Deep Impact's Coverage
hal_9000
post Jul 1 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 358

I open this topic to the Monday event!
In SpaceflightNOW:

NASA's Deep Impact mission promises to create spectacular July Fourth fireworks in space when it shoots a 820-pound copper-tipped bullet into the frigid heart of Comet Tempel 1, creating a window to materials frozen in time since the solar system was born.

The washing machine-sized projectile will be released from its mothership spacecraft at 2:07 a.m. EDT (0607 GMT) Sunday for the day-long cruise to oblivion.

"We put the impactor in the comet's path so that the comet overtakes it. So it is like standing in the middle of the road with semi truck bearing down on you," said Rick Grammier, Deep Impact project manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The impactor and comet collide at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) Monday, releasing the energy equivalent of 4.5 tons of exploding TNT as they smash together at 23,000 mph. The intense forces vaporize the projectile as the circular crater -- perhaps 300 feet in diameter and 100 feet deep -- is rapidly excavated.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/deepimpact/status.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 1 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 114

I hope we get full mapping of the comet. At the very least rotation animations.

I was a bit disappointed with images taken by Stardust.

Can we expect Phoebe type coverage?

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jul 1 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Jul 1 2005, 01:15 AM)
I hope we get full mapping of the comet. At the very least rotation animations.
I was a bit disappointed with images taken by Stardust.
Can we expect Phoebe type coverage?

Deep Impact mothership's telescope has a problem also...
I hope we get good pictures after processing!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jul 1 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #4

Guests

We will definitely get MUCH, MUCH better photos of Tempel 1 from both of DI's cameras than have ever been obtained of a comet's surface -- including detailed full mapping during the nucleus' rotation during approach. The worry about the High Resolution Imager is that they wanted EXTREMELY high resolution shots of the crater produced by the Impactor, since one of DI's major goals is to examine the layering of a comet's surface and the thickness of its Sun-dehydrated rind -- and so even the possible drop in the resolution of DI's HRI photos of the crater from 1.4 meters/pixel at 700 km distance to maybe twice that is worrisome, since the crater (if we're unlucky) may be only a few dozen meters wide and only a small fraction of that deep. However, when it comes to photographing the comet itself, this resolution (and the 7 meters/pixel resolution of the MRI camera) will, as I say, be several quantum leaps beyond anything we've ever had before, even if the impact experiment itself fails completely.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jul 1 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #5

Guests

By the way, the next DI press conference will be on NASA TV tomorrow morning at 7 AM Eastern time. I missed the last one -- which has never been rerun, as far as I can tell -- and so I hope they get some serious questions about the likely quality of the deconvoluted HRI photos (and that the reporters refuse to take any evasive guff on the subject).

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 1 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Here is the schedule http://deepimpact.umd.edu/press/schedule.html

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 1 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Brilliant - todays the day they turned off most of the Analgoue NASA tv signal - so all the webfeeds are all glorious static

Doug

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 1 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #8

They should rename NASA TV to "ISS 24/7"

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 1 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Founder

Well - airtime is probably split dependant on where the funds go wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 1 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 1 2005, 06:47 AM)
Brilliant - todays the day they turned off most of the Analgoue NASA tv signal - so all the webfeeds are all glorious static
Doug

Yep -- my local cable system carries a NASA TV signal that originates from one of the local high schools. The high school brought in the signal for educational purposes and shared it with the cable company.

But today, the channel is blank. So, obviously, the high school couldn't afford the digital coverter.

So, I guess I'm SOL when it comes to further NASA TV coverage -- except on the web feeds, that is. sad.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 1 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Founder

Ahh - some of the feeds are coming back now - http://www.napacomfort.com/mars/nasa_feed.html

I wish Sky Digital would carry it in the UK - it's so frustrating to have 50+ channels which serve no purpose save that of showing what another channel was showing an hour ago, and no Nasa TV!!!

Anyhoo - those two hrs of press conferences are at about 6pm UK time, so I've got some fun viewing tonight smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 1 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #12

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (hal_9000 @ Jul 1 2005, 04:02 AM)
The impactor and comet collide at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) Monday,

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/deepimpact/status.html

Somehow it always seems the times of these events or the otpimum viewing locations are best suited for Africa or Eastern Europe, or some corner of Antarctica. This time however it's going to be 11:00 pm here in California (with clear skies in the off-chance there's something to see in my 4-inch off-the-shelf reflector). That will be just enough time to have a few drinks after putting the kids to bed.

I can't wait!

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jul 1 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 1 2005, 12:36 PM)
Somehow it always seems the times of these events or the otpimum viewing locations are best suited for Africa or Eastern Europe, or some corner of Antarctica.  This time however it's going to be 11:00 pm here in California (with clear skies in the off-chance there's something to see in my 4-inch off-the-shelf reflector).  That will be just enough time to have a few drinks after putting the kids to bed.

I can't wait!

Brazil also!!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jul 1 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 1 2005, 11:29 AM)
Yep -- my local cable system carries a NASA TV signal that originates from one of the local high schools.  The high school brought in the signal for educational purposes and shared it with the cable company.

But today, the channel is blank.  So, obviously, the high school couldn't afford the digital coverter.  (What with the Minnesota state government being shut down starting today due to lack of funding and a governor who will only consider cutting essential services as opposed to finding new revenues, I'm not surprised.)

So, I guess I'm SOL when it comes to further NASA TV coverage -- except on the web feeds, that is.  sad.gif

-the other Doug

I think there is one transponder in a satellite is broadcasting in analogic sign...

The New Digital NASA Television

As of 12:01 a.m. EDT July 1, 2005, digital NASA TV is available on AMC 6, Transponder 17C. Analog NASA TV is no longer available on satellite AMC 6, Transponder 9. Analog NASA TV will remain on AMC 7, Transponder 18C through NASA's Return to Flight mission.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jul 1 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #15

Guests

I'm still reviewing my recording of the press conference; but if I heard it right the first time, not one bloody comment was ever made about the HRI problem. Pfui.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.