Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Astronomy posters for kids room
Guest_Oersted_*
post Mar 22 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi all,

I am looking for a nice poster of the planets for a kids room. I have seen some, but don't like them too much. I'd prefer that they show the planets in the correct relative sizes. Any good suggestions?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Mar 22 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4103

National Geographic still sells a wall map of the planets.
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/cat...oryLevelId=A106
I had one long ago, post Voyager. I don't know if they have been updated or if their service is good.

bob

+Quote Post
Tunglere
post Mar 22 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6141

I love Emily Lakdawalla's scale solar system poster; it shows everything (except the sun) with a diameter of 400 km or more (planets, dwarf planets, and moons) in correct relative sizes with approximately true colour. She explains it here: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003282/ .
And you can buy copies of the poster here: http://www.cafepress.com/planetaryshop/7024823

(As you can see in the credits, some (most?) of the pictures were processed by posters here at unmannedspaceflight.)

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Apr 18 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Guests

Thanks, those posters are just beautiful Tunglere!

+Quote Post
lyford
post Apr 19 2012, 03:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 124

(I hope this is generic enough as to not be in conflict with forum rules, mods please feel free to correct me.)

You can make your own full color 11.25" x 17.3" poster of your favorite images for only $4.99 at a certain US office supply company's website:

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/products/12...6156/index.html

After I buy Emily's awesome Solar System Worlds and Mars Family Portrait posters, I plan to make a whole collection of my favorite images from MER and Cassini!

I can't speak for the print quality, but at this price I will take a chance. smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 19 2012, 03:34 AM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

If you're a Costco member, you can get 12 by 18 prints for only $2.99; 20 by 30 for $8.99. I've printed posters there before and have been *very* happy with the print quality, given the price.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Apr 19 2012, 03:51 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 124

OK now you have me seriously adding up the membership costs to figure out my break even point!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 19 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 530

I've heard you might be able to have a member buy you a gift card to use as a non-member.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 19 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I'm pretty certain a member can upload an image, pay with a credit card and have the poster mailed to someone else as a gift.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 20 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4489

---edit---

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.