32 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
scooterlord
post Feb 6 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 1097

Hey everyone, working countless hours the past few days to finish the topside of the mars rover. Here is a sneak peek of what's coming.. a few glitches on the colored parts of the sundial there, (fixed for next renders) but other than that.. I think I'm happy.

I want to ask again, I am looking for a few reference images of the jpl that held the rover in, I want to make the room just for lighting purposes, if someone can help please contact me.

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 7 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Feb 6 2012, 06:28 PM) *
I think I'm happy.

You're not the only one! Correct me if I'm wrong, I see also solar cells bump mapping; blink.gif incredible...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
pospa
post Feb 7 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 5979

Fantastic, ... as always. rolleyes.gif
Regarding sundial - is it just optical illusion or my bad eyes when I see black sphere on the top to be a bit deformed, not perfectly sphereric?

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 7 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #304

Thanks for your comments, once more..

...regarding the sundial, it's a perfect sphere, it's the angle that shows it a bit deformed. Now that I see the render it looks like the black material it's made of needs to be smoother, I'll have it fixed as soon as I get home.

..as for the solar panels, it's not bump actually, it's what usually appears in most programs as 'specular' map. I also have them coated with a thin layer to fake opalescense, however it need a bit tweaking.

To be honest, the lighting in this last render doesn't do it good justice, but, wait till you see it complete. Oh, boy, you're gonna love it! Slight details left on the top surface to be done.. in a couple of days I'll be done with the top surface.. then it's the body, the cables, the hazcams.. and I am DONE!

I STILL need a couple of photos of the room the mer was built! Anyone? I suppose it's not classified since there are all these photos on the web. I just need schematics of the ROOM (or photos, whatever, I'll make it out). I just need to know the volume, where it has doors/windows and how the lights are placed in the room.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Feb 7 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #305

Member No.: 1241

Hi scooter...
the colored paint chips on the corners of the sundial are not in the right corners...
here is Spirit on Sol 6 (very clean!)
Attached Image

Your model is just beautiful!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 7 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #306

hello there...

I took the colors from here:
http://www.goroadachi.com/etemenanki/mars-hiddencolors.htm

and here is explained that the colors changing according to which planet the rover is on..:
http://www.goroadachi.com/etemenanki/mars-hiddencolors.htm

Nevertheless, if it's way wrong, it's easily fixed. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 7 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #307

Member No.: 523

The color differences in other images (a pink "blue" chip for example) are due to use of a NIR filter instead of red. The above image posted by PDP8E should be your color reference. Here's a ground RGB image taken by pancam:

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Feb 7 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #308

Hi scooter,
Here is an image from the creators of the sundial. The picture is most likely flight hardware or a backup.
More info can be found on the Cornell site.
The PANCAM has many filters, some make for interesting false color images of the color targets.
As an example the blue target is highly reflective at IR (making it look red or pink with certain filter combinations)
Attached Image

As you can see, this image correlates well with MER images using the RGB filters!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 7 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #309

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Feb 7 2012, 10:59 AM) *
I took the colors from here....

That website is nothing but conspiratorial nonsense. You should ignore it entirely

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 7 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #310

ok, will do so, I have already fixed the colors. I just finished the lga, moving on to the cable holder that stands beside the hga..should be completely done with the top surface of the mars rover in a few hours...

In the meantime and since a lot of you are viewing, I would need some help in case someone knows about the material. If not.. more pairs of eyes are better than just mine smile.gif

In the above picture I have named the materials of the body 1 & 2. The first and second reference photos are from the mars rover documentary and it's the best I have to make the texture. The third is from the jpl website. Its obvious that the lighting is different that's why they look so different, however, I cant figure out whats going on in the first picture. Seems like there's some kind of wire in the tape on material (1)? How come it reflects a lot more than the material marked as (2) that seems to be the more reflective of the two in the 3rd reference photo? Any ideas what materials are those?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Feb 8 2012, 05:08 AM
Post #311

Hi Nick,
First, your model is beautiful!

You presented 3 pictures

Picture 1:
the shining left '1' looks like an exposed edge of underlying honeycomb material (decrease weight /maintain strength).
the dull right '1' looks like an epoxy based over-tape to seal the honeycomb edge
the dull lower '2' looks like a variation of the epoxy based over-tape

Picture 2:
looks like the same epoxy based over-tape as seen in picture 1(1-right)

Picture 3:
the dull '1' looks like the base metal of the craft ... (anodized aluminum ?)
the shiny '2' looks like kapton tape, reflecting the (distorted) image of a person in a bunny suit

Is there a MER engineer out there that can shed light on Nick's question?

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 9 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #312

PDP8E... number 1 & 2 material is THE SAME in all 3 pictures, meaning in picture 3 the dull 1, is the same as the 1 material in the first two pics...

The first two pics show the same thing at a different angle, so I can only assume that the 'shining' 1 material is only shiny when is hit directly with light (aka it's bump shows)

As for the number 2 material, it's clearly shown in the first picture that it's kapton tape, but it's strange. Did they cover the WHOLE rover body in kapton tape? I think I read somewhere its a great dust sealant, but I think NASA would find another way instead of sealing it this way. I could be wrong though! Most brilliant things come from the simplest ones..

I would appreciate if someone that took part in the creation of the rover told me what kind of materials those two are, and of course reference photos would help a lot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 9 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #313

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Feb 9 2012, 10:28 AM) *
Did they cover the WHOLE rover body in kapton tape?

They LOVE kapton tape. I'm sure some of those guys tie their shoes and hold up their pants with it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 10 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #314

LOLOLOL! I liked that... smile.gif

..back to the project now, I attach an UNCOMPRESSED png render that took 15mins, I am too tired to let it any more, it's 5:30am here, I've been working since this morning almost straight...

..what you should notice (thats why I mentioned uncompressed, for the ones that will d/l and zoom - or zoom with their browsers) that the copper-like tape has the small grid slightly showing, but when direct light hits it, it glows like the above pictures I posted. As for the rest kapton-taped body, I put some kind of foil underneath and above it the usual "kapton texture" I use - you can even see that it's stripped. I am happy with the results. For the final model I will add POLYGON imperfections (like bent tape that go out of the body, etc)

here we go:

Comments/suggestions welcome, although I think you'll like it as well.

ps, I kinda got in touch with a company that makes 3d and started a test project - architectural stuff, I hope my portfolio helped, and HOPEFULLY it will lead to a mutual agreement. It's not the job I was dreaming for and will not leave my current job either, but until something better comes up, it's welcome smile.gif Thought I'd share, since some of you might care for my concerns.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 13 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #315

Hey there...

I've been busy lately with a freelance job I got, today -hopefully- I am done, but I've been working a bit on the rover as well... here is the final texture I ended up with and I'm sticking with it.

...what do you guys think?

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.