Reply to this topicStart new topic
GRAIL: New DISCOVERY mission to the moon
ups
post Jan 11 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 138

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 11 2013, 02:33 AM) *
Final (or nearly final, not sure yet) video from GRAIL, three days before impact:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/index.php?id=1181

Phil

Is it too late to send a message to Grail telling it to turn it's phone horizontal?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 11 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #92

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The cameras were bolted to the spacecraft in that orientation probably about two years ago - and now lay smashed on the lunar surface.

I'm going to say yes...it's a bit too late.

+Quote Post
ups
post Jan 11 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 138

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 11 2013, 07:00 PM) *
The cameras were bolted to the spacecraft in that orientation probably about two years ago....

Yes, we know -- it was a joke.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 17 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #94

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's an updated version of my Nearside Moon map with the GRAIL impacts added.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 17 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #95

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Is this farside map of yours still current? Trying to make sure I have a matched set smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 17 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #96

Yes it is - no more farside impacts. Incidentally, Chandrayaan-1 was predicted to impact in 2012 as its orbit evolved, but as it was not tracked or trackable we don't know where it fell.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
rogelio
post Mar 19 2013, 10:47 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 619

LROC spots craters formed by GRAIL probes (sorry I couldn't find the original paper in the conference abstracts):

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/1...oon-probes?lite

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 19 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #98

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wow. LROC is an impressive instrument indeed, and their science team is getting very good at this sort of thing. Well done!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 20 2013, 03:42 AM
Post #99

There is no abstract, this was a press conference, not a paper. It's cool to see this even with LRO in its higher orbit.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 21 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 105

Better images and text at the NASA/LROC site:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news...il-results.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 3 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #101

How accurate were the pre-impact predictions?

Here is an overlay of the pre-impact prediction on the new topo map showing the actual impact crater locations. B was nearly 1000 m off its prediction, A only about 600 m. Not bad!

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Oct 6 2014, 07:55 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 6842

Attached Image

GRAIL's gravity map has revealed a "hidden valley system", acording to the BBC article and the paper published in Nature.

Scientists have identified a huge rectangular feature on the Moon that is buried just below the surface.

The 2,500km-wide structure is believed to be the remains of old rift valleys that later became filled with lava.

Centred on the Moon's Procellarum region, the feature is really only evident in gravity maps acquired by Nasa's Grail mission in 2012.

But knowing now of its existence, it is possible to trace the giant rectangle's subtle outline even in ordinary photos.

Mare Frigoris, for example, a long-recognised dark stripe on the lunar surface, is evidently an edge to the ancient rift system.

"It's really amazing how big this feature is," says Prof Jeffery Andrews-Hanna.

"It covers about 17% of the surface of the Moon. And if you think about that in terms relative to the size of the Earth, it covers an area equivalent to North America, Europe and Asia combined," the Colorado School of Mines scientist told BBC News.

"When we first saw it in the Grail data, we were struck by how big it was, how clear it was, but also by how unexpected it was.

"No-one ever thought you'd see a square or a rectangle on this scale on any planet."

What are your thoughts on the possible causes of its formation? The article mentions heating from radioactive decay, and subsequent cooling, but could this have been possibly caused by the giant impacts that created the maria on the near side?

[Edit] NASA article.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 6 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #103

The giant impacts did not create the maria. They created the big craters (basins) which contain some of the maria. The maria, the lava flows, are anywhere from 400 to 2000 million years later than the impacts, as shown by sample dating. Since GRAIL's linear features do not follow the pattern of big impact basins either concentrically or radially, they are most likely not related to the impacts.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.