IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apollo Image Products., Various mosaics, composites and other imagery.
Airbag
post Jul 18 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 453

Nice "time averaging" composite!

This thread reminded me that the picture some posts above of a dirty, tired but obviously very satisfied Gene Cernan is one of my favorite Apollo program images. I think it sums up the program very well. And a nice surprise that it could be mosaiced with the one of the stowed helmets and lunar garments.

Airbag
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Jul 18 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 347

Great processing on those Apollo 11 tv images. I'd like to see another version with the astronauts, just for scale and perspective. If they stay still for some time I guess frame averaging would reduce noise to an acceptable level.

One thing I'd like to do (although I don't know any software that would allow it) is to process the color video from latter missions restoring the original full 60fps of the camera (in black and white). This could be made by "splitting" the color data. The color data is just 20fps, because for each frame a different filter was used (so 60/3 = 20 fps). So for each normal frame of color video you can get the original 3 bw frames with full motion information. In practice this would be hard to do, but I think that the results might be very interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jul 18 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 103

Fabulous work, Don, thanks for posting - and great timing, too, as we're in the Anniversary Week. Hard to believe it has been 39 years!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jul 20 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 103

Does anyone ever find themselves wondering if July 20 will someday be declared a world holiday, to celebrate mankind's crowning achievement of the 20th century?

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 20 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Jul 20 2008, 09:27 PM) *
Does anyone ever find themselves wondering if July 20 will someday be declared a world holiday, to celebrate mankind's crowning achievement of the 20th century?

yes I did. Nevertheless, if you read any boog in french related to 1st Moon landing, they refer to when Neil first set FOOT on the Moon which was on ...July 21st here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Jul 20 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 10

>Great processing on those Apollo 11 tv images. I'd like to see another version with the astronauts, just for scale and perspective.

I provided such an image for this latest entry of my Apollo 11 annual tribute:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/PARTS/Apollo30.html

Aldrin is that vertical blob next to the right leg, in the shadow.

Don

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 20 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #22

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Striking (and depressing) sequence of images showing the deterioration of a lunar footprint, Don. smile.gif sad.gif

(Can't ever help but have mixed feelings on this day.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Jul 21 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 112

Don, your tribute makes a sad but great reading, thanks.

"It wasn't until the last Lunar expedition that Harrison Schmitt raised his visor deliberately in front of the camera to give history the only brief look at a human being in a spacesuit on the Moon."

I had no idea about this. I googled to no result. Is this image available anywhere ?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 21 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #24

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

I think this might be it...

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lau...to/schmitt1.jpg

Here's another view...

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17schmitt.face.jpg

I know hindsight is always perfect, and they were rather busy up there, and it was a different age, etc etc, but I'm constantly amazed at how many historic photo opportunities were lost during the Apollo EVAs... no definitive image of Armstrong on the Moon (like the one in Alan Bean's painting)... no image of the actual "First Footprint"... just that one "visor up" shot... But yeah, NASA was less media- and Outreach-aware in those days. I imagine they'll do things VERY differently when the next missions go, and when people reach Mars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 21 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 21 2008, 10:10 AM) *
just that one "visor up" shot...

This is may be the only "visor up" astronaut shown on the moon but I remember an enhanced product by Olivier de Goursac (Vickingmars) that clearly shows Aldrin face through the visor looking at Armstrong who was taking the picture.
Unfortunately I cannot find it. Olivier, if your read this ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 21 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 15

Well, in fact, it's not really true that Schmitt was the first to be seen on the lunar surface with his gold visor up. There are several images of Aldrin with his visor up in the video record of the very first moonwalk, all of which occurred early in the EVA when the camera was still located on the MESA, in the LM's shadow. Armstrong collected the contingency sample on Apollo 11 with his visor up, as well -- not visible on the TV, as he was out of the camera FOV at the time, but clearly visible in the 16mm film taken of those activities.

Two LMPs, Ed Mitchell and Jim Irwin, came down the ladder with their gold visors up, and the TV record shows this clearly. And at one point, on Apollo 17, Gene Cernan had his visor up while he cleaned the TV camera lens and you get a good view of his face as he finishes the dusting job.

So, between the film and video record, there are images of at least six of the twelve moonwalkers with their gold visors up and their faces visible.

Just FYI...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 21 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #27

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 21 2008, 12:56 PM) *
So, between the film and video record, there are images of at least six of the twelve moonwalkers with their gold visors up and their faces visible.

Thanks Doug, I wasn't aware of that. Appreciate the expert input. Looks like I have some serious Googling to do! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 21 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 21 2008, 03:10 AM) *
...NASA was less media- and Outreach-aware in those days....

There were the feather and hammer drop and the golf strokes. I guess those were more the initiative of individual astronauts than NASA, which makes them all the more special.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 21 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #29

The Poet Dude

Oh go on then... go and have a play around here... but be back in time for tea...

Apollo images

smile.gif

Good calls, centsworth, but I think you're right, they were individual efforts rather than NASA Outreach. Not criticising NASA at all saying that, before anyone jumps down my throat, it was a very different time. Just gettin' a mite wistful and melancholy about images that might have been.... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 21 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #30

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 21 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Two LMPs, Ed Mitchell and Jim Irwin, came down the ladder with their gold visors up, and the TV record shows this clearly.

Wow... glad you flagged that up... found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfBn6Vl-B2A

ohmy.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.