djellison
post Dec 20 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #196

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (vjkane @ Dec 20 2007, 01:15 AM) *
In my opinion, I'd fly MSO in 2013 to support ExoMars,

I wouldn't. There is no certainty that ExoMars will fly. Offer relay with available assets, sure, but don't spend many hundreds of millions of dollars to support a mission that might not fly, and if it doesn't, may well not work. There's being an international partner...and there's going out on a limb.

MSR may be expensive, but MSO and two AFL's don't come cheap either. There will be the '11 orbiter, MRO, MODY and MEX ( with decreasing likelyhood of still being active from left to right ) for ExoMars relay.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Dec 21 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #197

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

Flying MSO to do mostly relay and a little science wouldn't be worthwhile, IMO. But if you could do something like, say, fly an imaging SAR on MSO and have the SAR antenna do double duty as part of a high-capacity data relay system, then MSO becomes a much more attractive mission (for ExoMars, AFL, even a surface network). I believe Magellan was an example of being able to use a SAR antenna for multiple purposes.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jan 30 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #198

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Mariner9 @ Dec 19 2007, 07:40 PM) *
I'm not sure that there is an orbiter in the latest ExoMars proposal.

It is not... smile.gif
It is expected that MRO and their sucessors do the data relay work.
Another thing, it appears that the possible Russian participation is far from happening since Jorge Vago, ExoMars Project Scientist told me that the baseline points to an Ariane 5 ECA launcher...
He also described the landing process...cool...and with some details I wasn't aware of...like this one:
"The Composite (Carrier + Descent Module) will arrive to Mars in late 2014.
It will go into a parking orbit and wait there approximately 1 year, until the atmospheric conditions are optimal for landing (sufficient atmospheric density and no danger of dust storms).
Then? The Composite will execute a manoeuvre at apogee to retarget the spacecraft for the entry trajectory. Two days later, the Carrier will separate the Descent Module, which will then enter the atmosphere."

One year in orbit?...doing what?...Man...forgot to ask about that... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 30 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #199

Administrator

Skycrane AND Airbags AND an orbiter that gets thrown away AND a year long wait on orbit.

AND making the assumption that MRO/MEX/MODY will be in a position to offer relay, 8 years from now without providing any alternative of our own.

huh.gif

I really am sorry to sound so negative about Exomars...it just seems like the wrong way to be going - lots of decisions that seem to be inappropriate compromises to problems that should be engineered out of the equation. I really really don't want to see ESA spend this much money and get it wrong, and I think they are. Big Kudos to Ustrax for getting us some lovely juicy details!

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jan 30 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #200

Special Cookie

AND...although I'm an optimistic one...did you see that there is something that I haven't read before?...A reference to 2016?... wink.gif

Kudos?...I'd rather have a beer paid in the nearest pub... tongue.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Jan 30 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #201

Member No.: 528

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 30 2008, 04:10 AM) *
Skycrane AND Airbags AND an orbiter that gets thrown away AND a year long wait on orbit.

I don't think there is a Skycrane in the most recent ExoMars design. That word was used in the article, but I don't think it was an accurate term. The description given was of a rocket motor firing and stopping the lander 30 meters above the ground, then releasing the lander and having it drop the last 30 meters.

That is almost exactly how Pathfinder and MER landed. The Skycrane of MSL hovers over the ground and lowers the lander (gently, so they claim) to the surface.

But as for the rest of it.... I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

A long, long time ago a lot of us were saying that this mission was too big a jump for ESA to make from Mars Express, and that 600 million Euros was a fantasy budget. They've since wised up about the budget, but that still leaves me wondering about the wisdom of trying to jump from "orbiter derived from Rosseta" to "a mission far grander than MER".

So far the mission has slipped from 2011 - 2013. I've gotta wonder if it will slip furthur. If it does, I hope it also gets a bit more modest in scope, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 30 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #202

Administrator

" The last stage of the descent is performed with throttable liquid rocket engines which will compensate the horizontal wind component and stop the Descent Module in mid air, about 10 m from the ground. The Lander will then be dropped and the Descent Module backshell will fly away."

That's a liquid fueled, actively guided decent stage. Maybe it doesn't hover like the MSL decent stage (although 'stop in mid air' is a pretty accurate description of MSL) , but it's a lot more like MSL than the RAD's of the MER design.

Doug

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 30 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #203

Member No.: 132

I'm confused. Are we for or against the notion that Skycrane is a name for the decent
stage as opposed to just being the name of a maneuver performed by the decent stage.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jan 30 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #204

Member No.: 174

Part of the "Skycrane" idea is lowering the lander to touchdown on a cable from the hovering crane.
The described system is more like a smart, capable, liquid fueled, horizontal velocity nulling MER backshell system than a true skycrane.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 30 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #205

Administrator

As described, it's the MSL decent stage, without a winch. It will have to tick almost all the same engineering boxes required for the skycrane manouver. It's much much closer to MSL than MER. One could argue that MSL is just a smart, capable, liquid fueled, horizontal velocity nulling MER backshell system....with a winch. The moment you decide to come to a standstill, and intelligently throttle out the cross-terrain speed, you're basically building Viking/MPL/Phoenix etc

(the hardware is decent stage, the maneuver is skycrane, although even I say skycrane in error half the time biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Jan 31 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #206

ExoMars is going through the same kind of teething pains that MSL did. Early in the planning stages, MSL was going to travel hundreds of kilometers across Mars, operating 24 hours a day, with a high degree of autonomy. It reminds me of that famous phrase "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else, what's a Heaven for?"

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 31 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #207

Administrator

QUOTE (monitorlizard @ Jan 31 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Early in the planning stages, MSL was going to travel hundreds of kilometers across Mars, operating 24 hours a day

Really? Where did you read that? I've never seen MSL described as driving at night, or driving hundreds of KM.

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Jan 31 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #208

I didn't say MSL would drive at night, I said it would operate 24 hours a day. With the RTG, the analytical instruments would have operated as well at night as during the day. However, that was in the early planning stages, I'm not sure what the current plans are.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 31 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #209

Administrator

Even at UMSF, we've had explanations as to the likely operating schedule for MSL, and it's surprising similarity to MER ( do stuff, then charge )

People may have presumed ( as I did at first ) that an RTG means it's a 24 hour science party - but it isn't - and I don't think MSL was ever actually expected to be.

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jan 31 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #210

Special Cookie

Oh Doug...You're gonna love this... rolleyes.gif

You guys are all invited, I expect heavy artillery from this side... laugh.gif
Prepare your ammunitions!

EDITED: btw, I have posted today a graphic showing the instruments to be part of the Rover, for now...

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2020 - 07:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.