4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Closed TopicStart new topic
MSL's Power Source
pospa
post Nov 23 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 5979

DoE's Idaho National Laboratory (MMRTG supplier) has released some virtual tour from their manufacturing and testing activities on the MSL unit.
Similarly as James in other thread I was surprised how is the finished unit treated without any strict requirements for super-clean environment...

... at one moment I'd swear I saw shoulders of Homer Simpson holding one plutonium pellet with pincers. biggrin.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monty python
post Nov 24 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 692

Thanks pospa. I learned a lot from that.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 12 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 13

I saw a presentation on YouTube where it was stated that the RTG produces 2000 thermal watts and 110 electrical watts. So only 110 watts is sufficient to move a one-ton rover around? Also it was mentioned that the X-ray instrument consumes 4 kw, so I guess there's some kind of storage to handle the peak demands?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 12 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #49

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

MSL has a battery, just like MER. Don't think of the MMRTG as MSL's power source. Think of it as solar arrays that always see the sunshine. It charges the batteries and then the batteries drive all the stuff on the rover. The battery can be recharged overnight.

Peak consumption is > 110 watts - especially when heating things before driving or using the arm.

Where did you see the 4kw value for the 'X-Ray instrument' ? Only thing I can find suggests that CheMin's XRay source uses about 42 watts.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 13 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #50

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 12 2012, 04:19 PM) *
MSL has a battery, just like MER. Don't think of the MMRTG as MSL's power source. Think of it as solar arrays that always see the sunshine. It charges the batteries and then the batteries drive all the stuff on the rover. The battery can be recharged overnight.

Peak consumption is > 110 watts - especially when heating things before driving or using the arm.

I wonder how expensive (in watts) driving works out to be.

Where did you see the 4kw value for the 'X-Ray instrument' ? Only thing I can find suggests that CheMin's XRay source uses about 42 watts.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3nJSqc2Uck

At the 25:51 mark he refers to a "40-thousand watt X-ray beam." I did some searching around & I think he just misspoke and meant to say a 40 KeV x-ray beam.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 13 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #51

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 12 2012, 05:09 PM) *
I wonder how expensive (in watts) driving works out to be.

Not too bad. The killer is the heating requirement to get the rover ready to drive. That's something on the order of 600 Whrs.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 13 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 13 2012, 03:22 AM) *
Not too bad. The killer is the heating requirement to get the rover ready to drive. That's something on the order of 600 Whrs.

Is that needed to heat up the joints/bearings? So I guess the ~2000 thermal watts from the RTG are not available for that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 13 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 13 2012, 07:43 AM) *
Is that needed to heat up the joints/bearings? So I guess the ~2000 thermal watts from the RTG are not available for that?

The fluid loop that's warmed by the RTG only goes inside the rover body; the actuators and other extremities have to be heated electrically.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #54

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

What fluid is used in the loop, Mike? An ammonia solution?

EDIT: Found a reference to freon, but not sure if that's for the mechanically-pumped system used during transit to Mars or the MSL surface ops system (if they indeed do use different fluids.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 13 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 13 2012, 12:22 AM) *

And that is why the available drive time unfortunately will still depend on the season. mad.gif

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 13 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2012, 02:26 PM) *
What fluid is used in the loop, Mike?

According to http://ntrs.larc.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=201...ICAL%2BSCIENCES both the cruise and surface systems use CFC-11 (freon).

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #57

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Ah. Thanks!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MarsEngineer
post Jul 14 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 661

The cooling loop (heat rejection subsystem or HRS) on the rover is very similar to the one on the cruise stage that runs around the cruise stage and down into the rover. This is based on the same design we first used on Mars Pathfinder then MER for the cruise HRS. Same dual redundant pumps on all of these loops.

I really love them. Essentially they maintain the rover body near room temperature most of the time taken from heat from the hot MMRTG that would otherwise radiate out to the Mars environment. As Paolo points out though, the rover freon only controls the temperature inside the rover but not its appendages. We need old fashioned electric heaters for that.

-Rob

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.