Post #46

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Here's a composite to illustrate that.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 19 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #47

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jul 19 2011, 05:22 AM) *
The last few images were enlarged by an integer factor. Did you find something wrong with how they were enlarged?

The most recent one wasn't -- its enlargement factor was something around 2.2. And the resolutions stated (and widely requoted) in all the released captions are just wrong.

With spherical bodies it is very easy to back out an accurate image resolution from a global image -- measure any diameter and you're done. But for bodies with very different principal axis lengths, especially irregular ones like Vesta, it's hard to do this accurately, which prevents me from doing size comparisons. Size comparison posts are some of the most popular things that I do, which is why this is driving me so crazy.

As of yesterday I think the press person at JPL now understands what I am complaining about, so hopefully we'll see captions fixed soon. Of course what I really want is for them to quit enlarging the released images.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Jul 19 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4473

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 19 2011, 08:11 AM) *
Nice one, Mike.

The orange spot in the false color view coincides with the darker spot seen in distant views, including the 'crater with tails' as someone described it, on the edge of the smooth patch we saw a while ago.

Phil

The orange area is around the sub-solar point, so I think it just represents daytime heating. Over time, a strong lead or lag behind nearby features with different times-of-day (Vesta Sols!) would be very interesting.

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Jul 19 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 1364

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 19 2011, 06:51 PM) *
The most recent one wasn't -- its enlargement factor was something around 2.2. And the resolutions stated (and widely requoted) in all the released captions are just wrong.

This image was enlarged by a factor 2 (I know because I enlarged it). The resolution of the image as shown here is actually close to the quoted value. But what do you think of the caption here? The media will take that image and do with it whatever they like, and then quote the original numbers.

Yes, I understand your concern about the caption, and no, I didn't write it.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 19 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

You did the enlargement? It's great to actually talk to someone who knows what's going on smile.gif So tell me where I'm wrong here. The diameter of Vesta in that released image is 860 pixels. At 700 m/pixel (1.4 / 2x enlargement) that gives you 600 km diameter, which I *think* is much too large.

If the pixel scale were rounded incorrectly and the original image scale were 1.3 km/pixel then it would correspond to 560 km diameter, which is within the accepted range of Vestian diameters...

You're right that reporting pixel scales will inevitably result in mainstream media screwing things up. For that reason I'd actually advocate abandoning pixel scales -- ONLY IF the images get released at their original resolution, or if they are enlarged by whole-number factors that are stated in released captions. Those of us who care about these things will get the numbers right.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 19 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #51

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Here's a mashup of the image on the DLR website with high-resolution image PIA14313. I took the enhanced-color IR composite and broke it up into little chunks, then took each chunk and warped it to try to align with surface features in the high res image. Reassembled the color composite, then used that to blend to the high-res layer underneath. Full details on flickr (here)

Neat how the scarp and some of the craters and ejecta are greenish in the IR composite.

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 20 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 150

An update on Dawn trajectory:
in spite of engine running in last 20 hours, the probe is gently accelerating, progressively approaching a "circular orbit speed", as showed below:
Attached Image

The green triangles indicates definitive survey orbit; they are two because I'm not sure if 2700km nominal height is referred to the center or the surface of Vesta... can someone help me? unsure.gif
As additional info, now average acceleration toward Vesta is 3e-5 m/s2 while angle between trajectory and Vesta-to-Dawn vector is approaching 70°.

Addendum: I do not share Emily's bad feeling about image release policy... look to the bright side, last released image was captured only 3 days before and also contrast/gamma is a lot better than previous ones! smile.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 20 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 590

Another interesting stat might be energy/kilogram. Although kinetic energy is increasing, potential energy is decreasing.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Jul 20 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 1364

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 19 2011, 11:18 PM) *
You did the enlargement? It's great to actually talk to someone who knows what's going on smile.gif So tell me where I'm wrong here. The diameter of Vesta in that released image is 860 pixels. At 700 m/pixel (1.4 / 2x enlargement) that gives you 600 km diameter, which I *think* is much too large.

The distance for that image was (or should have been) 15222 km (center of Vesta). You already know the angular extent of one pixel. You tell me where you are wrong... rolleyes.gif

We are working to improve the caption.

Again, I ask you if you think the enlargement of the last image was done badly. Reading your blog, I am not sure. I used the Mitchell-Netravali algorithm, which I think is appropriate. Remember, it is a tradeoff between blurriness and jagged edge.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 20 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #55

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jul 20 2011, 07:20 AM) *
Again, I ask you if you think the enlargement of the last image was done badly.

Why is it being done at all? If (as we have been told) there is a constraint on the teams time in producing images for outreach...why waste some of that precious time in un-necessarily enlarging these images?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 20 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 523

To be fair, that practice of magnifying otherwise poststamp-sized images is pretty much the norm for NASA image advisories, although they do tend to specify the magnification factor in most cases.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 20 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 4057

Enlarging images is standard procedure. NASA use that, almost every amateur processor use that. When one is working with mosaic from multiple images, then resizing is even necessary. When one have post-stamp size image, enlarged variant looks somewhat better, than original one.
"waste some of that precious time"
It's not, in IrfanView (my favorite software for resampling images) it's matter of seconds. smile.gif
"I used the Mitchell-Netravali algorithm, which I think is appropriate."
Mitchell is fine, it's my favorite one, but I think, that it isn't what Emily is complaining about.
She simply need information about actual size of pixels, that's all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 20 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 4057

South pole of Vesta in stereo. Cross eye and anaglyph version. Resolution is approx. 1 km/pix.
Stereo images were made from one published hi-res image and synthetic image (made from both published hi-res images).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 20 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 114

machi Thank you for the 3D!

My kids appreciate it also!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 20 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #60

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fantastic! Thanks.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.