2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Trident, a NASA low cost mission to Triton
antipode
post Jun 20 2020, 03:01 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1206

Interesting, thanks Phil. Would be nice to have a dynamically 'hot' target, but beggars cant be choosers.

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 29 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 594

Here is a simulated view of Neptune from the surface of Triton. I produced it in 2020 for an article upon the Trident project in the journal of my astronomy club:

We will compare to reality in a few decades ! laugh.gif

(The apparent size of Neptune is well respected in the simulated view from my "smartphone": it would represent a disk whose apparent diameter is about 8 arc degrees or 15 times the apparent diameter of the Moon as seen from the Earth).

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Dec 30 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 321

That's a powerful image! Triton would be getting a lot of missions if it weren't for the travel time, and an image like that can do a lot to bring Triton forward in people's minds.

I'm not sure what color the skies are on Triton, but Neptune would contribute powerfully.

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 30 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #19

Thanks,
A way for me to explore in advance that mystical world that may turn out to be more exotic than expected in fact.
I often try to imagine the type of horizon we would get from the surface of Pluto or Triton since the atmosphere of Triton is so thin ( slightly denser than Pluto's atmosphere at "sea level").
I imagined a dull sky and a darker sky toward the zenith. Intuitive logic I would say!
For the appearance of the soil, it is quite speculative I would say because we only have one image of the surface of a planetary body of the outer solar system.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Dec 31 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4081

Fascinating image Webscientist! The foreground is what I imagined the 'cantaloupe' Triton surface might appear close up. Agree with JRehling such images and others https://www.google.com/search?q=neptune+fro...50&biw=1536 would inspire more interest in outer solar system exploration.

+Quote Post
Webscientist
post Dec 31 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (titanicrivers @ Dec 31 2020, 07:44 PM) *
The foreground is what I imagined the 'cantaloupe' Triton surface might appear close up.

Thanks again,
For the cantaloupe, I used some "ingredients" not related to the cantaloupe terrain Voyager 2 had observed, without the purpose of producing those cantaloupe structures but the outcome reveals small scale-cantaloupes. Satisfied!
It also reminds me of the distorted surface the Phoenix lander had observed on Mars.
Let's hope we'll get higher resolution images of those cantaloupe terrains in the near future!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th January 2021 - 02:25 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.