14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL EDL Hardware, Its state & fate
stevesliva
post Sep 5 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

They decided not to burn to depletion-- mentioned here before and after the event many times. I wonder if they figured they could learn something about skycrane performance by measuring the distance flown away and comparing it to the preprogammed burn time. Maybe they learned it didn't go quite as far as they expected, for instance. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaputnik
post Sep 5 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #167

Member No.: 6457

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Sep 5 2012, 09:05 PM) *
They decided not to burn to depletion-- mentioned here before and after the event many times. I wonder if they figured they could learn something about skycrane performance by measuring the distance flown away and comparing it to the preprogammed burn time. Maybe they learned it didn't go quite as far as they expected, for instance. huh.gif

Probably going over old ground here, but my understanding is that the descent stage, once cut free, had no 'brain' as such and would only follow the pre-programmed set of commands to the engines. The safest option was to give it commands that would tilt it to the north, fire at full throttle for six seconds, and then shut off.
The longer the stage is thrusting, the more likely it is to risk adopting an undesirable attitude, e.g. tumbling, thus posing a potential risk to the rover.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 5 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Kaputnik @ Sep 5 2012, 03:55 PM) *
Probably going over old ground here, but my understanding is that the descent stage, once cut free, had no 'brain' as such...

[This discussion is in the wrong thread.]

See page 19 of http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstre...0/1/11-1328.pdf

Fly Away Segment.
After touchdown is declared, transition to flyaway begins. Flyaway is performed using the flyaway
controller executing on the descent stage processor (SPARC) in the Descent Motor Control Assembly
(DMCA) on the descent stage. The following events occur after touchdown is declared:

1. Descent stage slows down to 0 m/s.
2. Controlled [sic] transferred from Rover Compute Element (RCE) to DMCA.
3. Bridle and electrical umbilical are cut.

Once the bridle and electrical umbilical are cut, the flyaway controller exhibits three phases:

1. Hover – Used for the period of time required to cut the electrical umbilical between the rover and
the descent stage.
2. Ascent – To maintain MLE plume ground pressure below landing pressure, the descent stage trav-
els straight up.
3. Turn and Burn – Two of the MLE engines are brought to 100% while the other two engines are at
slightly less than 100%, causing the descent stage to pitch about the descent stage Y-axis to 45°.
Once the turn duration is complete, all four engines are brought to 100% with the controller mak-
ing adjustments for maintaining zero attitude rates. Constant thrust is applied for enough time to
ensure that the descent stage will impact the surface at least 150 m from the rover’s position.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 6 2012, 01:11 AM
Post #169

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

No motion between +6 and +12 sols.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 6 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #170

Founder

That paper is slightly outdated. I believe the throttle level ended up being 60% ( about twice what it was during the hover phase...which is actually a continual .75m/sec downward motion of the descent stage toward the ground ) And it ran for approx 6 seconds.

D

+Quote Post
john_s
post Sep 6 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #171

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 5 2012, 05:39 PM) *
Constant thrust is applied for enough time to
ensure that the descent stage will impact the surface at least 150 m from the rover’s position.

Interesting number- "150 m" is about the size of the impact debris field, and that errant fragment to the south-west flew about a kilometer.

John

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Sep 6 2012, 01:37 AM
Post #172

Member No.: 3511

That's a weird straight edge the (disappearing disc part) of the chute left behind ... blink.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Sep 6 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #173

Member No.: 193

No HiRise anaglyphs of (all of) the hardware has yet been posted as far as I know, so here my versions, in 2 x the original size, moderately sharpened and/or color adjusted. The rover, the backshell and parachute, plus a special version of the rover, blown up 3 times from the original. (My first post in MSL threads.)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Sep 6 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #174

Member No.: 193

Continuing... the ds impact site and the heatshield.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Sep 6 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 251

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 5 2012, 07:11 PM) *
No motion between +6 and +12 sols.

What is that dark area moving across the backshell (5 o'clock - 4 o'clock positions)? Almost looks like a very slow moving cloud.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 6 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #176

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (john_s @ Sep 5 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Interesting number- "150 m" is about the size of the impact debris field...

Right, but the debris is all in the forward scattering 180 degrees. The chance of something bouncing straight back would seem to be remote. Of course, I don't know how the descent stage engineers feel about the size of the debris field.

http://www.engr.utexas.edu/features/marsskycrane

After the landing, it was confirmed that the flight distance was about 650 meters (more than 2,000 feet), which was way beyond our minimum flight distance requirement.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 6 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #177

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (ddeerrff @ Sep 6 2012, 04:37 PM) *
What is that dark area moving across the backshell
Changing lighting (sun) direction between the frames.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 6 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #178

Founder

QUOTE (ddeerrff @ Sep 6 2012, 08:37 AM) *
What is that dark area moving across the backshell (5 o'clock - 4 o'clock positions)? Almost looks like a very slow moving cloud.

Just changing lighting conditions. It would have to be one heck of a cloud to move like that over a 12 day period.

+Quote Post
markril
post Sep 7 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #179

Member No.: 6526

Here's another anaglyph of the sky crane impact site, this one animated before & after:

Attached Image

Mark

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 7 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #180

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Oh that is really cool. You can see how secondary impact spots made long dark disturbances when they occurred on flatter areas, but were confined to smaller impact dots where they crashed into slopes facing the impact site.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.