7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Faint Ring Thread, Saturn's D, E and G rings
ugordan
post Feb 2 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Again, a shot of the clump/moonlet in the G ring, slightly motion-smeared: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...7/N00128611.jpg
Not as obvious as some other shots, but it's still there and, apparently, persistent.

No official word on this yet?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 3 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #77

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Tiny Moonlet Within G Ring Arc
http://ciclops.org/view/5493/Tiny_Moonlet_Within_G_Ring_Arc

The discovery of the G ring arc moonlet has been officially announced via a press release and an IAU Circular.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 3 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 530

...and I just read about it on Emily's blog.

How close are the G-arc flybys mentioned just recently here?
http://planetary.org/blog/article/00001857/

Has the first already happened? Doesn't sound like it will look like much even relatively close.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 3 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #79

The one in January 2010 is in the 10000-20000 km range (Celestia gives me ~14000 km). At that distance, S/ 2008 S 1 should be about 6 pixels across. The other would be in February 2017 at 20000-30000 km.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 3 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #80

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Huh, I didn't realize you could get that close to the G ring. Are there plans actually to attempt to image S/2008 S1?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 4 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #81

We are nicely out of the ring plane at the time, so it should be fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 4 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #82

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Just restating congrats to Gordan for spotting this moonlet in what are probably the discovery images...what an eye!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 4 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #83

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 4 2009, 12:14 AM) *
Just restating congrats to Gordan for spotting this moonlet in what are probably the discovery images...what an eye!!! smile.gif

Maybe I've missed something but are you saying that it was Gordan who spotted it first?... smile.gif

made a gif out of the announcement images:
http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/e6c3d462...3422/output.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 4 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 4 2009, 12:55 PM) *
Maybe I've missed something but are you saying that it was Gordan who spotted it first?... smile.gif

I think Nick is referring to this post. The raw image links apparently don't work anymore since the page redesign, but it's the same images as in the release.

--------------------

+Quote Post
canis_minor
post Jan 23 2010, 05:59 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 587

FYI next Wednesday is a close encounter to Aegaeon (closest until 2015), the parent body within the G ring. Close approach should be about 13,000 or so km and images will be taken near ~ 90 deg phase. I'm divided between thinking that these images will be vanilla, noisy images like many Cassini has taken before, or potentially spectacular. Should be worth a look though. Tracking pass begins 11:30PM UK time, 3:30PM Pacific. - Cheers.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Apr 27 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 150

On April 18 Cassini made an interesting sequence of images of E-ring and main ring halo (see http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/?sta...toredQ=2225395).
Using 3 consecutive clean-filter images with different exposures (W00063561/2/3), I made this false color "HDR" composition (red=darkest, blue=bright - solarization used too):

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 5 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 530

Oddly, I think, the Cassini status noted this:

Friday, July 30 (DOY 211)

The S61 sequence concluded and S62 began execution today at 2010-211T18:51:00. The sequence will run for 37 days and conclude on Sept. 6. During that time there will be one targeted encounter of Enceladus and eighteen non-targeted flybys ­ two each of Titan, Dione, and Epimetheus, and one each of Calypso, Atlas, Pandora, Daphnis, Janus, Pan, Tethys, Polydeuces, Telesto, Prometheus, G_ARC, and Aegaeon. Three OTMs are scheduled, numbered 259 through 261.

I thought 'G arc' and 'Aegaeon' would be the same thing??

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Aug 5 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 4270

Agaeon is a satellite, the G-arc is a ringlet.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Feb 2 2015, 05:08 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 7197

A quick, probably simple question... I wondered if this is a more or less correct guess: Are the E and G rings are kind of reflective or glossy like snowflakes? I see the way they are illuminated in the famous Saturn ring portraits and the bright points line up with the sun in the same way a glossy reflection would. The rings are of course made of many particles so the effect is diffuse and smooth. I circled what I am describing in the picture to ensure there is no confusion about what I am asking.

As a way to teach myself how to use Blender effectively I have been trying to copy various physical effects. I found that a good way to simulate the outer rings was with a hacked glossy material (I can't make a glossy volume...). My fake Saturn is here if you are curious. (If Björn Jónsson happens to read this, you are awesome and I thank you for providing all those image maps.)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
john_s
post Feb 2 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 117

"Glossy" is the wrong word- that implies a specular (mirror-like) reflection. What's going on in this image instead is that there are small particles in the G and E rings which become particularly bright when the sun is almost directly behind them (in the same way that smoke is most conspicuous when backlit by the sun). The parts of those rings that are closest to being exactly backlit are the brightest, and those parts are close to Saturn, because the Sun is behind Saturn.

John

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.