Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager Enters Final Frontier Of Solar System
Xcalibrator
post Sep 17 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 6994

QUOTE (dtolman @ Sep 16 2018, 11:23 PM) *
As of a week later, I see its spiking a lot higher, then started dropping rapidly - for those of us following along at home - if this would follow the v1 plot, would this then crash to the floor?

dilo included a nice plot of the V1 data in post 86 showing how the >0.5 MeV proton rate crashed to 2.1 and >70 MeV rose less dramatically to 2.26 ct/s. The latest modeling I've read about suggests that the boundary is (or was in 2017) moving outward while V2 is catching up to it. If the boundary breathes in and out, V2 may cross it more than once, making things a bit confusing. The web-page tools that let you make your own plots seem to have lost access to the latest data in the intervening years so we'll just have to wait for what they give us every few days. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to post dilo's plot directly here.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xcalibrator
post Sep 22 2018, 02:23 AM
Post #137

The plots are continuing to look very promising, and they were updated not once but twice(!) today, after many months of couple-times-a-week. I'd bet the >0.5 MeV rate is below 10 ct/s by the end of next week and then we'll see it in the news.

+Quote Post
Xcalibrator
post Oct 8 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #138

Well, I was too optimistic about the timing, but there is some attention in the news. Not really any new info there, but yes, we are officially getting close.

Edit: Note that although the plots say "6-Hour Avg" they are actually 12-hour aves. They switched several months ago (or maybe a year or two)--don't know why.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Oct 8 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 1102

The >70 Me V just need to climb from 2.05 to 2.25 and the >0.5 Me V drop from 27 to about 2. Hoping by the end of the Month...

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 01:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.