IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rover visualization and other apps, For discussions of ways to view and understand the mission
Phil Stooke
post Apr 8 2021, 06:25 AM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Hi Everyone. I am starting a thread for discussions of the many ways people are interacting with Perseverance (and potentially other missions). These subjects are getting spread around other threads and maybe getting in the way of basic mission updates etc., so this is a place to bring this together. Feel free to contribute to it.
I am going to start by asking about panoramas - what's the best way to do this with Perseverance images, especially Navcam images from every end of drive?
Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Apr 9 2021, 04:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 8 2021, 08:25 AM) *
Hi Everyone. I am starting a thread for discussions of the many ways people are interacting with Perseverance (and potentially other missions). These subjects are getting spread around other threads and maybe getting in the way of basic mission updates etc., so this is a place to bring this together. Feel free to contribute to it.
I am going to start by asking about panoramas - what's the best way to do this with Perseverance images, especially Navcam images from every end of drive?
Phil

Thank you very much Phil for this new thread.
About the Navcam images, the best thing to do is obviously to build 'donut' panoramas at the end of drives... as you already did so well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan Kinnett
post Apr 9 2021, 06:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9001

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce you to (yet another) rover and terrain visualization web app which I hope will help folks become familiar with Perseverance and the Jezero Delta.

My Rover3D page mimics actual MER and MSL driving tools. The Perseverance rover model derives from the official JPL public release model, but has been heavily modified to finish incomplete texture and material mapping, and has been split into articulable parts which you can control via sliders, similar to the official rover driving tools. Or you can send the arm, RSM, and HGA to one of several selectable canonical poses, matching MSL's standard defined poses (note: the default arm pose in the public release model, with upper arm horizontal and forearm vertical, is non-standard and not generally used).

The Jezero Delta front-range terrain is composed of a HiRISE ortho-rectified luminance image (downscaled to 50cm/px for performance), blended with one of Justin Cowart's masterpiece CRISM color mosaics, and draped over a MOLA DTM.

Click "ABOUT" in the upper-left corner for general information, controls, and credits. The controls take a minute to get used to, but are optimized to help you scoot around the scene quickly and freely. Quick synopsis:
  • Left-click and drag to rotate view around a center point
  • Right-click (or hold shift and left-click) and drag to pan the view up/down/left/right
  • Double click anywhere on the terrain to center the view at that point
  • Press "r" key to center the view over the [r]over
  • Press "d" key to [d]rop the rover onto the terrain behind your mouse cursor

Explore the northern Delta approach strategic route (cyan), southern approach route (blue), and the delta entry route (yellow)!

Planned future work:
  • Some form of driving, wasd key-based and/or waypoint-based
  • Sync to telemetry (after SPICE kernels are made available)
  • Add named features and points of interest markers
  • Render camera frustums
  • Support local Navcam/Mastcam-Z terrain meshes

Screenshots:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

I hope you find this useful!

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 9 2021, 07:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8974

Very nice 3D scene ! I think the larger scale and focus on the rover model complements very well what I have pieced together at https://bit.ly/PercyMAP which started out more as a zoomable interactive, detailed map and then expanded a bit to include 3d features.

I am developing that 3d map at https://github.com/andreasplesch/Mars2020/t...main/docs/3dmap . The technology is quite different from three.js and the code needs refactoring but please feel free to adopt anything you may find useful in this repo.

May I ask if I can use your enhanced Perseverance glTF model on my page ? It would be pretty much a drop in replacement and would be a nice addition.

--------------------
--
Andreas Plesch, andreasplesch at gmail dot com

+Quote Post
Ryan Kinnett
post Apr 9 2021, 04:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Apr 8 2021, 11:53 PM) *
Very nice 3D scene ! I think the larger scale and focus on the rover model complements very well what I have pieced together at https://bit.ly/PercyMAP which started out more as a zoomable interactive, detailed map and then expanded a bit to include 3d features.

I am developing that 3d map at https://github.com/andreasplesch/Mars2020/t...main/docs/3dmap . The technology is quite different from three.js and the code needs refactoring but please feel free to adopt anything you may find useful in this repo.

May I ask if I can use your enhanced Perseverance glTF model on my page ? It would be pretty much a drop in replacement and would be a nice addition.

Thanks Andreas. Nice job on that mapping page. It is definitely helping folks build a sense of scale around the landing area. I was hoping this thread could be a sort of showcase for tools that may be useful in various ways to mission followers. Please consider writing a synopsis about your mapping page here.

You’re welcome to use the rover model. Do you think you might want to articulate the rover? If so, then you’ll need some code to map and control the joints. If you don’t need to articulate then I can send you a gltf with the arm stowed and merged back into one solid mesh object, which helps with performance. Or something in between - we can make just the RSM articulable, for example.

