Reply to this topicStart new topic
Endeavour Crater, And again shall we conquer the Remoteness
ustrax
post Sep 29 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #1

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

Opportunity is getting ready to embark on her most extraordinary journey, a true rover epic.
As information regarding how to win the distance are being collected here, and the emotional last views from Victoria Crater are being discussed here, I thought about creating a new thread that will surely become an obligatory stop as the tall peaks and other features of Endeavour start to rise in the horizon.
Here we will be able to discuss the location of features seen from the distance, references that will help us understanding better what we are seing and that will, fortunately, feed our spirit across the long sail across the Meridiani sandwaves.

Ultreya! smile.gif

I give it a kick with this navcam image, comparing it with Astro0's original (beautiful...) image:
Attached Image

I'm sure James Canvin will correct me... rolleyes.gif

EDITED: I can't resist...I tried! I honestly tried, but it is stronger than me...so many features ahead and not a single name?! tongue.gif
Seriously, at Victoria we had features named after places visited by the vessel, and now for Endeavour? Assuming that Oppy will succeed on her quest will the mission keep the same policy, of naming places after Endeavour's tour? If so, there may be some names in common with Victoria... unsure.gif
While we are ready to leave the port once more I remembered that we could start naming, internally, (in order to have catchier landmark references... rolleyes.gif ) these features, as they loom in the horizon, after the ship's crew.
We could follow the order presented here.
Let me just edit the image up there... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 29 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 29 2008, 04:13 PM) *
I'm sure James Canvin will correct me... rolleyes.gif´

smile.gif

It's been a long time - I may have to recheck it sometime, but last time I did this (over two years ago!) I reckoned that "Cook" was the hill further to the right of where you place it. (EDIT: now as I had it in the updated version)

Great names, great thread. This is going to be fun. wheel.gif smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 29 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 103

Looking back at this thread from two years ago, I see this wonderful quote about the Big Crater from Our Fearless Leader:

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 21 2006, 07:58 AM) *
For the love of god don't let a rover driver see this or we'll be attempting to jump Victoria in the rush to get there smile.gif

Doug

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 29 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 29 2008, 06:05 PM) *
Great names, great thread. This is going to be fun. wheel.gif smile.gif
James

I second this!
Rui, I was badly waiting for this trait coming from YOU and here it is! smile.gif
It reminds so many memories,
it opens so many possibilities.

This is definitively going to be fun

--------------------

+Quote Post
charborob
post Sep 29 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3908

We should be on the lookout also for the ridge on the West side of Endeavour. It is about half the distance of Victoria to "Cook", and seems to be quite high.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 29 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Special Cookie

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 29 2008, 05:05 PM) *
This is going to be fun. wheel.gif smile.gif

Oh yes it will...and (why wasn't I surprised?...) you have come to the rescue once more! smile.gif
I've corrected the image in the first post, don't want to start with the left foot...

charborob, there was a feature to the right of Cook appearing in previous images and I believe James pointed its location...I'll check it.

climber...we meet again! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 29 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 29 2008, 04:13 PM) *
I give it a kick with this navcam image

Thanks for pointing out we can see Endeavour in that image, ustrax! Gosh, what an image that is. First Sputnik crater in the foreground, only 7 metres or so across. Then the gaping aperture of our old friend Victoria, at 700 or so metres across. Finally, far away in the distance, the peaks of the rim of great Endeavour, our next destination, some 22 km across! Here's an anaglyph of that view:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 29 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Anyone remember those 'Inverse polar' images I did to match up the far rim of Victoria with the HiRISE images when we arrived?

Well I thought is was about time to dust off that technique.

Attached Image

Each column of the image represents one line of sight from Duck Bay across the THEMIS images - each being 0.044 degrees apart (the same as the navcam resolution) the left edge is at 45 degrees (North-East) and the right edge at 180 degrees (South)

At the top is a crop and 5x Phil-o-vision of the image Ustrax posted, According to the tracking site the centre of that image is at 108 degrees so that is where I've placed it - no fudging to make it line up required!

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 29 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #9

Special Cookie

James...
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I like that...a lot!
It looks like I'll have to edit my file again, Hicks should be where Gore is and Gore is the solitary elevation to NE.
I'm sure other views will appear in the following days... smile.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Sep 29 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 29 2008, 01:17 PM) *
Thanks for pointing out we can see Endeavour in that image, ustrax! Gosh, what an image that is. First Sputnik crater in the foreground, only 7 metres or so across. Then the gaping aperture of our old friend Victoria, at 700 or so metres across. Finally, far away in the distance, the peaks of the rim of great Endeavour, our next destination, some 22 km across!

And Explorer / Sofi on the far rim -- four craters martian craters in one image. That has got to be a record of some sort! rolleyes.gif

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 29 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #11

So James Cook (biggrin.gif) isn't Rui's Cook, correct ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 29 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #12

I'm pretty sure I already said that somewhere but anyway.
I used to go to New Zealand for quite some years and always had to go to Gisborne ... which is the very place where James Cook first landed in Aotea Roa (Maori's name for New Zealand which means "the Land of the long white clouds"). So let's a feature already visible be called Young Nick's head: http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/Y/YoungNicks...ungNicksHead/en
After New Zealand I had to go to Kauaii Island and had to go to Waimea ...which is the very place where James Cook landed in Hawaii islands.
So, Endeavour means something very special to me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Sep 29 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 618

Is it possible that the correct term was not "Young Nick's Head", but rather "Young Nick's Headache" after he drank his "gallon of rum"? cool.gif
On a more serious note, Hawaii, was also the termination point of Cook's final voyage, when he got into a disagreement with some of the locals on the Big Island. A stone monument marks the spot on the coast where "Old James' Head" rolled in this initial setback to British diplomacy. Happily, greater successes did follow, as reflected in the Union Jack that still graces one corner of the Hawaiian state flag. The other former colonies of the U.S.A. were not so cordial to British emblems.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 29 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 29 2008, 07:48 PM) *
It looks like I'll have to edit my file again, Hicks should be where Gore is and Gore is the solitary elevation to NE.

Maybe, but I'm not sure quite how accurate the image will be. There are multiple THEMIS images which don't line up perfectly which will cause an error and I haven't reprojected the navcam image so that will be slightly off. I wouldn't rule out your original guess yet.

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 29 2008, 08:53 PM) *
So James Cook (biggrin.gif) isn't Rui's Cook, correct ?

Yes Rui's modified Cook is right, that I am sure of. This analysis points to that hill, as does the different method I used on different images two years ago. To be clear my objection in post 2 was to Rui's original image which he subsequently updated.

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Sep 29 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #15

Guests

Does anyone have any idea how deep Endeavour Crater is compared to Victoria???

Is it lower in elevation or downhill compared to where we are at now?

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.