IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
UnmannedSpaceflight.com and The Planetary Society, "A match made in the heavens"
elakdawalla
post Oct 5 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I, along with the rest of the admin team here at UnmannedSpaceflight.com have a big announcment to make today: The Planetary Society and UnmannedSpaceflight.com are joining forces. Here's the Society's press release about it. I'm so excited! You guys with your fantastic work processing space images are exactly the kind of people we seek to connect with, inspire, educate, and in turn, see you educating everyone around you about what's going on in the exploration of our solar system.

Some of you may be a little concerned about this new partnership -- you may be thinking that the Planetary Society will try to change the way the forum is run. Let me assure you that that will not happen. My bosses at the Society recognize that the reason this place is so great is that it is a community that has grown around itself, developed its own rules, and is functioning very well on its own terms. The administrative policies will not change. All that is changing is that the Society is agreeing to be responsible for the financial maintenance of the website; and that when you make donations to support this site, your donations are tax-deductible (at least in the U.S).

If you have any questions or concerns about this new collaboration, please do not hesitate to ask me or any other member of the admin/mod team.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 5 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Hooray!

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 5 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 530

Nice! Not at all concerned about the site content and moderation. Happy to have it under some auspices of the Planetary Society.

My only really minor concern is some consideration about hosting this forum with little downtime. I seem to recall planetary.org having some issues in the past, but I have no idea of why-- whether it was a 3rd party hosting issue, or whether it was internal DIY gone awry. But umsf has long been very well admin'ed from a technical standpoint, and I'd love to see that continue.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Oct 5 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1700

yay! smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 5 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Administrator

That's a good question. UMSF will stay on its current dedicated server. It's had such a good uptime record, maybe we should move the Society's homepage to the same server smile.gif

(Society's downtime is almost always related to enormous mission events, where servers suddenly get hammered. We're supposed to be robust to those things but the web service providers can't always tell the difference between a really really big mission event that triggers lots of page views of one image, and a DOS attack.)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Oct 5 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 655

So, business as usual, but TPS picks up the tab? Am I reading that right?

I like the idea that some of the very hard work put in by the likes of Bjorn, Machi, Exploitcorporations, Ian R et al gain a wider audience - richly deserved I think.

Jase

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 5 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Well, sort of. Remember that the Society is an organization whose funds come from dues and donations. USMF has, in the past, been funded by its members (it isn't really very expensive -- the main expense is the huge amount of time donated by the all-volunteer admin team). That won't change -- it's just that instead of sending a Paypal donation to some random British guy (hi Doug!), it's now being done through a nonprofit with all the i's dotted and T's crossed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 6 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Great, and I might say rather unexpected, news! smile.gif Makes all kinds of sense on lots of levels...good thinking!!!

Emily, let me get this straight, though: Should we donate to UMSF as before, or will there be a dedicated UMSF donation method offered via TPS, or will TPS fund UMSF so that donations to the former are used (in part) to fund the latter?

Just want to get it all right.

Also, do you happen to know if TPS is on the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) this year? I looked for it in the pamphlet but didn't see it; entered the code from last year anyhow, hoping for the best...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 6 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 197

Give us another day Nick to get the donation buttons at the bottom sorted out.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Oct 6 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 6 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Great, and I might say rather unexpected, news! smile.gif

I anticipated it. So many references to UMSF.com in Emily's blog, so many member produced images on the Planetary Society website, so much cross-fertilization... it was only a matter of time. May this be a long and fruitful partnership! smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #11

Administrator

Nick: I've sent an email to ask about the CFC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 6 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Cool; thanks, Emily. Dan (and I suspect Astro0), I see that the banner has already been revised...quick work, looks nice! biggrin.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 6 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We must have been talking about this for 8 or 9 months, but I'm very very glad we're finally able to make it official. Thanks to all the admins and mods for being the sage sounding board they always are. Ever since I discovered I would be working at JPL - I wanted to hand the forum over to a safe pair of hands, and there are none safer than Emily's.

The combination of www.AmateurSpaceImages.com and UMSF coming under the TPS banner is just a match made in digital heaven. Thanks to Jen, Lou, Bill and most of all Emily for making it happen.

The Saturday before DPS in Cambridge 2005 - I met Steve Squyres for the first time, that awesome first interview MP3. The following day, I met Emily for the first time and suggested she would make an awesome admin for UMSF.

Today at DPS in 2010 - 5 years later - UMSF becomes a part of a very special society, and the opportunity to turn this bar-room brawl into a searchable usable resource finally comes to fruition.

And how did I end the day? Passing Steve in the corridor at DPS ( on the only night he's there ) and was able to share the good news with him.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Oct 6 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3511

Congratulations!
Great news for the solar system (and beyond)... smile.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 6 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 5 2010, 06:31 PM) *
Today at DPS in 2010 - 5 years later - UMSF becomes a part of a very special society, and the opportunity to turn this bar-room brawl into a searchable usable resource finally comes to fruition.

It's a beautiful vision of the future, but please: Leave just a little sawdust on the floor? unsure.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:19 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.