16 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
High altitude balloon payload, from Sable-3 discussion
AndyG
post Oct 3 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 279

Monitoring various sensors sounds exactly like a mission for a Basic Stamp or similar...light, affordable and programmable. I wouldn't rule it out of the equation even for a first test.

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 3 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 4 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #78

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 1 2007, 04:37 AM) *
Well... considering the fact that Voyagers 1 and 2 were originally to be Mariners (though I have no idea if they would have been Mariners 11 and 12 or not), we *almost* got a second successful pair-launch out of the program!

-the other Doug

Well, really we did. The mission was approved and in many official documents was referred to as Mariner Jupiter-Saturn. It simply underwent a name change.

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 4 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 3 2007, 01:59 PM) *
It might even be worth it to have an "instrument cam" that ONLY looks at a panel loaded with cheap little instruments.

I find this an interesting possibility. I'm surprise to not see any response to it.
One of the instruments could be a compass.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 4 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #80

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Someone suggested donating a Treo. There might be some Palm software that could run the exposures for the camera system or store information from a weather station. Would require a serial connection, IIRC.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 5 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #81

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Re Treo's and other potential offerings. They are great end user devices but trust me on this cos I do this for a living - you will encounter pain beyond belief if you try to develop any network oriented software worth attempting on any hand held platform that isn't based on Windows Mobile. I am a major, major fan of free (as in beer and as in speech) software and open source \ collaborative \ what not software but when it comes to hand held systems the only open platform worth working on today is Microsoft's. It seems mad to say it but their development environment is the most open and developer friendly system that you will find today. I know I can develop a GPS aware application (using either a built in GPS or one connected via Serial\IR\Bluetooth) that periodically (every 15-30 seconds) posts updated position data via a GPRS\UMTS\EVDO data connection, or via SMS, to a remote server of some sort using totally freely available tools for development and testing (via emulators for the platform and for the GPS). I've tried to do the same with Palm, Symbian (Nokia) and Linux (Motorola) and have been cut off at the knees every time.

Just my 2c.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 5 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #82

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

It is sad because I refuse to use a Windows Mobile device, to the point that I am still nursing my 4 year old Sony NX80v.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 5 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (helvick @ Oct 4 2007, 04:13 PM) *
Re Treo's and other potential offerings. They are great end user devices but trust me on this cos I do this for a living - you will encounter pain beyond belief if you try to develop any network oriented software worth attempting on any hand held platform that isn't based on Windows Mobile.

It is a Windows based Treo. Sorry I didn't make that clear. http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/

FWIW I used it for two or three months but hated some of its features and went with a Blackberry instead. I can probably sell it for $200-$250 on eBay, but I'm still willing to donate it if it will work. I'll even include the 2G SD card.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #84

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Will it work in the UK do you think? Quad/Tri band is the requirement I think. I can buy a pay-as-you-go sim card over here and drop it in.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 5 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 5 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Will it work in the UK do you think?

You got me on that one. Maybe Helvick has some idea. I had assumed it was all global now, subject to service arrangements.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #86

Founder

Got my three very very cheap cameras and the polystyrene enclosures ( perhaps a bit big - but even if I chop a chunk out of them and glue it back up it'll be a better job than a DIY effort ). Bloody postal strikes mean lots of other cool bits won't be arriving for a while.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #87

Founder

Well - my idea of a front-door peep hole lens to get fish-eye for the GMC isn't going to work. On both the old catcam, and the new 3 MP cameras - they're FOV is too large to crop into the round FOV from the lens. So it's a WAM technique that'll have to work.

The normal cameras come apart fairly easily and I was able to hard-solder them to a housing and run them off 2 C cells instead of the two AA's that fit internally. I was also able to strip the flash and it's capacitor off the circuitboard with no ill effect - and I've been able to remove and re-attache the ribbon that drives the LCD with no problems as well. The shutter is actually on a tiny PCB of its own and that will be fine in terms of wiring something up. The trigger circuit that I thought would do the trick may not be up to it - it actually takes a 12v supply which seems excessive.

Current plan for imaging.
  • Find a new triggering mechanism
  • Wire up cat-cam as it is for C-Cell operation (it will happily do image after image at whatever interval I ask for as long as I want all on it's own...I'm not bothered about getting GMC and the other cameras in sync) and do some life-testing of a 4000 mAh C-cell with it - pointing at trees and clouds (appropriate target)
  • Shout at the postal service because I don't have my wide angle mirrors, parachute, radio or half my order of electronic bits and pieces.
  • Carve up these new polystyrene gondola's to make them an appropriate size, glue with a hot glue gun and then find some alu tape and possibly further insulation.
  • Calibrate GMC and normal cameras. (let's call them FOC - Flight Observation Cameras - FOC A, B, C...from top to bottom) Find their FOV's and figure out a means to mount them. The way the l see it - A can mount in a side wall, C in the floor - but B is more difficult without cutting a lot of polystyrene or putting the camera almost outside.
Gizmo has a thing for Elysium and Chryse... she reached up like a Mearcat and pulled the pin I put in at the V1 landing site smile.gif

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Oct 5 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (helvick @ Oct 4 2007, 05:13 PM) *
. . . but when it comes to hand held systems the only open platform worth working on today is Microsoft's.

Grin. I'm glad we built something you liked. I'm in MS Research now, but ten years ago I was on the original Windows CE team, from which Windows Mobile is descended, and I have the "Ship-It" award to prove it.

If it would help, I could donate some MS software towards this effort. Or do you already have everything you need?

--Greg

+Quote Post
lyford
post Oct 6 2007, 03:24 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 124

I have nothing to offer this project except encouragement!

I must admit I lurk in this thread in to bask in the glow of the great DIY spirit.

Oh, and for the occasional inside peeks at UMSF's "secret shedquarters" and Gizmo. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 6 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #90

Founder

These crap 3 megapixel cameras will happily record a 15 fps 320 x 240 movie for 2 hrs none stop (just tried it - <200 meg video - 2 hrs 2 mins long). No sound...but I'm tempted to go with two cameras for photos, and one with a WAM for video. It works great.

Doug

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.