Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno development, launch, and cruise, Including Earth flyby imaging Oct 9 2013
Explorer1
post Jul 13 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Thanks for the link punkboi.

Each titanium wall measures nearly a square meter (nearly 9 square feet) in area, about 1 centimeter (a third of an inch) in thickness, and 18 kilograms (40 pounds) in mass. This titanium box -- about the size of an SUV's trunk - encloses Juno's command and data handling box [...] and about 20 other electronic assemblies. The whole vault weighs about 200 kilograms (500 pounds).

Wow, even with that much protection, the mission is suppose to last barely over a year before deorbiting? This sure puts Galileo's achievements in perspective, doesn't it (different orbit notwithstanding)?

Also, what are those big red things labelled 'remove before flight' sticking on the top of Juno, in that photo?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 13 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #227

Member No.: 590

I wonder when we'll start seeing regular updates on the Juno mission web site?

http://juno.wisc.edu/index_whatsnew.html

Just one year to launch, so they ought to have things to post now. I realize outreach is often a thankless job, so that's not meant to sound like a complaint. :-)

--Greg

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Jul 13 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #228

Member No.: 4093

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Also, what are those big red things labelled 'remove before flight' sticking on the top of Juno, in that photo?

If you ask ugordan (post related to Phoenix), the inside of the 'remove before flight' tags look like this rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 13 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #229

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

An update eh? Well, JEDI looked good when I saw it a couple of hours ago wink.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Frank Crary
post Jul 13 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 5240

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 13 2010, 06:54 AM) *
Wow, even with that much protection, the mission is suppose to last barely over a year before deorbiting? This sure puts Galileo's achievements in perspective, doesn't it (different orbit notwithstanding)?

Galileo was on a very different orbit. It spent almost no time in the worst parts of the radiation belts. Between orbital insertion and about a year or so into extended mission, Galileo never went inside the orbit of Europa. Juno will be spending a much larger fraction of its time in the high flux parts of Jupiter's magnetosphere. The orbit is designed to avoid that, at first, but the orbit precesses over the course of a year. I think the total, unshielded dose for Juno is estimates at three or four times what they think Galileo was exposed to.

The red tag is on one of the reaction control thruster towers. They probably want the nozzles covered during shipping and handling.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 14 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #231

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (Frank Crary @ Jul 13 2010, 01:08 PM) *
The red tag is on one of the reaction control thruster towers. They probably want the nozzles covered during shipping and handling.

Thanks for the answer. I imagine they don't want those parts bumping into anything too much.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 4 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #232

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

They just posted a new Juno artist's concept on Photojournal. It seems to have very minor updates to the one posted in 2009 except for one thing that's kind of inexplicable. It's mirrored relative to the 2009 one. I compared the 2011 one to the 2009 one and it looks to me like it's the 2011 one that's backwards, with the Red Spot rotating in the wrong direction. But I wasn't confident enough about that to send an email to anyone -- can someone here confirm?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 4 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 523

Looks like you're right. The Jupiter map is from Cassini and it's definitely mirrored left-right: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07782.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr. Milton Banan...
post Jan 6 2011, 03:56 AM
Post #234

Member No.: 5587

Will there be any investigation of thunderstorm activity, and if so, what kind?

--------------------
"Yes! To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance...was was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it??"

+Quote Post
Frank Crary
post Jan 6 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #235

Member No.: 5240

QUOTE (Mr. Milton Banana @ Jan 6 2011, 03:56 AM) *
Will there be any investigation of thunderstorm activity, and if so, what kind?

If you mean cloud and storm imaging, I'm pretty sure there is going to be quite a bit of that in the visible and IR. If you mean night-side images of lightning flashes, I don't think that will be possible. During the perijove phase of the orbit, the spacecraft is over the day side. I'm fairly sure JunoCam and JIRAM can't point off nadir at all. I do think we'll get whistler data from Waves. That's caused by lighting and has been used as a measure of overall activity (as well as the source latitude.)

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Jan 27 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #236

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (Frank Crary @ Jan 6 2011, 03:43 PM) *
If you mean cloud and storm imaging, I'm pretty sure there is going to be quite a bit of that in the visible and IR. If you mean night-side images of lightning flashes, I don't think that will be possible. During the perijove phase of the orbit, the spacecraft is over the day side. I'm fairly sure JunoCam and JIRAM can't point off nadir at all. I do think we'll get whistler data from Waves. That's caused by lighting and has been used as a measure of overall activity (as well as the source latitude.)

I think a key advance would be movie making of jupiter atmospheric dynamics, which Galileo could not do and HST is not funded to do. Hope they will have some long stare times! Maybe some Io plume monitoring too?

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 27 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #237

Member No.: 4057

Junocam has too low resolution for some Io plume monitoring, but JIRAM can theoretically image Io with comparable resolution as NIMS imaging spectrometer. So it can detects hot spots and so on.
But Juno is spinning platform so any Io targeting can be only matter of luck, because Io monitoring isn't one of mission's or even instrument's (JIRAM) objectives.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 27 2011, 03:28 AM
Post #238

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (machi @ Jan 27 2011, 12:23 AM) *
Junocam has too low resolution for some Io plume monitoring, but JIRAM can theoretically image Io with comparable resolution as NIMS imaging spectrometer. So it can detects hot spots and so on.
But Juno is spinning platform so any Io targeting can be only matter of luck, because Io monitoring isn't one of mission's or even instrument's (JIRAM) objectives.

Other than maybe detect some gross albedo changes near the polar regions that are always highly foreshortened to earth-based telescopes, it is unlikely Junocam will do much with Io.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jan 27 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #239

Member No.: 5458

Whats the expected pariapsis of Juno? Will cloud shadows be visible at that range?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 27 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #240

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(spacecraft)
CODE
Orbital elements
Regime    Polar
Periapsis    4300 km (2671 miles)

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.