2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dwarf Planet Eris, formerly known as 'Xena'
SigurRosFan
post Sep 13 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 471

Here's the official name of the 'Xena' ...

Eris: 'Xena' (2003 UB313, 136199)

Eris I or Dysnomia: 'Gabrielle'

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Sep 13 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 471

Sources:

- http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iauc/RecentIAUCs.html

----------
IAUC 8747 (2006 Sept. 13)

* (134340) PLUTO, (136199) ERIS, AND (136199) ERIS I (DYSNOMIA)

----------

- http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/special/08747.pdf (IAU Circular PDF)

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Jyril
post Sep 13 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 408

Eris is the personification of strife and Dysnomia is the goddess of anarchy and disobedience.

--------------------
The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

+Quote Post
Jyril
post Sep 13 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #4

Oh, and the Roman counterpart (actually translation) of Eris is Discordia. According to the Wikipedia, the character Discord in the Hercules and Xena television series is based on her.

--------------------
The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 14 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Jyril @ Sep 13 2006, 04:12 PM) *
Eris is the personification of strife and Dysnomia is the goddess of anarchy and disobedience.

laugh.gif Very appropriate!

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
David
post Sep 14 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 56

So it was Eris that threw the golden apple of 2003 UB313 amongst the astronomers, to incite them to strife and contention over the definition of a planet...

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 14 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15

I seem to recall that Brown, et. al., were holding off on announcing the "real" names of their discoveries until after it was determined whether or not 'Xena' would be considered a planet. Something about planet naming conventions vs. TNO naming conventions.

So -- does anyone know, are these names the TNO versions of the names they had in mind? Or were they looking at these names all along?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 14 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 321

My very eager mother just started using non plastic earrings.

It's a planet to me. Civil disobedience as is necessary.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2006, 04:46 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 13 2006, 05:52 PM) *
So -- does anyone know, are these names the TNO versions of the names they had in mind? Or were they looking at these names all along?

I seem to remember reading around the time that Quaoar was named that a general naming source for KBOs was going to be non-western creation myths, but I can't find that reference at the moment (Mike Brown's web pages have all been updated since then.)

Frankly, if these names reference the IAU debacle, then they are a little too whimsical for my taste.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
alan
post Sep 14 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 110

Nice name, the group responsible for approving names must have a sense of humor. Who would have expected that. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jyril
post Sep 14 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Space.com:

Eris' discoverer, Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology, said the name was an obvious choice, calling it "too perfect to resist.''

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 14 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 124

As the Bad Astronomer points out:
The moon of Eris, formerly known as Gabrielle, is now Dysnomia, the goddess of lawlessness.
Mind the pun here: Xena was played by Lucy Lawless! Man, that’s funny. That must have been on purpose. I’ll have to track that down.

That's a great story, but may be too good to be true.... smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Sep 14 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #13

Guests

lyford wrote: That's a great story, but may be too good to be true....

Actually I do think the name have been chosen for the connection to that Xena - an in joke.
Just like the two first letter of the name Pluto gets the initials of Percival Lowell. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jyril
post Sep 14 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #14

SkyTonight.com:

The satellite, now called Dysnomia, is named for Eris's daughter, the goddess of lawlessness — a tribute, says Brown, to the actress who played Xena, Warrior Princess: Lucy Lawless. But Brown is quick to point out that the moon also follows another tradition for "dwarf planet" satellite names: Pluto's moon Charon was discovered in 1978 by James W. Christy, and the first syllable in Charon matches the first syllable in Christy's wife's name, Charlene. Brown's wife's name is Diane. "We're going to call the moon Di," says Brown.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 15 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (alan @ Sep 14 2006, 06:53 AM) *
Nice name, the group responsible for approving names must have a sense of humor. Who would have expected that. tongue.gif

Both I and my roommate are pagan -- he's a Druid and I'm a Wiccan -- and when we heard the names they chose for 'Xena' and 'Gabrielle,' we were floored! I mean, there are certain groups who refuse to even speak those names (or the names of similar gods of discord and mischief from other pantheons), as just their mere mention, it is thought, can invite that discordant energy into one's life... sad.gif It's sort of like going into the Harry Potter universe and naming a new planet 'Voldemort,' if you know what I mean.

However, as a jibe at the discord that the current "debate" has engendered in the astronomical community, I think they're absolutely perfect!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.