Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam projection code aimed at mosaicing
ramana
post Dec 15 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9121

Hello!
I wanted to share a code that I've been working on to project and mosaic JunoCam images. The code is written in Python and uses the SPICE library: https://github.com/ramanakumars/JunoCamProjection. I thought people in this forum might be interested in using it or comparing with existing pipelines. The goal of this code is to generate mosaics by stacking multiple images for a given perijove pass with little manual labor. An example of both the projection and the mosaicing process is in the examples folder. Here is an example of a mosaic from PJ27 data:

Ramana
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Dec 16 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4972

That is not bad! Though the color is a little too heavy on the blue, I am not sure if it is the program or the raw images causing that.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 16 2021, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (ramana @ Dec 15 2021, 12:08 PM) *
I wanted to share a code that I've been working on to project and mosaic JunoCam images.

Very nice, the code is very clean and readable.

Seems like you have a lot of blending artifacts in the mosaic, only to be expected. I haven't really examined your blending method in detail, it's working really well to hide gross seams but there's feature doubling, I think, at small scales. This is a tough problem and I'm not sure what the best way to do it is that isn't very labor-intensive.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ramana
post Dec 16 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #4

Thank you!!

Though the color is a little too heavy on the blue, I am not sure if it is the program or the raw images causing that.

Yeah, that is an artifact of the color correction and histogram equalization. The code outputs a "raw" mosaic which goes through a color correction function. I think it should be possible to get better representations by post-processing the raw image directly rather than getting the output from the color correction step. I use the color correction function to de-haze the mosaic since I'm interested in uniform image representations across multiple perijoves, so my use case tends to be less aesthetic.

Seems like you have a lot of blending artifacts in the mosaic, only to be expected.

Yes, and it's much more noticeable near the poles. I've been trying to figure out a way out of this. I fixed a lot of the artifacts a while ago by doing jitter correction (by fitting the limb of Jupiter in each image to find the start time offset). That might not be accurate enough for polar latitudes. I also think it's due to the changing resolution with latitude... I don't have a clear fix for that right now, except for doing lower resolution reconstruction.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 16 2021, 11:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (ramana @ Dec 16 2021, 12:06 PM) *
I fixed a lot of the artifacts a while ago by doing jitter correction (by fitting the limb of Jupiter in each image to find the start time offset). That might not be accurate enough for polar latitudes. I also think it's due to the changing resolution with latitude... I don't have a clear fix for that right now, except for doing lower resolution reconstruction.

It's always tough to debug these sorts of things. You might compare what your code produces for a single framelet against what ISIS produces, if you can make the investment in time to install and understand ISIS. I would expect that if you are using reconstructed SPKs and all the correct up-to-date kernel files (spacecraft clock and leapsecond are very important for C kernel use), the residual errors would be maybe 2-3 pixels?

As far as I could tell in a quick skim, you weren't applying the 61.88 msec start time bias described in https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/JUNO/ker..._junocam_v03.ti but your limb offset should fix that if it's done correctly.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 17 2021, 12:34 AM
Post #6

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

At least in my experience, 2-3 pixels is typical for residual errors.

This looks very promising. Do I understand correctly from the code/examples that in the PJ27 mosaic above you are using FFT to do the illumination correction?

+Quote Post
ramana
post Dec 17 2021, 01:32 AM
Post #7

You might compare what your code produces for a single framelet against what ISIS produces

That's a good point! I have worked with the ISIS package (and pysis) before but dropped it because it got a little cumbersome to update kernels. I'll check out what the differences are.

As far as I could tell in a quick skim, you weren't applying the 61.88 msec start time bias

I add this when calculating the spacecraft ET for each framelet. Here, for example: https://github.com/ramanakumars/JunoCamProj...ojector.py#L254. The time_bias is 61.88ms pulled from the SPICE kernel pool.

At least in my experience, 2-3 pixels is typical for residual errors.

This is in the original framelet projection, right? Is this with jitter correction?

Do I understand correctly from the code/examples that in the PJ27 mosaic above you are using FFT to do the illumination correction?

Yup, that's correct.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.