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Apr 9 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (Ryan Kinnett @ Apr 8 2021, 11:07 PM) *
Hi all,

Wanted to introduce you to (yet another) rover and terrain visualization web app which I hope will help folks become familiar with Perseverance and the Jezero Delta......

Sounds great but I just found out Firefox doesn't like it. Crashed my browser.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Apr 10 2021, 07:55 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4251

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Apr 9 2021, 12:56 PM) *
Sounds great but I just found out Firefox doesn't like it. Crashed my browser.

Worked for me. Firefox 87 on Ubuntu Linux. No plugins / addons other than two cookie blockers and FB containment.

+Quote Post
Ryan Kinnett
post Apr 10 2021, 09:36 PM
Post #8

Thanks guys for testing. I’ve got it crashing in Firefox as well. Looking into it.

Hey Phil, regarding your question about navcam panoramas, you’re familiar with the general process of manually downloading and stitching; are you asking for suggestions for how to automate the process, or maybe a web app for this?

If you’re looking for an automated local process, in linux it shouldn’t be too hard to write a python or shell script to look for new navcam images from a common sequence, and even verify in metadata that the images overlap, then download the images and stitch them using either hugin or python/opencv. You could then set this script up as a cron job to check once per hour, for example, and even send you some sort of alert when a new pano is ready. It would be neat to do this on a raspberry pi and set it up as a web server so you can view the panoramas from anywhere on your network or even over the internet.

If you’re looking for a webpage, marslife.org is probably your best bet. If you had something different in mind, I could potentially put something together.

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 10 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Ryan Kinnett @ Apr 9 2021, 12:41 PM) *
You’re welcome to use the rover model. Do you think you might want to articulate the rover? If so, then you’ll need some code to map and control the joints. If you don’t need to articulate then I can send you a gIltf with the arm stowed and merged back into one solid mesh object, which helps with performance. Or something in between - we can make just the RSM articulable, for example.

Thanks for sharing the rover model. For now I am using the rover mostly for scale and because it is a nice model. So a mesh optimized for loading could be quite helpful. I managed to animate the helicopter model blades and could do something like that for the rover joints but do not have a good, idea how to make this a useful feature. Perhaps when arm joints pose data becomes available along with drive data. Mast cam pose is already available from the image json, I believe and it may be fun and useful to have an option to replay a given day. One could fetch (async) all the zcam json, organize it by day, develop daily animations from the poses, either sped up real time, or just for some fixed interval (5s), and play the animation for a requested day, until some other action is requested. Could be perhaps doable. The scene camera could optionally track although this may be disorienting.

An idea would be to develop a drive planning or future drive options app which could include arm planning and arm feasibility testing. But this really needs integration of navigation imagery and in particular integration of local surface reconstruction from the stereo images which is out of reach for me. Also overall (perhaps too) ambitious for me.

Given the limited although still high resolution of the HiRISE coverage, I am undecided if it will be worth keeping the 3d map page updated after we leave the helicopter flight zone. It may come down to some experiments or some need for me at a later point.

I have shared some info on my 3d map in other topics and can provide a summary and ideas for future features here.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 11 2021, 01:35 AM
Post #10

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Hi Ryan - don't worry. What I was really doing was trying to encourage other people to make panoramas, as Jan van Driel does for Curiosity after every drive. I have enough to do without also making panoramas.
Phil

QUOTE (Ryan Kinnett @ Apr 10 2021, 02:36 PM) *
Thanks guys for testing. I've got it crashing in Firefox as well. Looking into it.

Hey Phil, regarding your question about navcam panoramas, you're familiar with the general process of manually downloading and stitching; are you asking for suggestions for how to automate the process, or maybe a web app for this?

If you're looking for an automated local process, in linux it shouldn't be too hard to write a python or shell script to look for new navcam images from a common sequence, and even verify in metadata that the images overlap, then download the images and stitch them using either hugin or python/opencv. You could then set this script up as a cron job to check once per hour, for example, and even send you some sort of alert when a new pano is ready. It would be neat to do this on a raspberry pi and set it up as a web server so you can view the panoramas from anywhere on your network or even over the internet.

If you're looking for a webpage, marslife.org is probably your best bet. If you had something different in mind, I could potentially put something together.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Ryan Kinnett
post Apr 11 2021, 07:55 AM
Post #11

I may have fixed the firefox loading issue. At least, it's working on both of my machines, including an older, budget laptop. I added a terrain resolution control and have it default to 2m resolution for mobile devices, otherwise 1m (downgraded from 50cm). Strangely, it seems Chrome can handle 16k texture maps whereas FF is limited to 8k.

QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Apr 10 2021, 03:01 PM) *
Thanks for sharing the rover model. For now I am using the rover mostly for scale and because it is a nice model. So a mesh optimized for loading could be quite helpful.

In case it's useful, I posted an arm-stowed version of the rover model here.

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 10 2021, 05:35 PM) *
What I was really doing was trying to encourage other people to make panoramas, as Jan van Driel does for Curiosity after every drive.

I'll start experimenting with automating navcam panoramas. Not sure I can be counted on to post after every drive though. That's very impressive dedication (as is yours!).

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Apr 11 2021, 10:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 8 2021, 08:25 AM) *
.../... what's the best way to do this with Perseverance images, especially Navcam images from every end of drive?

Many people I know, including myself, encounter problems mosaicking Perseverance's NavCam images using regular softwares : AutoPano, PTGuy, Hugin, ICE, etc. (*).
When it comes to include the lowest part of the images, those are so much distorted that the results are ugly (sometimes the softwares show no result at all).
I've got so much work to do (apart from job) for our French national astronomical organization (Societe Astronomique de France), that I don't have enough time to enter into computer programming
But, I'd like feeding our educational website from time to time with lovely panoramic pictures with comments about the mission (see recent link on the SAF website as an example : https://saf-astronomie.fr/fonds-decran/ ).
Any solutions found to mosaic those NavCam images, please ?
Thanks so much in advance, this would really help the UMSF community (and the Planetary Society of which I am an active member) smile.gif
(*) After devignetting and color correction

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 11 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Ryan Kinnett @ Apr 11 2021, 03:55 AM) *
In case it's useful, I posted an arm-stowed version of the rover model here.

Thanks. I have updated https://bit.ly/PercyMAP with the arm-stowed rover model, still waiting for the traverse json to be hopefully corrected.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Apr 12 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 678

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Apr 11 2021, 12:14 PM) *
Many people I know, including myself, encounter problems mosaicking Perseverance's NavCam images using regular softwares : AutoPano, PTGuy, Hugin, ICE, etc. (*).
When it comes to include the lowest part of the images, those are so much distorted that the results are ugly (sometimes the softwares show no result at all).
(*) After devignetting and color correction

For me it's not really about that.

For me, it's about those colours. I mean seriously, Curiosity color pictures are very homogeneous, there is little to correct between them (maybe sometime a little bit of R/B balance, exposure) but THAT'S ALL.

Why Perserverance imagery is so off ? All of it, both Nav/HazCams, Mastcam or WATSON. Because, stitching pictures, remove vignetting, I can do that. But when it comes to color weirdness like this, I can't. Even with a "single" picture like those full res Navcam cut in many pieces, there is this difference between the frames. I don't why we have that but it's annoying. And I think it's not encouraging, because I read people about the "real colors" of Mars saying that Percy imagery is deceiving, too yellow, or too blue, or too something, and why so different than Curiosity ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 12 2021, 11:45 AM
Post #15

Here is an overview of https://bit.ly/PercyMAP

PercyMAP is an interactive, 3d map web application. The focus is on allowing exploration of the detailed surroundings of the landing area of the Perseverance rover and the flight zone of the Ingenuity helicopter using 10cm resolution EDL imagery, a 25cm HiRISE mosaic, and a 1m HiRISE DTM.

In addition, labelled way points the rover has reached during his stay in the area are shown. as well as a few landmarks such as the designated flight zone of the helicopter and the lookout location from which the rover observes the helicopter during its first flights. The blue way point symbols are linked to relevant posts and web pages. Animated rover and helicopter models at correct scales are shown as well.

Zooming in on a particular detail of interest is accomplished by mouse navigation. Double clicking on a spot will recenter the view, and subsequent zooming can then be achieved by wheeling or right mouse drag. There is a small help box which can be toggled on showing these mousing options.

It is possible to accurately determine coordinates and measure distances. Clicking on the map will add the location to a list of points which shows the coordinates of the point, and the distance to the point previously digitized. For example, it is possible to determine the distance from the lookout to the helicopter, or the distance between way points.

Other features include sliders for controlling the amount of vertical exaggeration, and image contrast. By default, topography is vertically exaggerated five times in order to emphasize the subtle relief in the area. Feel free to reduce to 1x or enhance as useful.

Finally, a row of buttons on the top provide 3d perspective views. NORTH looks towards north along the flight zone, LOOKOUT looks from the lookout location to the initial helicopter air field, and MAP returns to a top down map view. The RESET button resets the view to the initial configuration before any mouse navigation.

Future plans include improving the rover drive animation to adhere to ground level at any level of vertical exaggeration, recreating helicopter flights, or less restricted viewing, for example from the current position of the Mastcam. Viewing currently is guided towards a focus on the ground surface.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:10 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.