IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Communications Strategies, How can the Deep-Space Network be improved on?
Greg Hullender
post Dec 20 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

Given the recent news that Cassini will lose some data during the Phoenix landing due to contention for DNS access:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=4831&hl=

It seemed reasonable to create a topic to discuss where the DNS might be going.

Jasedm suggested a relay station at the Earth-Sun L2 point, which I think might be discussing (despite the expense) assuming the relay station could use laser communication with space probes, while beaming data to Earth via microwaves.

I know that experiments with laser communications were part of the now-abandoned Mars Telecommunications Orbiter, and I know that there was even a recent laser experiment involving Mercury Messenger.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060104_laser_comm.html

These seem intended to support laser communications with ground-based receivers, though -- something that seems much too risky if remote space probes can't store days of data allowing for multiple retries.

Obviously a relay station would have its own risks -- you'd probably need two for redundancy -- and it'd be fabulously expensive, but it might also include quite a few savings as well. I've looked for figures for what the DSN costs to run, but I haven't found them yet. Not sure how large a part of a given mission (if any) is charged to the DSN, but it seems to me that a relay satellite ought to be a good bit cheaper to operate, and for far higher bandwidth.

Also, a laser transmitter ought to be lighter and consume less power than an equivalent microwave transmitter. That alone could result in huge savings for outer-system missions.

The only time I saw a serious proposal for a laser-to-satellite communications system was in a description of options for the "Grand Tour" that later became Voyager. (Assuming that counts as serious.) :-) With DSN needing more and more maintenance, I wonder if anyone is seriously considering laser for the future.

--Greg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jasedm
post Jan 7 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Maybe a brief cloudburst over Madrid will be the least of our problems in the future. Having done a brief search, it appears that Earth-Sun L2 will get a tad busy in the coming years with the following planned missions to orbit there:

James Webb Space telescope
Terrestrial planet finder (may include multiple mirrors in close formation)
Darwin spacecraft (four or five separate free-flying components)
Gaia probe
Herschel space observatory
Planck surveyor

The WMA probe is already there observing cosmic background radiation, and probably many more missions wishing to take advantage of the small amounts of station-keeping propellant required, are in various stages of planning.
I'm not sure of the extent of the stable area available at L2, but it's going to get quite crowded (we may also find a few small but hazardous rocks there as well as the dust we know about)

Sooner or later I'm sure there will be some sort of solar-powered data relay at L2, especially as it could be maintained and upgraded by manned missions to mars which may use L2 rather than the moon, as a staging-point.

I think eventually the sheer number of demands on the DSN will make the space relay inevitable. Hopefully someone connected with the network reads UMSF and can enlighten us....

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 7 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jasedm @ Jan 7 2008, 07:00 PM) *
maintained and upgraded

That would include the replenishment of cryogenics to keep the receivers cool, the replacement of gyros (would gyros even work for a large dish?) and replenishment of thruster fuel to keep the think pointed.

It would cost an utter fortune, a fortune that would be much much better spent on array like DSN facilities on Earth, and upgrades to spacecraft that, with technology that is on the bench ready to go, take Mars-to-Earth comms up by two orders of magnitude over and above MRO.

Doug

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Greg Hullender   Communications Strategies   Dec 20 2007, 07:04 PM
- - nprev   I proposed relay sats at the Earth-Sun L2 & L4...   Dec 20 2007, 07:29 PM
|- - Jim from NSF.com   QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 20 2007, 02:29 PM) I p...   Jan 8 2008, 04:29 AM
- - Greg Hullender   Why would you have inverse exponential losses? On...   Dec 21 2007, 12:28 AM
- - nprev   IIRC, most of the losses occurred as a result of b...   Dec 21 2007, 01:29 AM
- - tasp   Additional ground stations at, let's say, Samo...   Dec 21 2007, 04:32 AM
- - jasedm   Maybe a brief cloudburst over Madrid will be the l...   Jan 7 2008, 07:00 PM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (jasedm @ Jan 7 2008, 07:00 PM) mai...   Jan 7 2008, 10:05 PM
|- - nprev   QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 7 2008, 02:05 PM) ...   Jan 8 2008, 03:17 AM
- - elakdawalla   Space relays aren't the next step; large array...   Jan 7 2008, 07:14 PM
- - Greg Hullender   Need maintenance be such a problem? Commerical co...   Jan 8 2008, 04:45 AM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jan 8 2008, 04:45...   Jan 8 2008, 08:23 AM
- - cndwrld   If money was no object, the best thing would be to...   Jan 8 2008, 07:44 AM
- - edstrick   "...In my experience, we don't need new s...   Jan 8 2008, 09:41 AM
|- - jasedm   QUOTE (edstrick @ Jan 8 2008, 09:41 AM) ...   Jan 15 2008, 07:08 PM
- - Doc   I believe that in the end the simplest thing to do...   Jan 8 2008, 10:42 AM
- - edstrick   My crusting over memory cells fail me at the momen...   Jan 16 2008, 09:07 AM
- - nprev   Probably the only argument that really has a chanc...   Jan 17 2008, 01:09 AM
- - helvick   I've wondered before if the technologies and t...   Jan 17 2008, 09:23 AM
|- - mcaplinger   QUOTE (helvick @ Jan 17 2008, 01:23 AM) I...   Jan 18 2008, 06:34 AM
- - Greg Hullender   I'm still thinking we just want to lobby for a...   Jan 17 2008, 02:33 PM
- - djellison   A reception facility for optical comms isn't a...   Jan 17 2008, 02:43 PM
- - Greg Hullender   Didn't mean to trivialize the problem. Obviou...   Jan 17 2008, 05:48 PM
- - dvandorn   I still have this image in my head of an antenna f...   Jan 18 2008, 05:56 AM
- - edstrick   "...still have this image in my head of an an...   Jan 18 2008, 08:20 AM
|- - helvick   QUOTE (edstrick @ Jan 18 2008, 08:20 AM) ...   Jan 18 2008, 09:05 AM
- - edstrick   Exactly. And 34 of those -- with sufficient smart...   Jan 18 2008, 09:11 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.