IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Launch pad descriptions
paranoid123
post Dec 14 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1305

Does anyone have a link or document that describes launch pad structures? I'm interested and curious about the launch gantry structure, what structures holds up the rocket, and where does the spent exhaust goes during launch.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jim from NSF.com
post Dec 15 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 734

QUOTE (paranoid123 @ Dec 14 2006, 01:10 AM) *
Does anyone have a link or document that describes launch pad structures? I'm interested and curious about the launch gantry structure, what structures holds up the rocket, and where does the spent exhaust goes during launch.

Thank you.

Actually, nothing holds up a rocket. They are all basically self supporting (not going to go into heritage Atlas here). Some even have to be held down during ignition (Atlas, Delta IV and STS). Titan-IV and Delta II are free standing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- paranoid123   Launch pad descriptions   Dec 14 2006, 06:10 AM
- - jamescanvin   I suspect the place to ask this would be at nasasp...   Dec 14 2006, 08:41 PM
- - GregM   .   Dec 15 2006, 04:31 AM
- - Jim from NSF.com   QUOTE (paranoid123 @ Dec 14 2006, 01:10 A...   Dec 15 2006, 02:57 PM
- - dvandorn   The only exception that I am aware of in terms of ...   Dec 15 2006, 05:28 PM
- - MarkG   'Umbilical Systems: V-2 to Saturn V' might...   Jan 7 2007, 11:43 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.