Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grand Finale part 1, F ring orbits
nprev
post Mar 9 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #46

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Astonishing. Looks like a cutaway view of a nut covered in chocolate. Accreted ring material around the equator, I presume.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 9 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #47

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Fantastic images... and one little correction. As you say, Ian, north is to the upper right in the first view you posted, so the partially illuminated bulge at lower left is the southern hemisphere. The other views show the northern hemisphere, not the southern. Pan has the same seasons as Saturn, and now the north is more fully illuminated.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Mar 9 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 7310

Lots of cracks or faults, is it experiencing a lot of stress?

On another note, it looks as if the bulge might not be much less cratered than the main body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Mar 9 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 3995

It looks like a miniature version of Saturn.... or a pork tenderloin sandwich.

+Quote Post
moustifouette
post Mar 9 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 7773

amazing! Rings must be quiet thin (tens of meters) and with a stable vertical position relative to Pan.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 9 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 152

blink.gif
Stereo views, 2x zoom from the original, minor alignment and stretch/gamma. Anaglyph:
Attached Image

And cross-eyed:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 9 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 5221

Crisscrossing fractures like Miranda, and visible craters on the ridge (so it's not just puffy dust), and 'sharp' corners to it. What a bizarre place nature has come up with! It looks ridiculous, but I love it!

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Mar 9 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 4270

Could some of these "fractures" be caused by a layer of surface regolith being pushed across a more solid core by the weight of parts of the equatorial bulge? Also, it looks like the bulge is thicker in some places than others -- could this be evidence of a reorientation of the moon in the past? Or are local surface gravity variations a more plausible explanation?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 9 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 542

It looks to me like the ridge is emplaced as a fairly steep-sided feature which suffers occasional slumps. Even in its fresh state it is unlikely to be as narrow at its base as at the rim.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Mar 10 2017, 01:13 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 4489

slumps ? i do not know

the ridge dose look to be extruded -- think of a "Cream Puff" with the top and bottom smooshed together

but with gravity pulling the "cream" out

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 10 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 321

This reminds me of something I've seen in New England, on occasions when it snows very heavily with almost no wind. Snow can pile up on thin solid bodies, like signs, twigs, and power lines, in thin, tall stacks, almost like a playing card standing on its edge. What's remarkable here is how absolutely close to zero the lateral forces must be. That also implies that the primary component of velocity is also quite modest.

It's useful to keep in mind that electric fields may play a role here, too. For most solar system objects, gravity and Newton's laws are the only factors worth considering, but with tiny particles, electric fields can have an important effect. There's some literature on electric fields and Saturn's rings, and these closeups of Pan are likely to stimulate more.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 10 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (ngunn @ Mar 9 2017, 06:42 PM) *
It looks to me like the ridge is emplaced as a fairly steep-sided feature which suffers occasional slumps. Even in its fresh state it is unlikely to be as narrow at its base as at the rim.

My bet would be those slopes are pretty much at the angle of repose. (If I recall correctly, these looking like big cliffs is exactly akin to Verona Rupes on Miranda)

Pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Mar 10 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #58

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 9 2017, 02:08 PM) *
As you say, Ian, north is to the upper right in the first view you posted, so the partially illuminated bulge at lower left is the southern hemisphere. The other views show the northern hemisphere, not the southern. Pan has the same seasons as Saturn, and now the north is more fully illuminated.

Thanks for the correction, Phil — I've gone back and corrected my posts with the correct info. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Mar 11 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 1241

Pan is very fractured and is probably tidally locked to Saturn?
The main body appears to be 'basically' round?
The accretions of the fine 'dust apron' seem to be made from electrostatics and serendipity at Pan's 'equator' relative to the Enke Division?
The first image is the clearest and deconvoluted.
Attached Image

The second is annotated, I propose what it shows is that a 'fractured plate' (in red) slide out of place and caused a bulge in the dust apron at the right and caused dust to slide to create the bulge to the left? (or the asymmetrically fracture was there for quite some time and caused the bulges)
Attached Image

It would be great if we could get an image with the sun angle reversed to see the cracks on the edge of the alleged 'plate slide'.

as always, your mileage may vary. wink.gif

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 11 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 655

Fascinating little moon, and congratulations to the Cassini team for spot-on pointing sequences.

Hopefully the encounter with Atlas early next month will be equally well-targeted (it's a closer flyby) and some direct comparisons can be made.

It's great to get these images of Pan, as it was the last body larger than ~2km in diameter inside of Iapetus' orbit that we didn't previously have good views of.

Great processing of the raws everyone btw.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.