http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0630_Ma...ate_Spirit.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 1 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #33

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Interesting description of this odd hazcam frame.
"We were doing just a standard IDD unstow and it stopped part way through the unstow process. It scared the living daylights out of us, because this IDD is the one with the problem with the shoulder," recalled Squyres. "We thought something terrible might have happened."
It turned out to be an obscure "angle 360 wrapping" bug.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 2 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #34

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 1 2007, 10:53 PM) *
It turned out to be an obscure "angle 360 wrapping" bug.

The detailed description of the bug is actually a bit funny, but probably only to an engineer. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Aug 2 2007, 04:01 AM
Post #35

Guests

http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0731_Ma...ers_Update.html

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 2 2007, 05:17 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 152

Lot's of info in this one.
The only way to get rid of the dust is to let it slowly settle out. A typical rate, Lemmon said, is something like one percent a day. "So even if all the storms on Mars shut down today, you're talking about two or three months before you're back to normal levels."
And what the heck is going on here:
If Mars wasn't enough of a challenge, the rovers are now facing a death threat down here on Earth, as a bill wending its way through the Senate threatens to shut down the rovers and pull the funding plug. It's part of the continued budget cuts from the science programs at NASA to fund the return to the Moon announced by Pres. Bush in January 2004 as part of his new Vision for Space Exploration.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Aug 2 2007, 05:54 AM
Post #37

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Minor conversion error in there:
"It's cooler by 10 to 20 degrees Celsius [50 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit]

Well no, that would be 18 to 36 degrees Fahrenheit since this is a delta not an absolute temperature.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 2 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #38

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

A little off topic here, but I saw this on the UMSF login screen:

Attached Image

It looks like the The Planetary Society is thinking waaaay beyond the Solar Sail. wink.gif

You go!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Eluchil
post Aug 3 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 972

An excellent update as usual. The comments on the low power fault protection mode seemed a bit odd to me though. Didn't Spirit enter it when it experienced the early continuous reset anomaly?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 3 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #40

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yes it did, but because of the reset issue, it couldn't really follow it through with normal low power fault ops.

Doug

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 4 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 116

Wow! I'm not even going to attempt to elaborate beyond that update. Salley, if you are reading this, that was one of your best ever updates. I feel updated on several levels. wink.gif

As I read through it I was collecting quotes to comment on, but I loved the one you ended with...

In reflecting on the last several weeks, Squyres typically put things in perspective. "No one's ever known what it's like to be in one of these storms," he said. "We're lucky we've lasted long enough to experience this. We may come out the other side and we may not. If we do come through the other side -- okay, it's going to be one more phenomenal accomplishment for the mission. If we don't, well, this is one of the two acceptable ways for the rovers to go."

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Sep 2 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1638

http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0831_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

Looks like Steve Squyres was busy with other rovers (and polar bears) this month:

Squyres was leading a team to test out past and present life-seeking instruments for future Mars rovers on NASA's Arctic Mars Analog Svalbard Expedition and facing "some very challenging conditions," as he put it. "In 10 years of doing rover field tests, it turned out to be the first time I've had a command approval meeting interrupted by a polar bear," he elaborated. The humans stood down, the bear was diverted from the test rovers, and Squyres returned to his Cornell University MER base in one piece earlier this week.

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Sep 2 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 1638

More from NASA's Arctic Mars Analog Svalbard Expedition:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/amase/index.html

Steve's journal entry:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/new...e07_entry5.html

+Quote Post
tty
post Sep 2 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 273

I wonder why they chose Svalbard? Admittedly it is the part of the Arctic that it is simplest and cheapest to get to (but definitely not the safest part since it has a very high density of polar bears). However it has a very maritime arctic climate. I would have thought that a dry arctic environment (e. g. northeastern Greenland, Wrangel's land or the Parry archipelago) would be much more relevant for Martian research.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 3 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 116

Hehe...I guess it is good to hear that Steve managed to avoid being eaten by a bear. There is a high probability he will survive the rovers, too. cool.gif

It might be interesting to hear more about why this location was chosen for the tests. But after reading the descriptions of the experiments that were performed, they seemed more aimed at simulating communications between a rover's instruments and its controllers on Earth. If that is the case, the local climatic conditions might be of secondary importance.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.