Reply to this topicStart new topic
re. 3D glasses
Stu
post Nov 3 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

If anyone out there - I'm thinking UK forum members - still hasn't got any red/blue 3D glasses to use for viewing the gorgeous anaglyphs many UMSF members are now posting, here's an idea.

If you have a decent-sized newsagent near you, you can get a pair of pretty good quality plastic-framed 3D glasses with this week's issue of the kids magazine "Dr Who Adventures". Because they're plastic-framed they're much more rigid than the usual cardboard ones you often find in magazines, and they're good quality, too. I know, I know, it's a kids magazine, but you can always pass on the mag itself to a friend or neighbour's kid if you don't want it. (You might want to keep hold of the centrespread 3D "Silence" poster tho, it's great - er, I mean, the depth of field is a great illustration of 3D imagery... Think I got away with that... cool.gif )

Alternative sources of glasses: try your local discount bookstore, there's bound to be at least one 3D book of bugs/dinosaurs/whatever with a free pair of glasses inside, And, of course, as others have said, if you're a US Forum member you can probably get some free 3D glasses just by writing nicely to your local NASA centre.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helvick
post Nov 3 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

So I can finally retire the Spy Kids 3D glasses I've been using for the last 8 years. smile.gif

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Nov 5 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 628

I still use the cardboard glasses, but in addition to the problems related to flimsy structure, I prefer to wear them in combination with my regular prescription lenses. This creates additional problems. When viewing this site, the anaglyphs appear at randomly space intervals, and require constant re-arranging of the facewear.

Some years ago I tried to order a pair of prescription sunglasses made with the red/cyan lenses, and the personnel in the optometrist shop looked at me like they were considering whether to call the police or the mental health authorities. My latest idea is to buy a set of baseball clip-ons and replace the lens pieces with appropriately colored panes of plastic. Usually the lenses are attached with little screws, and it should not be too hard to do the job myself if I can secure the colored plastic. Does anyone have any suggestions though, what sort of product, hobby or industry uses colored plastic of a type that would be suitable for this use? I suppose I have occasionally come across pieces that could be used, but as commonly happens, when I am actively looking for something I haven't a clue where to find it.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 5 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 530

Search "color filter set" on Google Shopping. I thought microscopy at first, but the affordable ones may actually be for telescopes.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 5 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Or, you could just search "clip-on anaglyph glasses" on Google. They're in stock on Amazon. I use mine all the time.

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Nov 5 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 4 2011, 10:27 PM) *
just search "clip-on anaglyph glasses" on Google. They're in stock on Amazon.

Yes, I agree. I bought a pair just 3 months ago.
LINK
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_2htsk4yeuh_b

EDIT: I just noticed that there are some complaints about the clip not being large enough for some glasses. While I think frames would have to be extremely thick before you would have any problem, it is true that that I am thin and the clip just barely clears the upper part of my nose rest (flanges). If the TOP of your nose rest flanges are noticeably wider than 3/4 of an inch, these regular size clip-on 3D glasses may not fit.

You might want to get these Over-size Clip-on Anaglyph 3D Glasses.
LINK
http://www.amazon.com/Over-size-Clip-on-An...982&sr=8-12

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Nov 6 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 628

Oh, very nice guys. That's just what I'm looking for. Probably made here in Taiwan too, or more likely China. Just on general principles I should try to contact the factory and cut out Amazon and UPS.

On second thought, the maker probably won't want to talk to me unless I express an interest in purchasing ten thousand pairs. I'll at least ask at the planetarium gift shop before I order.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.