mer photos
pospa
post Feb 13 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #316

Group: Members
Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Feb 13 2012, 07:45 AM) *
...what do you guys think?

Surfaces in the center of walls are OK, but "frames" around should be closer to gold color, just with less reflection - more mat.
... only personal feeling ... its too violet / pink ... IMHO should be more goldish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 13 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #317

Member No.: 1097

well, I am using my close-up photos and they seem like it this way. the material found online in the jpl library has washed out colors..

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 13 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #318

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Having seen similar hardware in person - I concur with pospa - the non wrinkled surface shouldn't be pink. It should be a muted, 'matt' gold color.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 18 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #319

Well... good news everyone! biggrin.gif

looks like I am almost done.. will probably be FULLY done by tomorrow. smile.gif Of course, it will take a while until I deliver my first FINAL render. Besides having to do a few optimizations on the textures, etc, I want the first batch of renders to be INDOORS. I have good reference of the room the new curiosity rover was photographed, so I will start doing that; not a lot of details, just a few, I mainly need the lighting and reflections of an indoors place, which also leads to HUGE render times. I realized this last week that I had to mess with that indoor project (which was an utter failure btw)... a 1200x800 render took more than 10 hours to clear up on my pc. Oh, well...

As pospa and djelisson suggested, I turned the body of the color to gold, made a LOT of changes, additions, etc, and am almost good to go! The main thing that needs taken care of, is the cables of the body, along with slight details on the whole thing, I need to take a good look to see what's missing, etc. I've been working 6 hours straight since I woke up this... ahem.. evening, will take a break and probably go on until I leave only a few things for tomorrow. And tomorrow I will also probably start to model the room. Considering I want it to be made rough I HOPE I am completely done by the end of next week!

PHEWWWWWW... hope all goes well, I got separated with my gf because of this project - to which I will dedicate this, and hopefully we'll get back together. I urged myself into the project the past 10 days in order to avoid my personal life..

Anyway, enough with that as well, here is a wip-render, ground is wrong - put an image of a few square km of real life ground :/ , colors are wrong (and it's been photoshopped as well), taking good renders in outer mars will be tough, but for now on it's just to give you an idea of what's coming...

Comments welcome as always..

ps looks like I am missing a small metal thingy at the top left corner next to the small antenna there, will be added later on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leither
post Feb 18 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #320

Member No.: 1002

Looking really really good Nick!

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Feb 18 2012, 07:19 PM) *
ps looks like I am missing a small metal thingy at the top left corner next to the small antenna there, will be added later on.

....also seems to be missing a big metal thingy near the front - the Pancam Mast Assembly????

Looking forward to the final render....

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 18 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #321

GOOD EYESIGHT! lolololol

...in the pictures the rover takes itself, the mast is not shown, it's like a hundred pictures taken all around stitched together.. but no mast tongue.gif LET ALONE THIS IS A TEST RENDER tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 19 2012, 02:57 AM
Post #322

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Hi Scooterlord
Awesome render on the model.

As a handy reference, here's a comparison between your deck-render (left) and a clean-deck view (of Spirit in this case).
In the version on the right, the HGA, LGA and PMA are all or mostly removed.
Before anyone mentions it, of course we are not worried about colours either at this stage.
Lighting and textures will fix that.

Remember that there are tiny differences between the two vehicles, and you match up pretty well on your version.
Attached Image

I did notice a few very small missing items of the deck, so I hope that you can compare and match them up to your impressive standards.

Can't wait to see the final results smile.gif

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 19 2012, 03:07 AM
Post #323

What a cool thing to do!

...however the rover you are shoinw is the opportunity and not the spirit I am modeling (unless I got the names wrong off the internet). There are a MILLION differences just between them. I have a top deck version of the spirit and it matches pretty nice I might say smile.gif However, this render was like.. put a camera randomly on top of the rover and hit render. Didn't mess up with details like focal length, distance from the deck, etc.. it just HAPPENED to look accurate...

So, you can't compare between these two photos, but you can compare my render to this:

http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...2_L456_crop.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 19 2012, 03:54 AM
Post #324

I stand corrected, that is Opportunity. d'oh! ....just wanted to see if everyone was paying attention wink.gif laugh.gif

OK, here's a side-by-side of all three. There are a number of things, common to both rovers that are not represented on your model.
I'm not picking them out or being picky either. Your model is fantastic!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 19 2012, 04:14 AM
Post #325

...please do tell the differences you can see!

edit: ...besides cables that are on a different layer tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 19 2012, 05:08 AM
Post #326

I've circled a few things that are either missing or are extras in my quick to the eye comparison.
Some may be illusions on my part of course laugh.gif Some may be apparent on actual photos and not in the rover's deckpan.
Some items may be caused by lighting on your render which has made features appear/disappear.
You said that cables were on a different layer, but there did seem to be one specific cable missing compared to the others that do appear to be all there (large circle top right).
Attached Image

It's all such minor stuff that in most cases it's not worth worrying about. smile.gif

I did note that the NASA logo looked a little distorted but that is probably the render angle.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 19 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #327

Member No.: 150

I found a double couple of minor differences from Spirit image (light-blue circles):
Attached Image

Not missed pieces, simply small size/shape differences...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 19 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #328

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Don't know about anyone else, but every time I see one of those overhead views I look at all those hinges along the 'wings' and shudder to think what might have happened if one of them hadn't worked...

Great model scooterlord, and I'm sure you're finding everyone's input very useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 20 2012, 02:29 AM
Post #329

...I fixed all of the above. In the process of multiple selecting, deleting, merging, etc, a few cables were abandoned for like a couple of months, eg the cable on the top right, I was sure I modeled it (I found its curves) but had deleted it a few months back! LOL...

....anyway... big news today...

I AM FINALLY DONE! FINALLY! I mean COMPLETE DONE. I did everything. Every little detail. Now, since I had problems with my textures, a few might be missing, so the first batch of renders might have a few artifacts.. I also realized that my problem with the textures can be quickly fixed with a script, I already posted in another forum about that, if someone helps me there, I will have the materials fixed in no-time! (my brain is fully overloaded atm, can't spend time learning how to script).

I just started my first render in the background, but just so you know what to expect.. I am posting this... I know there are a few artifacts here as well, they are already fixed. Plus, I already started a rough model of the room it will be rendered in. Well, here goes, its grainy, but.. OMG, I even exceeded my own expectations! I am SO excited smile.gif

Expecting just positive feedback from now on smile.gif Render in the background is 3840x2160, it's 4:30am here, I'll probably post tomorrow after work.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 20 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #330

Wow, that's really quite beautiful.
Can't wait to see it with the IDD and Hazcams in place smile.gif

Congratulations!!

EDIT: Like the following posts mention, I initially thought it was a reference photo as well. Cool.
Deserving of six wheels! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.