Inaccuracy in reporting astronomy and science
Juramike
post May 8 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #106

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Stu @ May 8 2008, 01:52 AM) *
"Oh," she replies, "can't they [Mars] send us probes, then?"

Obviously she's thinking "sample return". Excellent!
Keep the momentum building! laugh.gif

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 8 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #107

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That's in the 'They have the internet on computers now?' ballpark of utter subject-unawareness.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 9 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #108

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That almost defies belief. blink.gif You really have to wonder just what kind of a mental picture of the Universe such people have...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post May 9 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #109

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

You SURE she's not the same as the blond big-wigged martian lady from MARS ATTACKS! ?

ack! ack-AkAk!

Ach-thbt! <no.. that's Bill-the-Cat>

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 11 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #110

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Seen in a discount bookstore recently...

( People of a nervous disposition might want to sit down before looking at this picture... )

Attached Image

Yes, you did read that correctly... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 11 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Stu @ May 11 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Yes, you did read that correctly... rolleyes.gif

Ummm. OK.

Maybe the directions are to use the telescope to view the Horoscope section of the local newspaper held upside down 100 feet away.
And BTW, you could probably also use the telescope to look at the moon and stars and stuff like that....

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 11 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #112

Merciless Robot

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The Oxford University association is particularly poignant.

If anyone can contact Stephen Hawking, send this along; he'll rip someone at Oxford a new one.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 11 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #113

The Poet Dude

The charitable Stu thinks "Printing error, crept through quality control, should have been spotted but wasn't..."

The world weary Stu thinks "IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!" (slap slap slap!!!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 11 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #114

Merciless Robot

Uh, gotta go with 'world-weary' here, big guy; this is just plain unforgiveable.

I mean, seriously: this is just beyond belief, and I'm certain that the Oxford astronomy department faculty will absolutely flip out if they see this! Somebody's head is gonna roll like a bowling ball.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 12 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #115

Member No.: 15

And here's another example of what this thread is about:

I'm sitting here watching "Faces of Earth" on the Science Channel, a geologic history of the planet, and they've gotten around to mentioning the K-T impact. The exact line they used was "Something, likely an asteroid from space, hit the Earth."

No kidding! Gee, and here I was always under the assumption it was an asteroid from New Jersey... but hey, if they say it was from space, who am I to argue?

*D'OH!*

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #116

Merciless Robot

No...despite this error, be afraid of New Jersey, be very afraid! They're gonna pour "kawfee" all over the planet, and convert it all into diners just off the Turnpike!

At night, the Sopranos come... blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 13 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #117

The Poet Dude

I showed the "astrology telescope" pic at my astronomical society meeting last night, and I swear several people almost fell off their chairs laughing... or was it crying? Hmm, not sure...!

... actually, that's a VERY clumsy way of passing on my thanks to Doug for coming up to talk to us all at that meeting here in Kendal last night. It was a superb evening, Doug's talk was brilliant, no other way of describing it, and he really impressed everyone there. There's a full report on the meeting on my blog here if anyone wants a look.

Thanks Doug!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 13 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 197

Actually Stu we want to hear the post-event pub crawling report.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 13 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #119

The Poet Dude

Afraid there was no "crawl" to report, not with some of us at work at 7am next morning and Doug on an early train home again... just a quiet (well, 'quiet' apart from the ignorant SOB who was swearing loudly at the bar, trying to prove how hard he was...) pint in an old-fashioned pub around the corner, setting the world (well, ESA!) to rights while the pub darts team got soundly thrashed in the room next door... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 13 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.