IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Most exciting year for solar system exploration?
Superstring
post Jan 1 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1129

In light of the coming rendezvous with Ceres and the Pluto-Charon system, I thought I'd start a conversation about what everyone considers to be the most exciting years in solar system exploration. I think 1969 is obviously the most exciting year for manned exploration, so for this topic I'd like to focus more on the robotic missions.

Here are the ones I consider the top 3 contenders:

1965 - Mariner 4 sends back the first pictures of another world's surface other than Earth & Luna, revealing Mars to be utterly different than many had imagined.
1979 - Voyager 1 & 2 are the first to image the surfaces of the 4 Galilean Moons, revealing their surprising natures on a global scale.
2015 - If all goes as planned, Dawn and New Horizons will image the surfaces of 3 never-explored worlds (Ceres, Pluto, and Charon) in high resolution.

Some other notable years...

1972 - Mariner 9 is the first craft to orbit another planet, and dramatically expands the scope of Mars imagery.
1974 - Mariner 10 images Venus and Mercury for the first time.
1975 - Venera 9 is the first probe to take photos from the surface of another planet.
1980 - Voyager 1 explores Saturn and several of its moons.
1986 - Voyager 2 explores the Uranus system.
1989 - Voyager 2 explores Neptune and Triton, discovering a world with nitrogen geysers.
2005 - Huygens lands on Titan, and Cassini reveals the dark side of Iapetus and the plumes of Enceladus.
2014 - Rosetta is the first craft to image a comet in high resolution and the first to land a probe on a comet.

All just my opinion. What say you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 1 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15

I would add:

1958 -- Explorer 1 discovers the van Allen belts of energetic particles trapped by Earth's magnetic field, extremely basic information needed for planning of all future spaceflights of any kind.

1959 -- Luna (aka Lunik) 3 photographs the far side of the Moon for the first time, and for the first time we see prominent backside features such as Tsiolkovsky crater.

1966 -- Humans see the Moon from its surface for the first time, from both Luna 9 and Surveyor I.

1976 -- Viking landers 1 and 2 give humanity its first actual views of Mars from its surface, making the Red Planet an actual place and not just a light in the sky.

-the other Doug (With my shield, not yet upon it)

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Jan 1 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 336

Going from memory... Once Cassini dives into Saturn in September 2017, will Mars be the only planet left with active missions? It certainly seems like the last 10 years have been the a peak time for exploration.

+Quote Post
katodomo
post Jan 1 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7261

Mariner 9 started orbiting Mars in November 1972, Mars 2 from December 1972. I'd book that for that year.

So we basically just need something for: 1957, 1960-1964, 1967-1971, 1972, 1975, 1977-1978, 1981-1985, 1987-1988, 1990-2005, 2006-2013.

laugh.gif

1957 - first orbit achieved.
1967 - first atmospheric entry probe at another planet (Venera 4)
1970 - first robotic sample return from another body (Luna 16), first teleoperated rover (Lunokhod 1), first hard landing on another planet (Venera 7)
1972 - first in-situ spectroscopic analysis of surface material of another planet (Venera 8)
1973 - first soft landing on another planet (Mars 3)
1977 - first spacecraft photo showing two separate bodies (Voyager 1 - Earth and the Moon)... ok, finding one for this year was hard
1978 - first mooring at a Sun-Earth Lagrange point (ISEE-3)

1960-1964 - only saw launch failures in attempting for new exploration achievements.
1968-1969 - Moon Race throws that one out of whack, although I bet one could find something.

Someone do 1981+. Pioneer 10 was the first beyond Neptune in 1983, and multiple firsts by Galileo comes to mind for 1990+.

+Quote Post
katodomo
post Jan 1 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7261

QUOTE (craigmcg @ Jan 1 2015, 10:15 PM) *
Going from memory... Once Cassini dives into Saturn in September 2017, will Mars be the only planet left with active missions?

"Active" as in in place? Juno's dive is scheduled for October 2017, so technically there'll still be at least one other after Cassini. For a month.

BepiColombo for Mercury would be enroute by then, since 2016. Has Venus flybys scheduled for 2019 and 2020 to swing down to Mercury for 5 flybys over the next couple years, and would then place two orbiters at Mercury in 2024.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 1 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (katodomo @ Jan 1 2015, 02:54 PM) *
So we basically just need something for... 1990-2005, 2006-2013.

Gee, you've managed to skip over my entire professional career from Mars Observer on. The only "exciting" things that have happened since 1990 were Huygens and Rosetta?

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 1 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 184

How about the Galileo probe entry in 1995, first in-situ investigation of a giant planet atmosphere?

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 2 2015, 12:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5221

I heard that two rovers landed on Mars back in 2004, along with an orbiter arriving; ring any bells? wink.gif

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jan 2 2015, 03:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 162

Just for me, Voyager 1 approach and encounter with Saturn was as exciting as it ever got.

All the way in, the ring pictures just kept getting better and better. No one imagined so much detail, and then the spokes were seen !!!

Right up to closest approach to Titan we all were hoping for a break in the clouds to see the surface, but it wasn't to be till Cassini got there.

The satellites were weirdly different from Jupiter's

The ring plane crossing was a nail biter too.

Did I mention the rings ?

wink.gif

+Quote Post
angel1801
post Jan 2 2015, 04:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 694

I rarely post here, though I am now a 3-year member of the Planetary Society.

Here's one that have not been mentioned.

1986 - Gittto imaged Halley's comet.

--------------------
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed.

- Opening line from episode 13 of "Cosmos"

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 17 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 682

I don't know if 2015 will be the more exciting year but, these days, each time I refresh, 3 topics are on top:
NH, NEAR, Philae
Definitively the most exciting MONTH.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Jun 17 2015, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (climber @ Jun 18 2015, 04:43 AM) *
I don't know if 2015 will be the more exciting year but, these days, each time I refresh, 3 topics are on top:
NH, NEAR, Philae

NEAR? That's a blast from the past! First time I ever became aware of Doug Ellison's work- that great NEAR landing photomosaic he made.

I wasn't around at the time, but I'm sure the 1979 Voyager flybys of Jupiter must make that year one of the top three. A wonderful abundance of planetary diversity revealed unexpectedly. Like having another solar system on our doorstep.

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 17 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 682

Yep, this was the Dawn tongue.gif of exploration...

I can't believe I wrote NEAR biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 17 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #14

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Meh, all those asteroids look alike, amirite? smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 17 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jan 1 2015, 06:25 PM) *
Gee, you've managed to skip over my entire professional career from Mars Observer on. The only "exciting" things that have happened since 1990 were Huygens and Rosetta?

Perhaps they mean seminal or novel, though that's still in the eyes of the beholder.

Magellen at Venus was huge for understanding that world as more than a cloud, same as Cassini at Titan.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.