Phil Stooke
post Aug 6 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Explorer 1 said:

"A 2D map of C-G seems like a tough order; the projection math alone..."

Don't worry! If you can put a grid on the surface (as we have seen already), you can warp that grid into any map projection you like. Mapping will be no huge problem - in fact I expect they have a rough one already (I've been playing with one myself).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acastillo
post Aug 6 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6641

It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature (not sure if erosion is the right word), and maybe not the contact boundary between 2 separate bodies. At some point in the future, the neck will sublime away and the comet will split in two.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Aug 6 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 03:44 PM) *
It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature...

Gravity must be very low there, caught as it is between two lumps o' rock. A higher chance for material to be lost, maybe?

Andy

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 6 2014, 11:43 AM) *
A 2D map of C-G seems like a tough order; the projection math alone... wink.gif

Interesting though that a unique coordinate system (projection) is possible as seen in the rotating map. None of the overhangs appear to wrap back on themselves as seen from the central projection point. Thus a 2D map should be possible with access to the shape model (as Phil alluded to earlier).

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Aug 6 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 04:44 PM) *
It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature (not sure if erosion is the right word), and maybe not the contact boundary between 2 separate bodies. At some point in the future, the neck will sublime away and the comet will split in two.

I concur, not that we have a final word yet but I do tend to think the shape is from melting and erosion, rather than 2 objects that have merged since that is a less likely scenario.

@AndyG: Gravity is nearly negligible, gas pressure define this environment with sublimation and active geysers, though I wonder if the latter could create a static charge.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 6 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 6 2014, 06:06 PM) *
Interesting though that a unique coordinate system (projection) is possible as seen in the rotating map. ...

That's possible with any simply connected object (no "handle-shaped holes") in 3d via a homeomorphism (continuous map).
For objects with holes, like doughnuts different coordinate systems are needed. The shape of the nucleus is strange, but fortunately not that strange.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 6 2014, 04:52 PM) *
That's possible with any simply connected object (no "handle-shaped holes") in 3d via a homeomorphism (continuous map). ...

Sounds good, though it seems to me that C-G would be more straightforward than some other simply connected objects. A latitude/longitude with respect to C-Gs center of gravity appears to be possible as a "planetocentric" or "cometocentric" coordinate. It would be a simple tracing of rays emanating from the central point and then intersecting the surface. Each ray has just a single intersection with the surface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 6 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 6 2014, 07:02 PM) *
...Each ray has just a single intersection with the surface.

As long as there are no relevant overhangs (in the sense of the rays). I'm not quite sure whether this holds for the comet.
It could become a little more tricky.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 6 2014, 05:23 PM) *
As long as there are no relevant overhangs (in the sense of the rays). I'm not quite sure whether this holds for the comet.
It could become a little more tricky.

Good point. A closer look at the recent animation shows a few localized breaks in the grid lines. This correlates with some local topography that has addtional intersection points with the rays pointing at the center of gravity. Perhaps one would have to filter out these bumps in a shape model to come up with a reference shape that could be specified using a cometocentric coordinate. Then the actual surface can be compared with normals to this reference shape.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Aug 8 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7227

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 03:44 PM) *

Eyewitnessing it will be simply amazing.
On the opposite side, mapping an evolving body will be a pain!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Not a pain, it just means the cartographers have long-term employment!

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 8 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5221

Wouldn't the two lobes just gradually come back together together as the neck erodes, if their mass remains the same? Unless a decrease in radius forces C-G to rotate faster and faster (I guess we'll find out soon!)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #13

I think you're right, the lobes would collapse together as the neck was eroded.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Aug 8 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7185

I believe the centrifugal forces at the rotational rate of ~ 1 revolution per day are stronger than the combined gravitational attraction of the two lobes. If the neck breaks they would come apart, as I see it. Would be interesting to see calculations of the eventuality.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Rotation rate is 12.7 hours. The circumference drawn by the 4km length of the comet ( a 2km radius ) is 12.6 km

So very roughly - it's doing 1km/hr or 0.28m/sec. V^2/r is thus 0.000039 m/sec^2

Surface gravity is approximated as 10^-3 m/sec^2 3 orders of magnitude higher than the centripetal acceleration due to rotation.

Thus no - they would not fly apart. They would collapse together.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.