Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn Cruise
machi
post Feb 16 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #271

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (antoniseb @ Feb 16 2011, 07:43 AM) *
Dawn is about 5 million kilometers away now. How close will it have to be before its highest magnification cameras will be able to get the best ever images (so far) of Vesta? I don't know much about the imaging systems on this craft.

I don't know exact resolution of HST or 8-10m class telescopes. My guess is about 50 km/pix. Framing Cameras onboard Dawn have resolution 1 km from distance 10 750 km. So Dawn must be more closely than ~500 000 km to Vesta.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Feb 16 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #272

Member No.: 557

As was discussed earlier on this thread, DAWN will begin to match the resolution of the best Hubble images around early June. The best from Hubble was from May of 1996, when approximately 35 km/pixel resolution on the .04 arcsec per pixel camera was achieved. You will have to get closer (as machi said) than about half a million km from Vesta to match this. The two identical framing cameras on DAWN only have about three times the resolution of normal human eyes.

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Feb 17 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #273

Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Feb 16 2011, 11:27 AM) *
... The two identical framing cameras on DAWN only have about three times the resolution of normal human eyes.

Alas, I've been spoiled by MRO's HiRES. I start now trying to regain realistic hopes for what Dawn will show.

+Quote Post
qraal
post Mar 7 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #274

Member No.: 679

Hurry up! (said like Blackboard from Mr. Squiggle... a uniquely Australian children's show)

Vesta will, no doubt, be a fascinating little world, but I'm hanging out for amazing scenes from Ceres. Both are rather odd, even so. Basalt! On an asteroid, no less.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Mar 7 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #275

Member No.: 557

A little bit of trivia to pass the time while we're waiting.

In the first week of December 2012, about five months after DAWN leaves Vesta, and around twenty-six months before it arrives at Ceres, while it is enroute from one to the other, Ceres and Vesta will be having their own close encounter with each other. At that time they will be 0.390 a.u. (58,300,000 km or 36,200,000 miles) apart. Ceres as seen from Vesta will be a 3.9 magnitude object in the constellation Ursa Major, and Vesta as seen from Ceres will be magnitude 4.2 (41 percent phase) in Piscis Austrinus.

Ceres, however, will not be in opposition to Vesta at that time. That will occur fully fifteen months later in March 2014, when they will be 0.401 a.u.apart.

The 2012 close approach will be the closest the two have been since November 1892, when they were separated by 0.373 a.u. They will not be this close again until November 2081, when they will pull within 0.284 a.u.

All this according to "Starry Night", anyway.

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Mar 21 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #276

Member No.: 1364

MPS press release.

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Mar 22 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 4473

At its current distance from Dawn, Vesta is only maybe about 3 pixels wide in the framing cameras, not much fun yet. At some point, there will be navigational benefit from the cameras, but I'm unsure when that starts.

It is indeed encouraging to see that the cameras are operational again after all this time in the cold irradiated vacuum of space. Congrats to the Dawn teams!

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Apr 2 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #278

Member No.: 590

New Dawn Journal: http://www.dawn-mission.org/mission/journal_03_31_11.asp

Apparently their big task for March was to calibrate the thusters. Since the thust is so gentle, they cannot measure it directly, so there's a trick to it.

--Greg

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 9 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #279

Member No.: 530

This is cute:

Clickable for info.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Apr 9 2011, 03:08 AM
Post #280

Member No.: 114

All I can find in terms of arrival is July 2011.

Is there a projected date plus or minus?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 9 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #281

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The date of "arrival" is still kind of up in the air, though I think it's unlikely to be more than a few days before or after July 16. It depends on a lot of factors -- thrusting time trades off with other useful activities on the spacecraft. They may know internally by now but haven't specified a date publicly. Anyway, Dawn doesn't so much arrive as it wanders into Vesta's neighborhood; pictures from orbit won't really look much different from pictures from approach until they start spiraling down.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Apr 9 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #282

Member No.: 590

Not final for a week or two, but the current plan looks something like this:

First optical images: May 3 (5 pixels wide, but up to 12 by end of month)

Arrival: July 17

Survey Orbit: August 8

--Greg

+Quote Post
bagelverse
post Apr 18 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #283

Member No.: 5509

Yeah, just in time for my birthday. rolleyes.gif

Full inline quote removed - ADMIN

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 3 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #284

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

New topic for the Vesta Approach phase of Dawn's mission here...

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 17 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #285

Member No.: 627

Dawn Operating Normally After Safe Mode Triggered 09/11/2014
http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/dawn/operating-nor...mode-triggered/

Engineers immediately began working to restore the spacecraft to its normal operational state. The team determined the source of the problems, corrected them, and then resumed normal ion thrusting on Monday night, Sept. 15.

As a result of the change in the thrust plan, Dawn will enter into orbit around dwarf planet Ceres in April 2015, about a month later than previously planned. The plans for exploring Ceres once the spacecraft is in orbit, however, are not affected.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.