biggrin.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jul 18 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #124

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 12 2007, 06:29 PM) *
Dramatic changes on the ground, too. Compare these pairs of navcams from sols 1239 and 1250:

Dear Fredk
wheel.gif How interesting are your comparisons ! wheel.gif
Here is the same kind of dust removal event spread over a 6-year period for VL1 (1976-1982) : see all the dark soil patches on the drifts and the new ripples around some rocks after the sol 1742 dust storm event...
biggrin.gif Enjoy !
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 19 2007, 04:59 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 152

Glad you liked my comparisons, Viking. Here's one more.

Sol 1255 and 1257. It seems the strong winds are continuing. You can see that much of the dust on the hazcams has been cleared away. But if you look closely at this animation, you can see movement on the ground:
Attached Image

If you look at the area I circled in black in the image below, you can see light splotches that move collectively towards the lower right, which corresponds to roughly towards the south.
Attached Image

What's really remarkable is if you look in the area I circled in white, you can actually see tiny ripples moving again towards the lower right. I'm quite sure this isn't just due to different lighting, since these images were taken within 30 seconds local time of each other, and tau was only slightly higher on 1257.

To my recollection this is the first observation of moving ripples. Even while the rovers face potentially their greatest threat, they can surprize us with amazing results. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 19 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #126

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Good eye Fred. Additionally you can actually see several light colored pebbles being exhumed in that large lower dark colored ripple.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 19 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #127

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

also, in the Viking picture you can see a rock face starting to emerge from the dune below the large rocks on the left.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jul 19 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #128

QUOTE (hendric @ Jul 19 2007, 07:11 PM) *
also, in the Viking picture you can see a rock face starting to emerge from the dune below the large rocks on the left.

wink.gif wink.gif Sorry, but this is just an illusion. Not a rock emerging, but rather a slump in the drift material immediately in front of and to the right of center of the big boulder (named "Big Joe"). As you saw it indeed, this slump was not present when Viking 1 landed and is a good proof that modification of the surface is currently active. It may have been caused by a "Marsquake", lander vibrations while working on the surface, loose soil... wink.gif

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 20 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 116

Congratulations to you guys watching for these changes. Slinted, fredk, and vikingmars, thanks for the revealing images and animations. They have added a new dimension to my Mars experience. smile.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 24 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 116

I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but what's up with the pancams that appeared at the exploratorium today? My update via MMB tonight has exceeded 50 MB, and it appears I am only half through it. I am getting a large number of very old images. Is Spirit cleaning low priority images from its flash memory? I could swear that I read somewhere that the 7/23 comm session returned a small amount of data from the rovers.

It finally ended after generating a large number of anaglyphs and false color images. It appears that over 80 MBs of jpegs were downloaded.

"Update complete Mon Jul 23 23:36:02 CDT 2007
558 images downloaded 4 errors."
unsure.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 24 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #131

Member No.: 110

Thats odd, when I checked using MMB I got no new images found. The images from 7/23 must be old images reposted.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Jul 24 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 99

For some reason MMB's "Check for new images" doesn't detect the 2007-07-23 folder. Forcing the update with "Advanced update" worked though.

But a lot of these "new version" images are worse than the original ones! Lots of data dropouts where the old ones were complete! Totally wrecked a lot perfect generated images. mad.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 24 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (OWW @ Jul 24 2007, 07:32 AM) *
a lot of these "new version" images are worse than the original ones! Lots of data dropouts where the old ones were complete! Totally wrecked a lot perfect generated images. mad.gif

Doing the advanced update from JPL using the sols of the messed up images may fix those.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Jul 26 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 99

Check out the changes in the latest Spirit Hazcam image. The wind must be blowing Very hard:

Sol 1260
Sol 1265

+Quote Post
abalone
post Jul 26 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 409

QUOTE (OWW @ Jul 26 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Check out the changes in the latest Spirit Hazcam image. The wind must be blowing Very hard:

Sol 1260
Sol 1265

Looks like the dune crest near the left front wheel had moved about 1-2 cm in 5 sols

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.