IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev 126 - Feb 4-22, 2010 - Mimas (main target), Tethys, Iapetus, Calypso and mutual events too
Juramike
post Feb 28 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #121

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (scalbers @ Feb 28 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Interesting Paul to see this blue band on both Mimas and Tethys. I also notice they both show a brownish color on their trailing hemispheres.

What is the blue color from? I seem to recall reading somewhere that energetic particles could create and trap oxygen radicals in water ices.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 28 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #122

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 24 2010, 06:26 AM) *
I'd like to suggest possibly using images from the 28 June 2007 pass for detail west of Herschel and the transition to the coverage from August 2005. The fine fractures and/or crater chains show up much better, and it seems to beat the resolution of the partial Voyager coverage. I'm reposting Gordan's excellent color version for reference.

Greetings Exploit, Good eyes - that's a great idea about using the June 28, 2007 data. ugordan's image works nicely for this. Below is how the map looks with this image included. The overall brightness is turned up now so less detail gets lost in the shadows.

Attached Image

Just for fun I'll point out the new image is *east* of Herschel. Remember that movie, Krakatoa, East of Java?

That's the latest,

Steve

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 1 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #123

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Can someone create a comparison of Mimas and Tethys with the same size scale for both? Would be funny to see the big and baby death star at the same time.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Mar 1 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 1102

See post 96 in this thread cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 1 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #125

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Floyd,
I was hoping for a montage with the same scale used for both pictures.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Mar 2 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #126

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

QUOTE (scalbers @ Feb 28 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Greetings Exploit, Good eyes - that's a great idea about using the June 28, 2007 data. ugordan's image works nicely for this. Below is how the map looks with this image included. The overall brightness is turned up now so less detail gets lost in the shadows.

Just for fun I'll point out the new image is *east* of Herschel. Remember that movie, Krakatoa, East of Java?

Facepalm. Your OTHER west. The map looks great, much smoother! Thanks for considering my suggestion. I haven't seen the movie, but I see Maximillian Schnell from "The Black Hole" is in it. There is no east or west beyond the singularity, is there?

Bjorn: I can't use the adjectives I want to here to compliment that animation. Hendric: If no one beats me to it, I have a very large scale-comparison series in the works. Just waiting for Helene.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 2 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 132

Based on the dimensions in this chart, I reduced the image of Mimas to about 38.5% of its original size to get this approximation of relative sizes.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Mar 2 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 1828

I thought Id throw in my Herschel rendering, even tho it is based only on 4 year old lower resolution data (I am expressly forbidden from using any data less than one year old). I also include a view of cratered highlands. These views do not include the curvature of the sphere, which would be rather pronounced of course!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Mar 4 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 4 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #130

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

These seem to be more related to the gravity fields of these little moons, i.e. the grooves suggest movement of loose material toward areas closer to the center of Calypso (or Helene or Telesto).

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 29 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 523

http://www.ciclops.org/view_event/132/Clos..._Cratered_Mimas

Cassini's recent and closest flyby of Saturn's moon Mimas generated views of this "Death Star" moon in unprecedented detail and a new temperature map of its surface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 29 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 5221

That temperature map is just mystifying. Is it only coincidence that Herschel is right in the middle of the cold spot? Or might it be the cause?
Reminds me of Pac-Man eating a power up!
tongue.gif

Wonderful images anyway!

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Mar 29 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 29 2010, 01:44 PM) *
That temperature map is just mystifying. Is it only coincidence that Herschel is right in the middle of the cold spot? Or might it be the cause?
Reminds me of Pac-Man eating a power up!
tongue.gif

Wonderful images anyway!

Yes it is very interesting! It is also almost exactly coincident with the blue equatorial band we showed in our Maps of Mimas
in October. We have a good idea about the cause of it but I cant say anything until our paper we submitted to Icarus last
month passed peer review. anyone who knows me knows i hate being coy but Im afraid we have to wait just alittle bit longer
before going public. lets just say its "electrifying" . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Mar 29 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 627

Ain't no such thing as a boring world (worldlet, moon, planet, dwarf planet, etc)

Craig

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 29 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (DrShank @ Mar 29 2010, 02:28 PM) *
lets just say its "electrifying" . . .

Is that a hint? wink.gif
Looking forward to no matter what!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.