85 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
Greg Hullender
post Sep 27 2009, 04:27 AM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

Since brightness of a star goes up as the fourth power of mass, it occurs to me that another problem presents itself: if a giant star did have a planet orbiting in the Goldilocks zone, that planet would have a period of decades or even centuries. There's simply no hope of seeing repeated transits.

--Greg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 27 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #332

Member No.: 4270

Indeed. Another thing to consider is that even if this planet is in the habitable zone, it hasn't been for long, and won't be much longer. Habitable Earth-like planets around giant stars seem unlikely.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 27 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #333

The official objectives for Kepler aren't limited just to potentially habitable planets:
Kepler Mission Scientific Objective:
The scientific objective of the Kepler Mission is to explore the structure and diversity of planetary systems. This is achieved by surveying a large sample of stars to:

1. Determine the percentage of terrestrial and larger planets there are in or near the habitable zone of a wide variety of stars;
  2. Determine the distribution of sizes and shapes of the orbits of these planets;
  3. Estimate how many planets there are in multiple-star systems;
  4. Determine the variety of orbit sizes and planet reflectivities, sizes, masses and densities of short-period giant planets;
  5. Identify additional members of each discovered planetary system using other techniques; and
  6. Determine the properties of those stars that harbor planetary systems.

I personally think it would be quite interesting to learn what sort of planets, if any, orbit giant stars. However, it does seem that Kepler wouldn't be likely to find them, even if it were trying to -- for all the reasons we've already given.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 27 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #334

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Sep 27 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I personally think it would be quite interesting to learn what sort of planets, if any, orbit giant stars. However, it does seem that Kepler wouldn't be likely to find them, even if it were trying to -- for all the reasons we've already given.

Several planets have been discovered orbiting giant stars through radial velocity. So far, most of them have been gas giant planets, probably the result of the biased nature of the radial velocity method.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 28 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #335

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Sep 27 2009, 02:52 PM) *
Several planets have been discovered orbiting giant stars through radial velocity.

Not that I can tell. The most massive star listed in the Extrasolar Planets Encyclopedia has a mass 4.5 times that of the Sun. Giant stars start at 10x the mass of the Sun.

http://www.exoplanet.eu/catalog-all.php?&a...=8&more=yes

I'd be interested to learn otherwise, though. What's your source?

EDIT: Nevermind; it's radius, not mass, and the Encyclopedia gives 21 like that -- none smaller than 2.6 times the mass of Jupiter.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 28 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #336

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Sep 27 2009, 10:40 PM) *
the Encyclopedia gives 21 like that -- none smaller than 2.6 times the mass of Jupiter.

Ah, that sounds right. I couldn't recall at the time I made my post if all of them were gas planets, or if there was a Neptune somewhere in there, thus the use of "most". unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 4 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #337

Guests

During yesterday's Belgian Association for Astronomy's yearly meeting, some astronomers pointed out that the Kepler team will have to wait for the installation of new high precision spectrograph at Herschel Telescope at La Palma as HARPS in La Silla cannot reach Kepler's Field of View (Cygnus)...

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Oct 15 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #338

A new Mission Manager update at Kepler:

http://www.kepler.arc.nasa.gov/about/manager.html

They're getting a handle on those earlier safing events -- something to do with a low-voltage power supply, but at least not a processor defect. No word on how they're planning to deal with it though.

--Greg

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 2 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 617

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11/02/no...ler-until-2011/

"A glitch in the Kepler spacecraft's electronics means the space telescope will not have the ability to spot an Earth-sized planet until 2011, according to principal investigator William Borucki."

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 3 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #340

Member No.: 530

I interpreted those reports to mean that data acquisition is fine... they just need new algorithms to massage the data, and writing the software will take a couple years. No?

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Nov 3 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #341

Member No.: 557

The article mentioned uploading the new algorithms to Kepler. That would seem to me that the data processing change will occur on the spacecraft (assuming the article got it right). No telling what you can do with the data already on the ground, at least from this news item.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Nov 3 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #342

Member No.: 4168

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 2 2009, 07:09 PM) *
I interpreted those reports to mean that data acquisition is fine... they just need new algorithms to massage the data, and writing the software will take a couple years. No?

Sort of. I read it as...

The data acquisition is ok but not as good as hoped. The data is noisier than hoped. The noise can be removed with software algorithms. The software will take a couple years to develop.

It's a major bummer but it's also completely understandable. I really wish we could build another with all the kinks worked out and send it up next month, but that's just not the way it works.

+Quote Post
Byran
post Nov 3 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #343

Member No.: 493

Kepler mission uses double differential photometry?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 3 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #344

I'm pretty sure so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Byran
post Nov 3 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #345

Member No.: 493

I.e. already collected for 6 months photometry is not possible to fix, since the processing is on board a space ship?

--------------------

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.