3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - landing day, Got any plans?
Seryddwr
post May 1 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6058

On a light note, has anyone made any plans for 5 August? It is, after all, less than one hundred days away now, and I'm sure Mars is getting very big in the window for ol' Curiosity.

I hope they'll get a webcast going. I'll be frantically clicking on 'refresh' on here come what may!...

[MOD NOTE: Topic moved to Chit Chat for obvious reasons.]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 1 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Could be tricky... I'll be travelling, coming back to Victoria BC from a stay in Tofino that day. Where will I be at the time? Will I have internet? The pain of uncertainty will be offset by the pleasure of being on Vancouver Island. What tho' the spicy breezes...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post May 1 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 114

I hope they'll get a webcast going.

I see why not. Its so exciting to watch as it happens.

I did barbecue during phoenix. And I plan to do it during MSL web-cast.

+Quote Post
stewjack
post May 1 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 379

According to Wikipedia planned landing is the evening of August 5 PDT, which is morning of August 6 UT.

<HUMOR>
Assuming this turns out to be correct. Then in my CDT time zone: the way I figure it, if I stay awake till 3AM at the latest I should get all important available information. Then I can sleep about six hours and be back on line no later than 9:00 AM! I will leave my computer on so I won't need to boot up. Will stock up on snacks and microwave meals. cool.gif

Since I am retired nothing should get in the way, although the fact that it will be August in Mississippi, and I am about 1500 feet / (500 m) from the Gulf of Mexico - certainly could change my plans! huh.gif

Seriously, I think I will wait to make detailed plans. I sometimes over-plan laugh.gif
</HUMOR>

I wonder how much time Curiosity will spend near the landing site checking system status, and I guess functional testing of the instruments. No driving off of a landing stage anyway.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 2 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

My current plan is to be at work, to see if I can be of any help to the HiRISE folks.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 2 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 98

Planetfest sounds good.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 2 2012, 03:30 AM
Post #7

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The Society will be having a Planetfest in Pasadena, for those of you eager to celebrate (or mourn) with 2000 other rabid fans. There is discussion of trying to create satellite Planetfests; I'm not sure how likely that is to come to pass. I am 95% certain that our event will be webcast. How much value will be added to NASA TV I'm not sure (since we will be relying on NASA TV for the feed from mission control), but our event will be webcast.

As for me, I plan to be jumping up and down at JPL.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 2 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Hopefully the Pasadena Planetfest, provided that my bloody job doesn't get in the way as it is wont to do...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 2 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16

The landing is very early on Monday morning in the UK so I'll be going to bed early and then getting up and watching from home from around an hour before entry.

I'm then taking the whole week off work to follow and learn how to handle MSL data smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post May 2 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 172

On our side in France, we, at Societe Astronomique de France (which represents also TPS in France) and at the Mars Society, are planning to do a live event in Paris like we did before for the landings of MPF (1997), MPL (1999), Spririt and Opportunity (2004) and Phoenix (2008), with a NASA-TV internet feed.
The only problem is that the MSL lands early Monday morning (August 6) for us, around 5:00 am ECT and that our National museums are closed in Paris at this time. It's difficult for us to have them open at night for the Public, especially for safety measures (we need a minimum of security and at least 1 fireman), and we are working hard on this. I'll keep you informed mars.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 2 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #11

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Do we know what the image release policy will be?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 2 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Administrator

As far as I know, all images from all imaging instruments will be released quickly, same policy as with MER and Cassini. However, I don't know whether the metadata available will be more MER-like or more Cassini-like. Let's hope for the former smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 2 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1200

I know what i will be doing:

CODE
void Agugust5()
{
  if (landed(MSL) == TRUE)
  {
     work(myA**, off);
  } else {
     write(resume);
  }
}

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 2 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Administrator

Oh, that's dark, Paolo! (Welcome back, stranger!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 2 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 98

Dark but very funny.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.