49 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons Pluto System Final Approach, 28 Jun-13 Jul 15
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jul 12 2015, 01:17 AM
Post #601

Guests

QUOTE (dtolman @ Jul 12 2015, 01:00 AM) *
Are these the best shots we'll get of this hemisphere (dark spots), or will the shots taken as it departs the Pluto encounter be better?

I hope not..please tell me we are doing this in hi rez and not the whale part...if so nasa needs to start planning an orbiter lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 12 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #602

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Sorry, but the press release text is pretty clear on this. They might get a bit with Charon-shine (as well as the winter hemisphere) but otherwise this is the best we can hope for considering the slow rotation.
If there is ever a Haumea flyby, on the other hand...

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jul 12 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #603

Guests

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 12 2015, 01:22 AM) *
Sorry, but the press release text is pretty clear on this. They might get a bit with Charon-shine (as well as the winter hemisphere) but otherwise this is the best we can hope for considering the slow rotation.

.ukooh

Well im sure this is some crazy terrain like that on the side we are imaging

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 12 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #604

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (dtolman @ Jul 12 2015, 03:00 AM) *
Are these the best shots we'll get of this hemisphere (dark spots), or will the shots taken as it departs the Pluto encounter be better?

Probably yes. There will be observations of dark side of Pluto but it will cover only small fraction of this hemisphere and
those observations will be with much lower SNR so they will be dark and noisy.
Nevertheless I'm pretty sure that it will be very interesting (New Horizons cameras are very sensitive).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 12 2015, 01:37 AM
Post #605

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (machi @ Jul 12 2015, 12:59 AM) *
New image of Charon from 11.7.2015 (4:10:35 UTC). It's only one image so I applied few denoising functions to (at least partially) remove compression artifacts. Result is 3× enlarged.

Shows hints of what are probably bright craters. There is also an interesting 'irregularity' at the terminator near the 2 o'clock position that looks like a ridge but the resolution is still too low to tell exactly what's happening.

+Quote Post
Arnold Evans
post Jul 12 2015, 02:24 AM
Post #606

Member No.: 7527

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 11 2015, 07:22 PM) *

I wouldn't be too disappointed in Charon-shine. If you look at the NH images of the dark side of Io, you see a surprising amount of detail.
Granted, Jupiter-shine is a lot better than Charon-shine, but clearly the cameras on NH are set up for this kind of thing.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 12 2015, 02:44 AM
Post #607

Member No.: 3995

I'll be happy to see whatever Charon-shine reveals of the southern latitudes, since that terrain will not be exposed to sunlight again in our lifetimes, regardless to any future missions.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 12 2015, 03:32 AM
Post #608

Member No.: 5221

The latest pic (Charon only) seems to show some sort of feature on the top right off the disc. Is that actual topography, or still just an overactive imagination?

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounte...sure=100%20msec

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 12 2015, 03:34 AM
Post #609

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I think that's the same feature Bjorn was talking about. Looks like it's real to me.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 12 2015, 03:53 AM
Post #610

Member No.: 1241

July 11, 2015, Pluto
3x, lightly processed
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 12 2015, 04:04 AM
Post #611

I think the feature on Charon's limb is topographic. It doesn't appear to be due to high-albedo blooming, and it appears to be an extension of a linear feature.

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jul 12 2015, 04:13 AM
Post #612

Member No.: 741

I believe that we will get to see part of the whale at closest approach which will hopefully help us determine the true nature of the darkest terrain.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 12 2015, 04:17 AM
Post #613

QUOTE (Julius @ Jul 11 2015, 11:13 PM) *
I believe that we will get to see part of the whale at closest approach which will hopefully help us determine the true nature of the darkest terrain.

We'll get a good look at the 'triple point' between the whale, the heart, and the mottled/northern terrain.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 12 2015, 04:40 AM
Post #614

Member No.: 321

To an extent that surprises me, Pluto looks like Titan without that "annoying" atmosphere getting in the way of our view.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 12 2015, 04:45 AM
Post #615

Member No.: 152

Now we can see Pluto get larger in just 30 seconds! Here's an animation of the two new frames, 4x oversampled:
Attached Image

Again, no sign of any real changes.

I see no sign of the "cantaloupe" or "mottled" terrain in the bright polar region on the two jpegs. Of course they're jpegs, not raw. But could it be the small-scale mottling is due to processing, eg oversharpening the noise?

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.