Rev 49 - Aug 9-Sep 14, 2007 - Iapetus I1, The only close flyby of Iapetus
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 11 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #196

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 11 2007, 11:04 PM) *
On one hand, it's a bummer. On the other hand, it gives us another chunk of "Here there be tygers" terrain in the solar system to look forward to discovering in the futue.

I get the impression that poorly imaged terrain isn't going to be any bigger than would have been the case had nothing gone wrong. Seems to be global multispectral coverage that was lost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 11 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #197

Group: Members
Member No.: 627

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 11 2007, 07:04 PM) *
"Some see the glass as half full,
some see the glass half empty,
and some see it as time for another round."
-Mike

Remember Voyager 2? We lost all the high res on Tethys and Enceladus when the scan platform seized up.
Plus all the post close encounter flyby science except for a long distance Phoebe image. Amend that, we did get particles and fields data.

The glass is definitely more than half full, and this just means we go for another round (extended mission).

Craig

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 11 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Sep 11 2007, 11:01 PM) *
??? We will fill that gap, don't worry! Just not tonight...

It certainly has not been a disaster. Aggravating, but not a disaster. We will get nearly all the high-resolution science we planned on.

By the way, the REGMAPTRL001 images are just fine! Most of that just won't get played back until tomorrow.

That sounds very encouraging - thanks for the report. We would then see the global mosaic of the receding lit side. It will just be slightly more challenging to map without the best quality global context view (except we might later get something from roughly 700000km distance). There'll be plenty of time though for that!

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 11 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 11 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #200

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 11 2007, 11:54 PM) *
Ian - what? Solid state power switch trips occur several times a year, each time safing the s/c. We don't always hear about them, they're mostly mentioned in Cassini weekly reports.

Gordan - I was referring to the article on the Cassini website that stated: "The last time Cassini was in safe mode was over four years ago."

--------------------

+Quote Post
OWW
post Sep 11 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #201

Member No.: 99

I thought REGMAPTRL001 was after the fateful downlink? Shouldn't it be lost?

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Sep 11 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #202

Member No.: 89

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Sep 11 2007, 11:01 PM) *
??? We will fill that gap, don't worry! Just not tonight...

It certainly has not been a disaster. Aggravating, but not a disaster. We will get nearly all the high-resolution science we planned on.

By the way, the REGMAPTRL001 images are just fine! Most of that just won't get played back until tomorrow.

A few CIRS global maps should also be gone. And outbound RADAR data...

BTW, I m happy that the REGMAPTRL001 sequence is ok biggrin.gif

Robert

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Sep 11 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #203

Member No.: 381

I don't think we can count on another Iapetus flyby to be added to the extended mission. After all, they worked on designing the extended tour for a couple of years, so it's pretty much set in stone. But there is predicted to be approx. 125 m/sec delta-V left for Cassini at the end of the extended mission, making an extended extended mission possible. Another Iapetus flyby should get some consideration for that, though I would have wished for a reason other than data loss in this flyby.

Fortunately, an extended extended Cassini mission fits in perfectly with Alan Stern's "squeeze every drop of science out of every spacecraft" philosophy.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Sep 11 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #204

Member No.: 426

It'd be nice to see another flyby, but with the science objectives from this one having apparently been fulfilled, that just doesn't seem too likely. Yeah, it'd be nice to see the Moat in sunlight, but that's probably not worth the trouble of setting up another flyby in three or four years' time.

On the lighter side, I just checked out the Front Page list of all the members currently browsing Unmanned Spacecraft. About 25 right now, almost all of whom are fairly obviously here for the Iapetus flyby.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 11 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #205

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (OWW @ Sep 11 2007, 04:22 PM) *
I thought REGMAPTRL001 was after the fateful downlink? Shouldn't it be lost?

The REGMAPTRL001 sequence occurred on September 10 at 22:40 UTC and ran through September 11 at 00:40 UTC. The first downlink started on September 11 at 05:30 UTC. We got most of the first frame and expect the rest during tomorrow's downlink.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
OWW
post Sep 11 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #206

I keep staring and staring at the timeline:

http://planetary.org/news/2007/0906_Cassin...ns_YinYang.html

But I don't see any REGMAPTRL001 before the +6h mark. I really can't see how REGMAPTRL001 could have survived. Am I missing something?

EDIT: thanks VP.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Sep 11 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #207

From Emily's blog:

If you read my timeline, the safing event happened right about 6 hours after closest approach, after all the highest-res observations. Nothing after the 20:05 mark of the timeline was executed, which is too bad, but all the good stuff is there.

Maybe a small error? smile.gif Should it read 14 hours and 05:10? That would be a small relief.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Sep 12 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #208

Member No.: 426

Umm. So if I'm correctly reading the information from Jason, and from the mission timeline:

(1) There was a very brief downlink 6 hours after C/A.

(2) A much longer downlink had been planned for 15 hours after C/A. However, a cosmic ray hit occurred just after this downlink started, delaying its completion by a couple of days, but not leading to any loss of data.

There seems to be some confusion regarding which of (1) and (2) constitutes the "first post-flyby data downlink". Number (2) would have been the first MAJOR post-flyby data downlink.

Maybe the fact that the cosmic ray hit happened to occur around 6:00 UTC contributed to this?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 12 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #209

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's another of the saturnshine images - a composite of three frames. Not very pretty...

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 12 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #210

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

You're quite right, Rob, my error ohmy.gif I've now fixed my blog entry.

Very, very sorry to have scared you all, folks.

Can't imagine why the data hasn't hit the raw page yet. I now won't be able to work on these pictures anymore until the baby goes to bed. sad.gif It may be an early bedtime tonight...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.