9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
Gerald
post Aug 12 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

An attempt to upload the AVI failed. So, I've provided a link to the Youtube version Emily has been so kind to load up.
One needs to pay a little bit of attention not to happen to confuse the upload for amateur observations with the upload for JunoCam products.

Re moon-enhancement: I've completed brainstorming several approaches, and am now going to implement. The first step will be related to a breadth-first algorithm to cover a single Voronoi cell with onion shells in order to determine the distance from the bright part of Jupiter for each pixel. This follows a fill algorithm for Jupiter, which assigns a zero-distance from the pixels to the bright Jupiter area.
The onion shells will also be stored explicitely to allow for quantile calculations within one or a sequence of shells.
The analysis of the shells in terms of percentiles, and the number of the shell, will go into dark bias (for noise and stray light), gamma, and stretch functions. These functions will be parameterized to allow to play with. The functions should be continuous in order to avoid visible ring artifacts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 12 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #17

The technique worked as expected, at least for the first 50 test images:
Attached Image

Hot pixels are also enhanced, but not yet filtered out.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 12 2016, 11:05 PM
Post #18

602 frames of juggling Jupiter as AVI.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 13 2016, 01:44 AM
Post #19

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Wow! This looks extremely promising and should look awesome once you have figured out a way to get rid of the hot pixels/noise.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 13 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #20

Yes, JunoCam takes great images! All you need to do is processing them appropriately.
I'm going to implement a crude "a-posteriori" filter for removal of the hot pixels and eventual CRs on dark background. It will simply look for single-filter bright pixels without neighboring pixels with a non-low value on a different color channel within some radius, and set them to black, or maybe to a point noise filtered value.
This exploits, that bright noise usually occurs in only one color band, and it considers some misalignment or low signal at the same time.

----

I've seen a question on Reddit about the black feature in the Marble Movie.
There are several stills in the Marble Movie showing shadows of moons. Here an example sequence:
Attached Image

The image is a crop of a synopsis of 600 images I've submitted to the missionjuno website for approval.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 13 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #21

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Very nice smile.gif I think you should add "SwRI" to your list of image credits (between JPL and MSSS).

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 14 2016, 01:02 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 497

For the approach movie we converted the moons to grayscale because otherwise the color fringing from slight misregistration was too distracting.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 14 2016, 02:39 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 14 2016, 01:53 AM) *
Very nice smile.gif I think you should add "SwRI" to your list of image credits (between JPL and MSSS).

Thanks! Re crediting: I'm a little confused, since the missionjuno website credits only to NASA/JPL/MSSS. But I may include SwRI in future runs again, as I've done before.

Here is the cleaned version of Marble Movie part 1 AVI (602 RGB still frames), together with the synopsis of 600 frames, as submitted to missionjuno.

I'm not yet quite happy with the dimming of the Moons near Jupiter in the AVIs, since in the meanwhile I've been able to demonstrate, that this isn't a necessity:
Attached Image
Attached Image

However, the revised method requires accurate alignment between subsequent images, in order to allow for good differencing results.
This is not identical, but related to better color alignment. To be able to improve this, for the Marble Movie stills beginning with #2450, and for accurate PJ images, I should focus again more on fine-tuning the camera calibration. I'm still far from having inferred the accuracy feasible with these images. It might even be possible to do this fully automated.

Re grey scale: This would be possible. However, it's to be applied after cleaning (postprocess) from hot pixels and CRs. But I'm unsure, whether it wouldn't be better to work with RGB as a test for RGB alignment accuracy, and as a motivation to improve it. If the resuts are urgently required for public release, it's something else. I may add this option, just in case.

Thanks again for your interesting observations and advices! smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 14 2016, 04:29 AM
Post #24

Administrator

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 13 2016, 07:39 PM) *
Thanks! Re crediting: I'm a little confused, since the missionjuno website credits only to NASA/JPL/MSSS.

Well, that's an excellent point. I'll ask for clarification.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 15 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 14 2016, 03:02 AM) *
For the approach movie we converted the moons to grayscale because otherwise the color fringing from slight misregistration was too distracting.

As a fallback option, here a grey-scale version (for the moons only, Jupiter remains in color) of the AVI, and according stills as zip, for the first 602 color frames of "Marble Movie".

I'll continue with trying, whether the same processing is able to produce at least a draft version of the movie starting with JNC image #2450.
As far as possible in parallel, I'll look for remaining minor software glitches, implement the differencing method for the moons (which is related to motion enhancement), and work on inferring constraints for camera calibration based on distant Jupiter images. I'll adjust the credit line in the processing software, if/when it turns out to be appropriate.

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Aug 15 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7013

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 13 2016, 09:29 PM) *
Well, that's an excellent point. I'll ask for clarification.

Hi Gerald - Thank you very very very much for posting your marble movie on the missionjuno website. It's great! Regarding the credits, NASA/SWRI/MSSS is preferred, but it's not a big deal. Some contributors are just using their name. (If we put out a press release then we will add the institutions on the front.) Thanks again for contributing! Candy

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 15 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #27

Hi Candy - Thank you very much! I'm happy, that you're enjoying my processings. It's a big pleasure to see - and help - your long-planned vision coming true.
-- I'm intending to submit only selected products (maybe a fast draft and a finalized version) to the missionjuno website in order to avoid to be too dominating, but I'll try to cover all non-black raw images at least once. If you happen to see intermediate products I'm posting on UMSF - or on the junocam.pictures webspace - you're interested in, don't hesitate to use them. To some degree, and possibly with some delay, I may also be able to provide modified or derived products according to specific wishes; just let me know.

-- I'll re-insert "SwRI" to the credits in future renditions.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 16 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #28

Draft AVI of parts 1 and 2 of the "Marble Movie" with grey-scaled enhanced moons, sometimes filterd out by noise filter.
I'm working on several of the issues.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 16 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #29

Administrator

Spectacular!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 16 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #30

Parts 3 and 4 of the raw Marble Movie images are available on the missionjuno site.
If my computer doesn't go to produce small white clouds of smoke, I hope I'll be a little faster with a draft version this time.

Edit: File naming convention changed. Filename contains image number in hexadecimal and iso time. Applied filters are provided in attribute "FILTER_NAME" of json file.
See also json attribute "SOURCE_PRODUCT_ID" as reference to filename.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.