Reply to this topicStart new topic
Philae Lander FAQs and useful documents
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm collecting in this thread useful background resources to the Philae landing coming up on November 12. Please reply to this thread with any suggestions for additions that I should make to this list. Thanks to Doug for getting this list started.

Official sites for news/updates

Philae Overviews

Landing Timelines

How the landing works

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
katodomo
post Nov 4 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7261

DLR Virtual Control Room: Philae telemetry - temperatures and current readouts from twelve sensors on the lander. Updated not always quite live, but almost, from DLR MUSC's Lander Control Center. Also contains a timetable overview of the commissioning/pre-landing instrument tests at the bottom of page which have been useful in planning when to look for the more interesting updates on the Rosetta blog wink.gif

(existance of this originally only published throught DLR's DLR_next youth outreach site, hence why it went pretty unnoticed)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 5 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Thanks for that, katodomo! I've added it.

Also just added a bunch of Twitter handles to the list. There are a lot of Rosetta and Philae instruments with their own Twitter identities.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 7 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Also from Katodomo on a different thread (thanks!):

"24-hour live coverage from 1900 GMT on Nov 11 to 1900 GMT on Nov 12 planned, to be streamed over web and broadcast over Eutelsat. From three locations, ESOC Mission Control in Darmstadt, LCC (Lander Control Center) in Cologne and SONC in Toulouse. Highlights after each step will also be edited as downloadable content for other media to use.

Overview see http://www.esa.int/esatv/Television "

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 7 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 615

Another detailed timeline of landing events including DSN and ESA communication coverage. http://download.esa.int/esoc/shares/1/esa_...imeline_web.pdf

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 7 2014, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1102

The information posted here is great, but I'm not clear if the http://www.esa.int/esatv/Television link is the one that will actually carry live internet TV Nov 11-12 (like NASA TV), or just the program listing and where download videos after the fact? Sorry to be so dense. I just want to make sure I have the link for the web streaming site. Edit: Thanks Dan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan Delany
post Nov 8 2014, 05:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7141

It seems that this will be the link for the actual live web stream: http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 9 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 172

The landing sequence was updated today for your perusal : it integrates the latest modifications that were given to us by CNES for release.
Please note that the landing time may vary +/- 15 mn around the expected time and that the schedule of events also once on 67P, depends on many technical factors (state of the s/c at landing, state of batteries, etc, etc...)
Here is the link : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=34219
Enjoy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Harder
post Nov 11 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 434

On the word “useful” in the title of this thread:

Even before the Rosetta wake-up event I was already thinking: how can I make a useful contribution to UMSF given my close proximity to ESTEC, Darmstadt. Even CNES is within reach for me. Bear in mind, in those early day’s Emily did not even hint at attending the landing event.

I met Fred Jansen, Matt Taylor at a mini-symposium, contacted ESA PR and yes!!! – I’m going to attend tomorrow’s parallel media event at ESTEC.

In the meantime:
- ESA has expanded its public outreach way beyond my wildest expectations
- VikingMars is attending the landing event at the Cité des Sciences in Paris
- BBC, Nature, Spaceflightnow, and many, many more authorative news sources are providing near enough blanket-coverage
- the ESA livestream is starting up any minute from now
- and really, really useful: Emily is in Darmstadt the whole week!

So what is there left to do for me that is even remotely “useful” for fellow-UMSF members??
I guess tomorrow the usual outstanding signal-to-noise ratio will be temporary shifted towards noise. I for one hope to shout LANDING! In the meantime I’ll take a big bag of peanuts to the gathering at ESTEC to share with real journalists.

Go Philea!

+Quote Post
katodomo
post Nov 11 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7261

Above telemetry link has been modified to now display only current readouts, no longer temperatures; also diagram timelines there are now split into preparation, separation, descent, touchdown.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 11 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Harder @ Nov 11 2014, 08:01 PM) *
- VikingMars is attending the landing event at the Cité des Sciences in Paris

...not only attending, but also Co-Organizer of the event in Paris with CNES and ESA : the only other official one organized with Press and VIPs outside ESOC ar Darmstadt and it's great to know that you will be there ! Thanks a lot Harder for your nice support, much appreciated. It's already a great comfort for us knowing that you are a good relay to people about great projects such as the Philae landing on 67P smile.gif Here below are some pics of the rehearsal with CNES taken a few hours ago at Cite des Sciences in Paris : hope for the best tomorrow !
Attached Image
Attached Image

...and, on Nov. 12, minutes before the landing session starts at 15:00 CET, four members were there gathering as ambassadors of TPS/UMSF in Paris. From left to right : "Polaris", "Vikingmars", Jacques Blamont (Advisory Council of The Planetary Society) and "Climber". We were all proud being there ! We had also the President of the French Republic sitting at the front row in front of us. He told us that he had some fun looking at the "3D images" and "CIVA-P" presentations I made with "Malmer"... smile.gif
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Nov 12 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7227

Can't download it from here, I hope to be able before the landing!
Rosetta Lander Landing Gear Requirement Specification - ftp://ftp.estec.esa.nl/pub2/sci-spd/roset...irementSpec.doc (cached)

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Nov 12 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7227

THE ROSETTA LANDER ANCHORING SYSTEM
(Details of the harpoons, but not of the foot screws)

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 15 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

(MOD NOTE: Moved several posts, please only list links to useful documents or information in this thread.)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.